• By the end of the year 24

• Spring 25

• Autumn 25

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmenphis

Chieftain
Civilization 6 was officialy announced in May. I think May is the last month when Firaxis can announce Civ7, if they want to release it in the year 2024. When do you think they will officially announce Civ7?

I’m gonna go with this month (May), like Civ 6 as you said. If not that, I fully expect it to be announced in the summer.

I don't recall such eager for the release of Civ6 or any other sequel...? IIRC, the forums were still active (at least a little bit more than today) and the announce was quite a "surprise" (at least for some) ? Does that mean that the forum is mostly frequented by regulars that tend to intellectualize a little too much the upcoming sequel ? Does that mean that Civ6 is not that enjoyable, after all ? Or does that mean that the audience is sparsed out, some check the GOTM forums and play those games (I don't anymore because I know I have no chance to compete) regularly, some stick to the I&S subforum (like me) and has little to say for Civ7 because anyway it's supposedly in development already and everything has been said about everyone's wishes (see my sig), some just play online with randoms (like me) but not that much anymore because only one can win and everybody quit before the end (a real problem, at least "with randoms" : puns make for no official give up, just rough quits, and quits with players>AI in Prince difficulty make for unbalanced, wasted games not to mention those who conquer city-States that I don't like), etc. In other words, is Civ6 too much "stray" (thx Google Trad) to federate players at least on classical solo and has seen too much "niche" emerging ?

So a better question would be IMO : why do you wait for Civ7, if so, and by which intensity ? (1 to 10)

Technically, we know they are working on "the next chapter in the series". So, it's already been soft announced. If it's coming out this year, the release date will probably be revealed before the Take Two investor meeting, which is approximately May 15th. The meeting always covers major releases for the current fiscal year. It would be bad marketing if we learned that Civ 7 is going to be released in the next 10 months from the investor meeting (which is public). If we don't hear anything in the next few weeks or at the investor meeting, then it's not coming out until after April 1st, 2025.

You won't see a date this early, best hope for is year of release. The marketing of game means nothing is revealed until about 30 days prior to release and mostly the last 3-7 days. Anything else would not work to build up demand for a quick download and play within 10 days of release. After release expect bug fixes within the first quarter and then things will stabilize and we should have a good new game.

Technically, we know they are working on "the next chapter in the series". So, it's already been soft announced. If it's coming out this year, the release date will probably be revealed before the Take Two investor meeting, which is approximately May 15th. The meeting always covers major releases for the current fiscal year. It would be bad marketing if we learned that Civ 7 is going to be released in the next 10 months from the investor meeting (which is public). If we don't hear anything in the next few weeks or at the investor meeting, then it's not coming out until after April 1st, 2025.
Ah, here it is. The meeting will be held on Thursday, May 16th

If anyone recalls, the April monthly challenge ends on May 14th.

I don't recall such eager for the release of Civ6 or any other sequel...? IIRC, the forums were still active (at least a little bit more than today) and the announce was quite a "surprise" (at least for some) ? Does that mean that the forum is mostly frequented by regulars that tend to intellectualize a little too much the upcoming sequel ? Does that mean that Civ6 is not that enjoyable, after all ? Or does that mean that the audience is sparsed out, some check the GOTM forums and play those games (I don't anymore because I know I have no chance to compete) regularly, some stick to the I&S subforum (like me) and has little to say for Civ7 because anyway it's supposedly in development already and everything has been said about everyone's wishes (see my sig), some just play online with randoms (like me) but not that much anymore because only one can win and everybody quit before the end (a real problem, at least "with randoms" : puns make for no official give up, just rough quits, and quits with players>AI in Prince difficulty make for unbalanced, wasted games not to mention those who conquer city-States that I don't like), etc. In other words, is Civ6 too much "stray" (thx Google Trad) to federate players at least on classical solo and has seen too much "niche" emerging ?

So a better question would be IMO : why do you wait for Civ7, if so, and by which intensity ? (1 to 10)
I think it's the timing and pacing.

I don't think 6 is bad per say, it has it's flaws.

But it's unique in that it is I believe the longest lasting game before the next generation has been released.

Civ 1 was released in 1991.
Civ 2 was released in 1996, 5 years after the first.
Civ 3 was released in 2001, 5 years after the second.
Civ 4 was released in 2005, 4 years after the third.
Civ 5 was released in 2010, 5 years after the fourth.
and Civ 6 was released in 2016, 6 years after the fifth.

It's been 8 years since the 6 was actually released,

Brave New World was released in 2013, 3 years before Civ 6 released.

While Leader Pass, the most recent DLC pack, was released 2022.

So while it hasn't been THAT long, Civ 6 has had an unusual (for the series), but common (for the industry) lifespan.

So we're geting antsy.

If the next installment isn't announced by the end of summer, its definitely not coming out this year.

Civ 1 was released in 1991.
Civ 2 was released in 1996, 5 years after the first.
Civ 3 was released in 2001, 5 years after the second.
Civ 4 was released in 2005, 4 years after the third.
Civ 5 was released in 2010, 5 years after the fourth.
and Civ 6 was released in 2016, 6 years after the fifth.
To add a bit:
Civ 1 was released in November
Civ 2 in February
Civ 3 in October
Civ 4 in October
Civ 5 in September
Civ 6 in October

September/October are also the prime months for the release of new novels, because that makes them available for rthe Chirstmas/Holiday season, the biggest retail season of the year.

5 months from October is: May.
That's about the shortest time you would want for a run-up/advertising campaign to the release of the game. It could be done faster, but the Civ franchise is big enough to generate a lot of commentary and publicity throughout the gaming industry, all of which boost sales and so I doubt they would give up that to rush a game out immediately after announcing it.

And since they have never published a new game of base Civ after October, it's announcement this month or 2025, I suspect.

It doesn't seem like it's been that long since civ6 was released, but I guess it has. How long has it been since Gathering Storm XP? I imagine most of the lead designers were still working on that, and only after that will a majority of people be free to work on the next game I would think. I still don't see an announcement until later this year or early next year.

It doesn't seem like it's been that long since civ6 was released, but I guess it has. How long has it been since Gathering Storm XP? I imagine most of the lead designers were still working on that, and only after that will a majority of people be free to work on the next game I would think. I still don't see an announcement until later this year or early next year.
Gathering Storm came out in February 2019​
15 months later the 'Season Pass' New Frontier Pass came out in May 2020 - exactly 4 years ago.​
Since Civ 2, there has been an 'Expansion Pack' or 'Season Pass' or new game every 23 to 42 months.​
It has now been 91 months since Civ 6 came out, and 48 months since the last Season Pass/Expansion.​

Even if they said the game is a year away (which would be extremely long for Firaxis standards) and gave bare minimum information, I'd still be happy - I think it says a lot that even these forums have completely lost willingness to speculate about civ7 while having nothing tangible at all :p

Just give us a few early screenshots to get a glimpse of artistic direction and philosophy of the game, and a few sentences of promises, and some nice trailer theme...

Intensity is between 7 and 8.

I want to see what the future holds for my favorite 4X game. I've devoted some amount of effort in learning to play Civ3 and BERT (Beyond Earth Rising Tide) well. Civ4 was/is fun, while it keeps tripping me up where it is not like Civ3. I've never tried Vox Populi for Civ5, but I do have BNW. Even though they're based on the same engine, I find BERT much more fun than Civ5. I can grow/tech my way ouf of the health deficit (= Civ5 happiness deficit), which fits my overall style in all the games of "building an empire to stand the test of time."

Civ6 had so much innovation -- districts, victory conditions, great people -- coupled with some fizzles / misfires (yes, I'm looking at you, World Congress). In the last 4 years, they have also innovated in how the game is expanded, sold, and enhanced. What will they do next? Which of the parts of Civ6 will be retained? Which parts will be replaced?

On a very practical level, I bought my current computer with the goal of playing Civ6. I am waiting to see if I need to get a new computer to play Civ7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom