Where are ciV competitors?

the entire series has a quite solid TBS campain game and you can always skip the battles if you wish
medieval TW2 is one of the best TBS on the market ... these games just also happen to have some RTS that is great fun
Sure. Total War is a totally TBS series. Totally playable without RTS. I hear you.
Uh-huh...
With just a piiiinch of RTS, which is fun (for you - who gives a flying duck about the OP).

I'm having fun with the Magna Mundi mod for EU3. (you can get it for EU3 complete "Magna Mundi Platinum" or EU3 Heir to the Throne "Magna Mundi Ultimate" no version for Divine Wind yet) There is as much new content in that for at least 3-4 new real expansions and it makes the game harder. Download it from the EU3 forum.

Turn based strategy game better then Civ ?
Hmmm I don't think you will be successful in your search..

I hear Civ 4.5 is coming out after they release something called SDK. I have high hopes for that one.

Sure. Total War is a totally TBS series. Totally playable without RTS. I hear you.
Uh-huh...
With just a piiiinch of RTS, which is fun (for you - who gives a flying duck about the OP).

There is nothing wrong about what he said. The campaign mode is turn based and you don't have to fight the battles.

Why so serious?

There is nothing wrong about what he said. The campaign mode is turn based and you don't have to fight the battles.

Why so serious?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd bet you forgot that frase is a meme when you used it.:lol:

I've seen the Total War series mentioned (and then shot down) a few times here of course, but I also wanted to mention that Rome: Total War has a GREAT (and still active) modding community. By far, the best implementation of the TW series has been the mod Rome: Total Realism (http://www.rometotalrealism.org/index-2.html)

The strategic level is still quite flat compared to civ, but still compelling, especially with all the AI scripting and improvements the RTR team has done. The battles are out of this world, and the armies are gorgeous.

Nah, Europa barbarorum is the bestest mod of them all for RTW

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

They are also remaking this mod for MTW2 which I just can't wait for. No doubt that's gonna be amazing. :)

Uh-huh...
sorry to offend buddy, but i do think that the total war series has a very solid TBS game (possable exeption for shogun TW, bit simple TBS but u can excuse that for the fact it was the first!) I dont play to many battles, just the ones that i really HAVE to win (and the ones that are going to be lotsa fun), and there is no reason that there is a "need" to play the battles

and as to flying ducks and the OP, IMO most people that enjoy civ type games will find some kind of enjoyment from the TW series, hence the recomendation

I dont play to many battles, just the ones that i really HAVE to win (and the ones that are going to be lotsa fun), and there is no reason that there is a "need" to play the battles
If you have to play some battles in RTS in order to be able to win the game, then it's definitely not a TBS as you'll be forced to go real-time in order to finish the game.
This is why I dislike this kind of mixed games. The TBS part adds a nice strategy layer, but it remains mostly a RTS, and if you don't enjoy that part, the whole game is ruined.

It's always better managing by yourself the battles than using autoresolve. Said that, it's playable like a TBS if you want... The problem is that the TBS part is not so deep and too flawed, expecially in the diplo side....

To all the haters:

I am thinking of migrating to other strategy games and was wondering if you guys can recommend soemthing. 'Shogun 2 -total war' is comming this spring so I go tthat on my radar. How about any other good strategy games? Hearts of Iron-3 look way too statistic oriented and mindnumbing.

I am more of age of empires kind of guy- those graph-games like Victoria and Hearts of Iron3 scare me.

EU III looks like a great game- EXCEPT for dull graphs and statistics everywhere. I wish they put more animations and made map with mountains and little strees and stuff, like CONQUEST of teh AMERICAS have.

Yup, in all of the OP's posts, he's explicitly stated wanting a TBS/4x, exactly right. :rolleyes:

No, he said strategy game. He mentions liking the TW series by name.

In fact, he mentions an RTS in his second post. But how dare people try and be helpful and post game titles that comply with his request. What a bunch of buttholes we all are. The posts with absolutely no content regarding the OP's request are much more helpful. (I can't believe this got a rise out of me, I need to quit the internets)

Back on topic. I haven't seen anything by http://www.strategyfirst.com/ mentioned. Their games are usually clones of other popular titles, but you can often find a gem.

Thanks for that. That game looks pretty cool. Kind of Age of Empiresish. :)

Yeah with a mix of total war lol, I read about it in a forum a while ago and some members bought it and said they quite liked it. I was thinking of getting it but then forgot it for a while. Just saw that it was in promo fon steam for 3 bucks or something and just missed out on it :lol: ah well. Really not sure what to think of the game :crazyeye: Ima downloading the demo to see how it feels. Hope it blows my mind :please:

Yeah with a mix of total war lol, I read about it in a forum a while ago and some members bought it and said they quite liked it. I was thinking of getting it but then forgot it for a while. Just saw that it was in promo fon steam for 3 bucks or something and just missed out on it :lol: ah well. Really not sure what to think of the game :crazyeye: Ima downloading the demo to see how it feels. Hope it blows my mind :please:

3 bucks? Wow...

I'll wait for it to go on sale again then I think I'll pick it up.

I would buy any quality strategy game released, but they are few and far between. There is Heroes VI (but I will not buy with current DRM system from Ubisoft) on the way. I love Kings Bounty, but nothing new on the horison there. Basically there is nothing new that I know of. I think that Elemental: War of Magic is improving for every patch, but I have a while to go yet.

I am reminded why I love this forum, I see all my favorite games represented among the suggestions. While obviously the civilization franchise is King, if you're looking for other decent games, I'll second those who suggested:

EUIII
Play your favorite historical empire and try to match or exceed their glory! I cannot adequately summarize the depth of this game. It is more cerebral than civ, but very deep and quite satisfying. I haven't even played the latest expansions of this like Divine wind, so it's likely even better than I know by now.

Torchlight
A $5 Diablo clone whose value far exceeds the price point. Five bucks won't even get you into a movie, I had about 20-30 hours of fun with this one. It's not a TBS though, obviously.

Galactic Civilizations II
I think this is as close to CIV gameplay as I can think of without being a civilization game. It is a solid game in it's own right, a space based 4x game in the vein of the old Master of Orion series. I got many hours of fun from this, and I hear there is a decent multiplayer scene although I haven't tried it. Comparing it to MOO makes me sad though, because galciv lacks the tactical combat of the former, something I've never been able to stop feeling disappointed about.

I only read the first few pages of the thread but I didn't see anyone suggest:

Battle for Wesnoth
It's free, made by fans of the genre for your enjoyment! It features hex based 1upt combat, and is in a good state with nice (although somewhat dated) looking graphics. I think this is the most impressive and complete fan-created open source game in existence, and you have nothing to lose by trying it! 10 hrs of fun at least, depending on one's taste.

Europa Universalis 3 is amazing, but it takes awhile to get into, and even longer to get over the fact that the AI cheats horribly.

Europa Universalis 3 is amazing, but it takes awhile to get into, and even longer to get over the fact that the AI cheats horribly.

I never noticed myself, although I don't doubt you. Whether that is testament to the game's immersion or my gullibility is debatable :lol:

Top Bottom