Where are ciV competitors?

Conquest of the New World is a good blast from the past and I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

If we're going Old School here, then Imperialism and Imperialism 2 have to make the list. My all-time favorites. Both can be found online for free (legally). Great games.

Don't even ask "better than"...if there were at least some...

Is Elemental finally in some playable state?
Many say 1.1 is finally "it", and that it brought very substantial improvements. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, 1.1 is often broken on my PC, while I was able to play 1.0 all the time :cry:

But when 1.1 does work, it is actually quite great.

If we're going Old School here, then Imperialism and Imperialism 2 have to make the list. My all-time favorites. Both can be found online for free (legally). Great games.
Another vote for Imperialism 1 and 2. Truly excellent games, but don't have quite the depth of Civ IV.

I've seen the Total War series mentioned (and then shot down) a few times here of course, but I also wanted to mention that Rome: Total War has a GREAT (and still active) modding community. By far, the best implementation of the TW series has been the mod Rome: Total Realism (http://www.rometotalrealism.org/index-2.html)

The strategic level is still quite flat compared to civ, but still compelling, especially with all the AI scripting and improvements the RTR team has done. The battles are out of this world, and the armies are gorgeous.

It's quite strange, though: the OP very clearly stated that he/she is looking for a 4X TBS similar to Civilization. And yet, here we have all this huge number of people suggesting a tactical real time game. While I myself had some fun playing Rome:TW and EU:Rome (and Victoria I), neither of these belongs in this thread.

At least keep it TBS.

Only with the Stainless Steel mod.

Yup, SS makes it like Medieval 1 right? With the titles that you can put onto your generals to increase their skill?

Also, it's not strictly "turn based" (though neither is TW), and is centered on you as a single person (but you can build an army to fight along side you), but TaleWorlds Warband is a great game with some strategic elements (limited city building, train and upgrade troops, etc). You pause/play the overland map, so it still has that turnbased feel (more like Europa Universalis, only tactical)

I recommend Floris Mod Pack for the game.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,148140.0.html

I second Mount and Blade. It's pretty addictive and has one of the better melee combat systems you can find. Multiplayer is pretty fun too. Especially on the large 22nd Servers where you can easily be fighting with 60 players against another 60 players trying to take a castle.

I recommend the Blood and Steel mod though. Realistic? I can't say but arrow spam can rip lightly-armored troops to pieces. Heavily armored melee units can actually shred through anything not on horse or heavily armored. Muskets hit hard but are inaccurate. Etc.

Its a fun game. One I got a 106 hours logged.

Someone only two post above wrote that the OP asked for TBS games and we've ended now with Mount and Blade...:lol:

Hey, there's this game, sudoku, it's really cool. Not strictly a strategy game (though neither is TW) but I like it, so... you'll prolly like it, too.

Seriously, though, if we're just slinging sh.. I mean, random games at the wall and see what sticks, how about Fallout 1/2? It's not strictly turn-based, but you can pause it to get that TBS feel :D

How 'bout Dance Dance Revolution? Not "strictly" a strategy game... or turn based, for that matter, and you can't really pause it, and I don't really like it that much.... but lots of folks do, so, there!

Yes, it only works with HttT (heir to the throne) 4.0 patch. I've just got Divine Wind and i really liked it although there are some frustrating bugs like new alliance system. You can easily find yourself in a world war after declaring war on a small state. It calls its allies then these allies call their allies. It goes like a chain.

Oh the infamous bad boy system. It is one of the reasons I stopped playing EU3; that and the idiotic alliance system, I am Russia DoW on Tver who is allied to Aragon and some minor german states. Yet within 3 months I am at war with 20 nations despite the fact that my only earlier conquest was Ryazan - 30 years ago.

Rat

Oh the infamous bad boy system. It is one of the reasons I stopped playing EU3; that and the idiotic alliance system, I am Russia DoW on Tver who is allied to Aragon and some minor german states. Yet within 3 months I am at war with 20 nations despite the fact that my only earlier conquest was Ryazan - 30 years ago.

Rat

Why do you see problem with that?You must care when starting wars.Alliances make going to war against small states little harder and if you have big army and good relations they will not intervene.If you can make DoW on everybody without diplo hit it will be much easier game.Its the best diplo system in games that i played.

Rat

It's an historical game with a diplo designed for that, open up a history book and see.. On the other hand, if you don't like realistic and historical setting, EU is not your game...

In real history, treaties was (are) used mostly as an excuse for starting wars. But I doubt there were lot of people in Aragon even aware of the Rayazan existence that time...

In real history, treaties was (are) used mostly as an excuse for starting wars. But I doubt there were lot of people in Aragon even aware of the Rayazan existence that time...

The diplomatic papers of ancient Egypt or Rome could be enlighting on that, you don't even know how much relationships they have with so distant countries... And i think that in the modern age was more complex than in classic age....

It's an historical game with a diplo designed for that, open up a history book and see.. On the other hand, if you don't like realistic and historical setting, EU is not your game...

Your snobby childish ad hominem aside - I wasn't complaining about the alliance themselves but rather how geographically and politically nonsensical they were. Being at war with 20 nations on the fartherst fringes of the map for being at war with one small neibour who is not that much smaller than you seems silly. My examples are neither realistic or historical.

Rat

Exactly! Now is Sweden or Novgorod or even poland was the ally - all power to them.. But Aragon Klieves and Palatinate and I think Portugal (later) ??

Another issue was Badboy went down slowly - as in CiV this would usually result in huge wars (not just mine) as badboy just went up and up for everyone.

Rat

The Cascading Alliances in Divine Wind is apparently a bug that will be addressed soon.

Allies that are called into a war shouldn't be allowed to call in allies.

Anyway, the Casus Belli system is excellent and ensures that you must be very careful when you go to war and punishes warmongers.

I'm loving the new Divine Wind expansion. :)

It's quite strange, though: the OP very clearly stated that he/she is looking for a 4X TBS similar to Civilization. And yet, here we have all this huge number of people suggesting a tactical real time game. While I myself had some fun playing Rome:TW and EU:Rome (and Victoria I), neither of these belongs in this thread.

At least keep it TBS.

the entire series has a quite solid TBS campain game and you can always skip the battles if you wish
medieval TW2 is one of the best TBS on the market ... these games just also happen to have some RTS that is great fun

Top Bottom