Where is a free credit report

Just go to one of the three credit reporting agencies...they are obligated to provide you with a free credit report once a year. Transunion, Experian, and Equifax. Not sure of any "gov" website that does this....

Not credit score. Stupid as it may be, the credit reporting agencies don't have to tell you this. I'd advise you acquire your three reports and look them over for inaccuracies. If all is well, then you *hopefully* don't have anything to worry about. The problem emerges when you find things, like long lost credit cards, that have negative reporting.

You can always subscribe to a "free credit reporting agency" like Free Credit Report.com for around $7/month (gotta call to get that rate) and then check out your scores....then cancel the next month. Although I've heard the FCR.com numbers are inaccurate as THEY calculate your score independently as a best guess.

~Chris

I've also heard that requesting a credit report more than once a year will actually reduce your credit rating. Insane.

True indeed. Although these requests are "soft inquiries". A hard inquiry is a request from a underwriter, bank, or other institution.

There are actually ways to mitigate the effects of these inquiries, like applying for multiple loans at the same time. There is a whole industry out there catering to those who keep credit scores closer than anniversaries.

Reading this thread ... how is this NOT evil? Like, every single American is seemingly enslaved to an oligopoly of credit providers? A number that determines your credit score, but you cannot see it?

Who owns this number? Is it copyrighted? Are lenders coerced into giving out your information to generate this score?

This is almost worse than the fact that every single good at a store is marked up 2% with a 'VISA tax' that the merchant has to pay and cannot tell us about.

I've also heard that requesting a credit report more than once a year will actually reduce your credit rating. Insane.

It doesn't, however, you're only alloted one free report per credit bureau per year.

Just go to the transunion or equifax sites and fill out the applicable stuff if you want your credit report from them.

This is almost worse than the fact that every single good at a store is marked up 2% with a 'VISA tax' that the merchant has to pay and cannot tell us about.

Since the last set of credit card laws were passed in Canada, merchants now have the option of applying discounts or surcharges to any payment method as they see fit. (Was formerly disallowed by CC merchant agreements.)

annualcreditreport.com

I think that's the legit one.

Not much point in doing this, once you verify everything on the report is correct, knowing the number doesn't really make any difference.

Quite true, but it can be informative, as I believe many lenders will just look at the credit score, and often don't review the details of the report itself .

But if your report looks good, you can have pretty good confidence your score should be good.

Free Credit Report . Com
That's where I should've gone
Should've got my knowledge on

Seriously though, freecreditreport.com isn't actually free, it's a scam.

annualcreditreport.com

I think that's the legit one.

That's the one.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

No score, just history. Score is useful for, say, renting a new apartment or having an idea of what kind of loan you're likely to be able to get. Some landlords don't "get" the non-score credit history. But if you look over your history and there is nothing negative you know you'll have a good score.

In regards to El Mac's evil-ness comment; what I think is crazy is having no credit history, (for instance, a person who never uses a credit card, never took out a loan, etc.) also gives you a "bad" credit score. Understandable from the perspective of credit companies since to them no history is useless, but also a little absurd if you think that someone who has basically always paid for everything in full (or in other words, never purchased something they cannot afford) is essentially lumped into the same pile as people with poor records of repayment.

Top Bottom