WHFB Leader Traits

woodelf

Bard
Retired Moderator
Following in the footsteps of FfH I really believe that WHFB needs new traits to help define and diversify the leaders. I have no problem with keeping the Vanilla ones, but think we need plenty more. We can most likely steal plenty of ideas from FfH. ;)

Vanilla:

Organized
Aggressive
Spiritual
Philosophical
Creative
Expansive
Industrial (which I hate as is!)
Financial

Possible new traits:

Anything race related
Magical sphere related

I hope Kael doesn't mind, but here are the FfH traits, at least a while ago these were the ones:

+Aggressive

Free Combat 1 promotion for all Melee Units
½ cost Training Yard and Drydocks

+Agnostic

Can’t adopt State Religions
Cities resist religious spread
(Negative trait)

+Arcane

Arcane units earn XP faster.

+Barbarian

At peace with the barbarians
-10% research

+Creative

+2 Culture per turn per city
½ cost Obelisk and Theatre

+Defender

+15% Combat and +15% Withdrawal rate when the unit is in its own land.

+Expansive

+2 Health per city
No Upkeep on Health Care Civics
½ cost Granary and Harbor

+Financial

+1 commerce on spaces generating 2 or more commerce
½ cost Market and Moneychanger

Hidden

Lands are always covered by the fog of war to other civs.

+Industrious

+50% Wonder production
½ cost Forge

+Organized

-50% Civic upkeep cost
Can build the Command Post
½ cost Courthouse and Lighthouse

+Magic Resistant

All units gain the magic resistant promotion
Ring of Warding is twice as likely to desttory summoned attackers

+Philosophical

+50% Great People birth rate
No Upkeep on Education Civics
½ cost Elder Council and Library

+Raiders (Loki)

3 times as much gold from pillaging
+1 xp from each combat win
Archer, Melee, Mounted and Recon units start with the Commando promotion

+Scorched Earth (Loki)

Must Raze all Cities
(Negative trait)

+Spiritual

Free Mobility 1 promotion for all Disciple Units
½ cost Temples
No Anarchy

+Summoners

Summoned creatures last for 3 turns instead of 1.

Ploeperpengel said:
Could you clarify what the FFH traits do exactly? Very likly we include some.

Mostly I meant the Arcane, Summoner and the like traits. I thought there were racial traits, but maybe not. :confused:

I don't like traits, I just don't see how they are really good. A leader if he/she is good should be good at all aspects not at 2 or 3. If there was another way we could do traits I think it would be better

Civmansam said:
I don't like traits, I just don't see how they are really good. A leader if he/she is good should be good at all aspects not at 2 or 3. If there was another way we could do traits I think it would be better

This is where I was thinking of racial traits.

If someone is a Dwarf and gets a newly implemented Dwarven Trait then there would be additional bonuses. They are basically bonuses to me, not all encompassing traits. There is a +2 :health: trait so I think a leader should be able to give +:) as well. It's just an additional stat that XML wouldn't be able to add, I think.

edit - and this is why we have discussions. Lots of good come from them. ;)

Racial traits might be a good idea. I can't think of any difference refering to trait between the two f.i. orcs anyway. Let's put it like this.

suggestions:

magic traits we'll have to build our magic system first to decide

chaos-hidden, aggressive

Dwarfs-magicresistant(later; we'll have to convert that), industrious, organized

orcs-aggressive, -10% research, 3times gold from pillaging

woodelves-defender, hidden

Highelves-creative, philosophical

Nippon Agricultural

Chaos Spawn(special babarian- consisting of undead, Mutants and Demons) - scorched earth, aggressive

I´d like to have racial traits for Orcs, Gobbos, Dwarves and Bretonnia for example.

all Greenskinz gain the Goblin or Orcs promotion, allowing for the WAAAGH! to make their units better - but also animosity.

Dwarven units get magic resistance.

Bretonnians get this whole Knights Vow, Peasants Duty, Aura of the Lady thing.

And I´m sure we can find things like this for other races also.

So basically I am for traits that give certain promotions to the units (must not be all) of the Leaders.

I thought about it:

I'm not sure about that all bretonian for instance should get all of this on second thought. Ordinary peasants like Man-atarms shouldn't get this. Maybe we better define unipromotions by the units. This will be civspecific enough since all units will be unique after all.

Greenskins may sound alright but they'll have some Trolls in too who aren't affected by whaaagh. So promotions by traits better not!

Magicresistance for dwarfs as trait could be defined for other effects than unitpromotions like some buildings build faster to protect cities against magic i.e. Unitresistance should also specified by unit. (though we can think about if it comes out that dwarfs don't have any undwarven units in their design)

Ploeperpengel said:
I thought about it:

I'm not sure about that all bretonian for instance should get all of this on second thought. Ordinary peasants like Man-atarms shouldn't get this. Maybe we better define unipromotions by the units. This will be civspecific enough since all units will be unique after all.

Greenskins may sound alright but they'll have some Trolls in too who aren't affected by whaaagh. So promotions by traits better not!

Magicresistance for dwarfs as trait could be defined for other effects than unitpromotions like some buildings build faster to protect cities against magic i.e. Unitresistance should also specified by unit. (though we can think about if it comes out that dwarfs don't have any undwarven units in their design)

When I think about it a second time, I have to admit that you´re right but then we should get some other race specific traits, but not this whole magic thing IMO - I don´t think WH is that much about Magics to allow for magic-specific traits.

We'll see. But anyway magic trait(if we include some) will be after next release. We need to know exactly how magic will work first. Let's concentrate on nonmagic traits for now.

Ok I must be off.
till later(don't know yet if I can be available the weekend, but sunday evening, hopefully earlier)

How about leader traits associated with terrain.

Friend of the Woods
- +1 food from forests
- takes twice as long to chop
for wood elves

Mountaineer
- Mountans produce 3 hammers
- Mines produce +1 commerce
for dwarves

Sea faring
- +1 movement to all ships
- Free combat 1 promotion to all ships
for high elves

Prairy dog
- +10% defence on plains and grassland
- +10% when attacking to plains and grassland
for Brettonians

Definitely Lord Olleus, sounds good to me.

Slightly OT - are dwarves given the ability to traverse mountains (peaks)? If so the Dwarven Trait would allow that.

Seems like a good idea to me. Maybe create a new improvement called 'tunnel' which makes peaks crossable. And only dwarfs should be able to build this, or at least build it a lot faster.

Perhaps make the "Friend of the Woods" trait allow the building of a special "elven Cottage" the same as a normal cottage, except does not chop down forests. and prevent wood elves from chopping forests entirely.

Psychic_Llamas said:
Perhaps make the "Friend of the Woods" trait allow the building of a special "elven Cottage" the same as a normal cottage, except does not chop down forests. and prevent wood elves from chopping forests entirely.

That works in FfH. :)

I'd like to see Elves unable to chop at all, but that's just me.

Top Bottom