Which civ do you think is best for Tourism?

Athenaeum

Prince
...and why?

Being fairly new to the DLC, I've only given a couple of tries at tourism. From a superficial glance, Brazil seemed best to me, so I tried a couple of games with them. There was always one civ that was keeping me from being influential with everyone, and they were usually ahead scientifically and militarily (as I had been focusing less on both) so it was hard to take them down.

So any advice you guys could give me on Tourism would be greatly appreciated.

Another question I have is about the Petra. A lot of people have been talking about it on here as being OP, but it seems kind of pointless to me. Adding 1 food and 1 production to a desert tile, you still only have tiles with 1 food and 1 production. That's basically an unworked plains tile.

Now I can see the benefit in this if one was Morocco, and they built their special improvement all over desert hills and built the Petra. But besides those limited conditions, I don't see what's so awesome about the Petra.

Another question I have is about the Petra. A lot of people have been talking about it on here as being OP, but it seems kind of pointless to me. Adding 1 food and 1 production to a desert tile, you still only have tiles with 1 food and 1 production. That's basically an unworked plains tile.

You are not accounting for desert hills (especially the ones next to a river), which are the main beneficiaries of Petra (and one of the main reasons why it's so strong)... you don't need to be Morocco to take advantage of desert hills:

Unimproved, you are working a 3 production, 1 Food Tile. With a riverside hill-top farm, you are working a 3 Production, 3 Food tile after Civil Service.

If you have desert folklore, add 1 Faith to each and every Desert tile you are working (so the river-side hill-top farm will now be 3 Production/3 Food/1 Faith).

Any civ which is strong overall, may be strong in tourism. But France and Polynesia capitals on hotels the most if they somehow manage to be strong that late.

Civilizations that could make good tourism could be Brazil and France. Brazil has the carnival ua that makes its tourism 200% on civilizations that are in their golden ages. Brazil ua is tricky because you have to get tourism per turn up to allow the influence into other cultures. France has a city of light ua that causes it to double its tourism output. Theming bonus get doubled when using France so you could double your tpt thag other civilizations usually have. Other civilizations that could be good at tourism are India which gets +2 tourism per each castle. What's the +2 tourism per mughal fort? You get it right after you research flight. The mughal fort replaced the Indian castle.
Polynesia can also be a good tourist civilization because of its maui statues. Maui statues provide culture per turn in the beginning of plays but eventually as time passes, Maui statues can eventually provide tourism after the hotel and airport get built.

Reddishrecue, seriously.. That is not correct. You already wrote that in another thread. Brasils Tourism output is 200% during their own Golden Ages. It has absolutely nothing to do with the GA of someone else.

Athenaeum, try to research a bit about the Great Musicians bombs after you get Internet. If it's only one competitor, it should be easy to persuade them with some nice concerts.

In my oppinion, Carl has a good oberview of the basic principles: http://www.carlsguides.com/strategy/civilization5/culturalvictory.php. I really appreciated the site while moving up the difficulties because many guides here are based on Deity and that may be different than whatever difficulty you are on.

Reddishrecue, seriously.. That is not correct. You already wrote that in another thread. Brasils Tourism output is 200% during their own Golden Ages. It has absolutely nothing to do with the GA of someone else.

Athenaeum, try to research a bit about the Great Musicians bombs after you get Internet. If it's only one competitor, it should be easy to persuade them with some nice concerts.

In my oppinion, Carl has a good oberview of the basic principles: http://www.carlsguides.com/strategy/civilization5/culturalvictory.php. I really appreciated the site while moving up the difficulties because many guides here are based on Deity and that may be different than whatever difficulty you are on.

That's right, it is 200% towards other civilizations. Sorry if I missed that. When it says their golden ages it has nothingto do with other ccivilization's golden ages but only Brazil's which increases 200% during carnivals.

You are not accounting for desert hills (especially the ones next to a river), which are the main beneficiaries of Petra (and one of the main reasons why it's so strong)... you don't need to be Morocco to take advantage of desert hills:

Unimproved, you are working a 3 production, 1 Food Tile. With a riverside hill-top farm, you are working a 3 Production, 3 Food tile after Civil Service.

If you have desert folklore, add 1 Faith to each and every Desert tile you are working (so the river-side hill-top farm will now be 3 Production/3 Food/1 Faith).

That's just assuming that you have a bunch of desert hill tiles that are next to a river. What about just plain desert? That tile is still not very special, even when improved with the Petra.

AW ok. thanks for that. I already know about great musicians, if only I could produce them faster though. One time tourism bombs don't do too much when the AI's are getting far more culture per turn than your TPT.

Either way thanks for the advice, I'm going to screw around with it and see what I can come up with.

I'm currently playing as Ottomans and I have 720 tourism. Probably in 10 turns rest 2 civs gonna be in my influence and I'm gonna win CV. Actually, I wanted to go for SV. I'm in mid of the Information Era and my opponents just entered Atomic Era :/ You can imagine if my armies invade any civ :D

That's just assuming that you have a bunch of desert hill tiles that are next to a river. What about just plain desert? That tile is still not very special, even when improved with the Petra.

Plain desert is at least useful because it activates petra. If there wasn't at least a plain desert you wouldn'tbe able to build it in the first place.

Modifiers, modifiers, modifiers...place a spy as diplomat in their capital, give them few spare strategic resources for open borders, have a caravan running between your and their city...these all will increase your tourism toward them.

Correct, which is exactly why you don't want to build Petra in a city with a bunch of flat desert. Put it in a city with a number of oases and fresh water hills and it can get insane.

My CV are usually a byproduct of my DV.
Which I just did earlier today as Russia. I killed off the last person with a huge culture pool (Netherlands), and won by culture victory.
I think Marbozir called it genocide victory.

But if you want, I heard Byzantium with 3 faith buildings + Sacred Sites reformation belief might be a rather strong combo.

Got my first CV in BNW as Ottomans. I think all civs are good at CV if you choose right policies.

I'm going after a CV the hard way, with 46 cities (I am a real estate collector), I have finally outpaced the culture leader in Tpt, and about to DW Bozo to take his capital; which should guarantee my CV .

Playing as Australia (Menzies flavor), my latest test-drive mod, I'm liking this one a lot .

It is a rare and wonderful thing to have a 2nd continent all to myself, that nobody else can colonize !! Although having a fleet of 48 submarines may have something to do with that .

I vote Polynesia as they are probably the only civ that can achieve a CV without generating any art. Build your Moai's, beeline Refrigeration (hotels), Radio (airports), and Telecommunications (NVC) and sit back. You get an interesting dilemma with them: build your Moais' early for an early culture boost sacrificing good tiles or delay before Refrigeration.

Correct, which is exactly why you don't want to build Petra in a city with a bunch of flat desert. Put it in a city with a number of oases and fresh water hills and it can get insane.

THanks for this tip-off. I recently did an Emperor file with Morocco and just completely dominated that game. My capital was like 39 pop at the end, which was a good bit more than I almost ever have.

I built the Petra and the Kasbah thing on most of my desert tiles, although some farms were placed on freshwater desert hills.

But Petra does not add yield to flood plains (which by definition, are desert tiles next to rivers). So therefore those desert hills would still be 2 food 2 shield even after Petra, would they not?

Nope. Flood plains are specifically flat desert next to river. When tile next to river is desert hills, it gains Petra bonuses.

If you mouse hover the tiles, the tooltip tells you whether the tile is flood plains or not. As Sarin says, riverside hills are never flood plains. Also, flat desert tiles next to oases or lakes will not be flood plains.

Top Bottom