Which films have you seen lately? Vol. 21: Now in CinemaScope!

Another pointless sequel for a great 80s movie? :shake:
We've said that before about Terminator and Die Hard (re-)iterations.
tjs282 also said:
OTOH, if it stars Winona Ryder, Michael Keaton and Jenna Ortega, it might still be worth checking out...
We kinda said something of the sort as well.

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Three More.
Stunningly stylish, original, beautiful set design and an absolute masterclass in story telling. Ralph Fiennes is terrific. 9/10.

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Three More.
Stunningly stylish, original, beautiful set design and an absolute masterclass in story telling. Ralph Fiennes is terrific. 9/10.
Yep. They are excellent shorts and I think Sugar won an oscar. I read all these stories when I was young, over and over.

Gentlemen prefer Blondes, 1953. Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe get on a boat to France and get off married. Both ladies are va-va-voom. Hadn't seen either in a film, believe it or not.

Speaking of Mr Ripley... I thought the movie with Matt Damon and Jude Law was quite good.
I'd like to see the one starring John Malkovitch, but I can't find it anywhere.
Has anybody here seen it?
I have watched the first 10 minutes of the Malkovich one. Imo it was considerably worse than Damon's :)

Jesus Christ Superstar. It had its moments. Didn't care for the guy playing Jesus. He looked like he wanted to sell me weed at the beach.

Jesus Christ Superstar. It had its moments. Didn't care for the guy playing Jesus. He looked like he wanted to sell me weed at the beach.
Ted Neeley was Jesus. I saw him in a stage version of the show in DC, granted he was much much older but still in good shape. The guy playing Judas was awesome, and my favorite parts were the bits with the Jewish guys.

Ted Neeley was Jesus. I saw him in a stage version of the show in DC, granted he was much much older but still in good shape. The guy playing Judas was awesome, and my favorite parts were the bits with the Jewish guys.

Judas was definitely a strength. I thought the Roman soldiers' costumes were amusing -- the purple tank tops and camo. Guessing the purple was a reference to praetorian guards.

Leave the World Behind. Really well done. Best watch since Don't Look Up. End made me lol

Spoiler :
I realized pretty early on that it was going to be more of a social commentary movie than a disaster one but unlike so many others it pulled it off pretty well.

Leave the World Behind. Really well done. Best watch since Don't Look Up. End made me lol

Spoiler :
I realized pretty early on that it was going to be more of a social commentary movie than a disaster one but unlike so many others it pulled it off pretty well.
I liked it, too. Good performances, and I like Sam Esmail's style. I recommend the first season of Mr. Robot (2015), if you haven't seen that. Esmail and Roberts also worked together on Homecoming, although I haven't seen that one, but I think I heard him say on a podcast that the two of them are looking at doing more projects together, so I guess they've hit it off.

On Leave the World Behind:
Spoiler :
It looks like this could almost be an accidental prelude to Alex Garland's Civil War. I also recently watched Bushwick (2017), with Brittany Snow and Dave Bautista. It's just okay, I can't give it a strong recommendation, but the story in that movie could be taking place across the water when Amanda and Ruth are staring at New York at the end of Leave. Examples of a kind of 'concurrent evolution' that happens in Hollywood from time to time, where different projects separately develop similar ideas.

I liked it, too. Good performances, and I like Sam Esmail's style. I recommend the first season of Mr. Robot (2015), if you haven't seen that. Esmail and Roberts also worked together on Homecoming, although I haven't seen that one, but I think I heard him say on a podcast that the two of them are looking at doing more projects together, so I guess they've hit it off.

On Leave the World Behind:
Spoiler :
It looks like this could almost be an accidental prelude to Alex Garland's Civil War. I also recently watched Bushwick (2017), with Brittany Snow and Dave Bautista. It's just okay, I can't give it a strong recommendation, but the story in that movie could be taking place across the water when Amanda and Ruth are staring at New York at the end of Leave. Examples of a kind of 'concurrent evolution' that happens in Hollywood from time to time, where different projects separately develop similar ideas.
I started Mr Robot but kinda fell out of it halfway thru 1st season I think.

I ordered Leave the World from the local library, curious how the book compares, I'm in dire need of a good fiction book, been in a reading slump this year

I recently watched Glengarry Glen Ross. It's, uh, a striking film, to put it one way. Alec Baldwin's monologue has been remembered for good reason, but Al Pacino going off at the end was also very good.

In another way, it's serving well as a comparison of what not to do when managing an organisation for my management 100 class, and for other projects I'm doing.

The Sandlot, 1993. The best movie about baseball, boyhood, and summers. Period.

Watched Taxi Driver (1976) for the first time, being a fan of Scorsese, de Niro, and Jodie Foster. I knew Foster from Contact, so I was quickly squicked out by the fact that she's essentially a child prostitute in this movie. Despite her high billing she's a minor character, though. I doubt that the movie needs any comment from me. The cinemtography was beautiful, especially the night shots in the city where the neon is reflecting from water in the streets, and I saw one building that looks like it took inspiration from the Palace of the Doges in Venice -- its front, anyway. I noticed it largely because a hotel in my hometown, the Hotel Albert in Selma, was directly inspired by the Palace. An interesting movie, of course, disturbing but captivating. I only knew Cybil from her short-lived sitcom in the 1990s, so seeing her here was a treat.

Robert De Niro: You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?
Me: Wait, is he quoting that line, or is THIS the line?
Friend: (sigh) You're watching one of the most quoted scenes in movie history.

The Rundown (2003), starring Dwayne Johnson, with Christopher Walken as the Bond villain type character, who, like Walken's character in 1985's A View to a Kill, plans to use evil to get rich. Only this time, he plans to do so by running the "Helldorado" gold mine with slavery-level conditions for the workers.

But Johnson isn't there to stop Walken; he's there to bring a punk (Sean Scott) back to the United States. Said punk is a treasure hunter who adds both comedic effect in tandem with Johnson, and a bit of an Indiana Jones flair.

All in all, I'd say it's an average action film. You've got the comedy aspect (though Bad Boys for Life was considerably funnier), you've got the treasure hunt aspect, the action is heavy on the martial arts, a bit like a Jackie Chan film. The plot is okay, the pacing is okay, there are big falls and punches, it doesn't have too many explosions, but there's nothing to make it iconic. Which is probably why it wasn't a big commercial success - I wouldn't tell my friends not to watch it, but neither would I tell them they've got to go out and see this film.

Little Big League, 1994. A surprisingly realistic baseball movie given its premise of ownership of the Twins falling to a pre-teen who appoints himself the manager and displays his managerial potential to the baseball comish. Multiple stadiums are shown, there are some actual baseball people along the cast. Surprisingly good.

Chinatown, 1972. Jack Nicholson is a noir detective who is set up in a case that's involved in a lot of political back-room deals.

Top Bottom