• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Which films have you seen lately Vol.22 Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Yeah Skull Island was enjoyable. I also saw Godzilla vs Kong because it came out straight on HBO Max. It can only be described as "Big monkey punches big lizard. Stuff goes boom." which was about what I was expecting from it. Monarch did look a little interesting to me. Ok, Anna Sawai looked interesting :love: There's other stuff on Apple TV that looks alright too so I'll give it a watch at some point once.
Apple TV+ has a bunch of good stuff. You'll find some recommends over in the tv thread, if you're curious.

From the director of 'Jack' -

The City of New Rome must change, causing conflict between Cesar Catilina (Adam Driver), a genius artist who seeks to leap into a utopian, idealistic future, and his opposition, Mayor Franklyn Cicero (Giancarlo Esposito), who remains committed to a regressive status quo, perpetuating greed, special interests, and partisan warfare. Torn between them is socialite Julia Cicero (Nathalie Emmanuel), the mayor's daughter, whose love for Cesar has divided her loyalties, forcing her to discover what she truly believes humanity deserves."

Married to the Mob, 1988. My friend and I were watching this because we noticed that bad things happen to actors when we watch films with them in it. For instance, Steve Buschemi got punched right after we watched Trees Lounge. So, we dislike Alec Baldwin, and decided to watch this. He plays a mobster who dies fairly early and the rest of the movie is about AB's boss trying to seduce AB's widow. I fell asleep. We'll see if anything happens to AB. Love the late eighties hair and fashion.

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. I have a vague memory that I enjoyed the first movie, so I went into this sequel with the general expectation that I would be whelmed. I wasn't really. It was very... Ryan Reynolds. 4.5/10.

Life of Brian. I mentioned this one earlier, referencing movies that I'd seen so long ago that I might as well not have seen them at all. I decided to correct that. It holds up. 8/10.

movies that I'd seen so long ago that I might as well not have seen them at all.
As I browse through Letterboxd, I like to mark movies I've seen as I come across them. I don't go back and award those a retroactive 1-5 stars rating - I only do that for movies I see now - but I do like to use the "Like" button for things I at least remember enjoying. But there are still some few movies that I'm convinced I've seen, but I can't even remember whether I liked them or not. In that case, I don't even mark them as Watched.

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. I have a vague memory that I enjoyed the first movie, so I went into this sequel with the general expectation that I would be whelmed. I wasn't really. It was very... Ryan Reynolds. 4.5/10.

Life of Brian. I mentioned this one earlier, referencing movies that I'd seen so long ago that I might as well not have seen them at all. I decided to correct that. It holds up. 8/10.
Ryan Reynolds...
Ok, he is a fun guy (afaik). But he really drags almost everything he is in down (Deadpool not included, of course).

Ryan Reynolds...
Ok, he is a fun guy (afaik). But he really drags almost everything he is in down (Deadpool not included, of course).
Yeah, I don't think I've loved him in anything besides Deadpool either. (Not entirely true. He was one of the few good things about Blade: Trinity, which was a trainwreck. But he was basically workshopping his Deadpool in that movie. It's pretty much the same character.)

Furiosa trailer

Freaks: You're One of Us. 7ish/10? It's a German movie about ordinary people who get/have superpowers. The scale is a little off, which counts as a plot hole in my mind. It was an alright watch, though.

She's Out of My League. Easy 10/10. Hilarious comedy. I haven't laughed until I cried in a long, long time, and this movie managed to do it twice. Really great. I'm sure film buffs hate it, but they're allergic to joy anyway.

All about my Mother, Pablo Almodóvar. I've seen him before (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breaktown) and absolutely loved his use of color. That appears here again, though not as prominent. I was especially interested in this film because the main character is a transplant coordinator, and 2.5 years ago I was nearly killed by an autoimmune disorder that let to my being put on dialysis, and then having a kidney transplant after a few months on dialysis. In the film, a woman's son dies on his 18th birthday, and she -- distraught -- goes to find his father to tell him. I don't want to go into the plot too much, but his father is a transwoman, as we discover. Anyway, the main character's search for the father leads to her life intersecting with an an accomplished but aging actress and her junkie lover, as well as a young nun who works with the least of us and who is both pregnant and HIV-positive. Although there's a lot of tragedy in this story, it's beautiful in its way -- and not just for the visuals or Penelope Cruz! Considering how HUGE a role A Streetcar Named Desire played in this, I need to watch it soon-ish.

Abigail.

Not sure why Giancarlo Esposito had a rather very insubstantial cameo in this (and was of course prominently in the trailer).
The trailer had already given away the "twist", and this was riddled with basic tropes.

Rewatch of High Fidelity. Not seen it in a very long time, so it was a very entertaining watch. Really a classic in my book. If I recall this was Jack Black's breakout. He is exceptionally nutty here ha. It's a relationship/romance story but very much about music in general. Lotta music is played and band or musician names dropped. It seems at first that guys like Black and Cuzak are also subtlety ragging on a few bands too, but I think really the intent was to just call out some - at the time - lesser-known players like Belle & Sebastian. I'd forgotten much but still a bit confused at the end about the status of Cuzak and Laura's relationship though things seem good. The proposal appeared to be left ambiguous. The outtro with Stevie Wonders' I Believe is still as excellent as ever.

IMO HF is of its time but also timeless.

Rewatch of High Fidelity. Not seen it in a very long time, so it was a very entertaining watch. Really a classic in my book. If I recall this was Jack Black's breakout. He is exceptionally nutty here ha. It's a relationship/romance story but very much about music in general. Lotta music is played and band or musician names dropped. It seems at first that guys like Black and Cuzak are also subtlety ragging on a few bands too, but I think really the intent was to just call out some - at the time - lesser-known players like Belle & Sebastian. I'd forgotten much but still a bit confused at the end about the status of Cuzak and Laura's relationship though things seem good. The proposal appeared to be left ambiguous. The outtro with Stevie Wonders' I Believe is still as excellent as ever.

IMO HF is of its time but also timeless.
"Kathleen Turner Overdrive" made me feel seen. :lol:

Well, if you like jokes about Bachman Turner Overdrive, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Maria. 3/10. Filipino movie that tries to be John Wick. It does not rise to that standard in any way, and I'm not even that big of a fan of it. Truly amateur acting and choreography. One thing I did appreciate is that it didn't have Western sensibilities, so it had no issues shooting a child on screen. Not that that is something I specifically want to see, but, y'know. Media here tends to censor anything child related or awkwardly avoids it.

Top Bottom