Which map/settings are the most stable?

streetdog

Chieftain
Hello guys,
After a 2 years pause, I would like to ask which are the most stable map choice/settings with which I could play till the end?
I have never been able to finish c2c game due to CTDs ;(

My machine is powerful enough to handle anything, after all it's very old game...

You SHOULD be able to finish a game on a Duel map, I'd say.
Try the one with SPACE (and populate it with lots of AIs, I always go all the way up to 40 civs, lol), that way you can really experience the ENTIRE mod (on a small scale), more or less.
Though you probably will become the sole civ on the map by the first THIRD of the Tech Tree - unless you suck as a player, lol (but you'd see it much sooner, especially with Barbs ON).
Or if you don't WANT to capture the world, of course - you could go for vassalization instead of elimination (but if you grow VERY ahead of everyone, your culture could just "eat" the map).
Anyways, playing a Duel Space map is what you should try as the best option for experiencing the entire mod.

Are 40 civs stable? I remember it wasn't particularly stable before... As a matter of fact, I've never been able to finish c2c game and I was told it is due to too many civs

Are 40 civs stable? I remember it wasn't particularly stable before... As a matter of fact, I've never been able to finish c2c game and I was told it is due to too many civs
More like too many units and cities.
If you let even a few civs to grow to dozens of cities and hundreds of units (and they WILL build droves of useless dogs and the like) - then, yes, you WILL see tons of lag.
In fact, I'm getting MAFs on Pit's Earth map even with the one-city limit now working also for AI - and even then, I guess AI is still building way too many units, so it overcrowds the memory.
The only solution I see - don't drag out your game, be quick to takeover the entire map as fast as possible - then, hopefully, you can manage a full game.
Or maybe just play a game on an EMPTY map (Duel Space is the best for size and content) - no civs and no barbs, maybe then you should not get memory issues.
Heck, I think I'm gonna try this one myself now, lol.

You mean empty map as just with my civ without opponents?
Isn't there a way to put some sort of hard limit to AI how many units it can make? Just like national units?

You mean empty map as just with my civ without opponents?
Isn't there a way to put some sort of hard limit to AI how many units it can make? Just like national units?
Not that I know of any being accessible now.
And, yes, you can play against Barbs, or even "against animals", in C2C.
While it may sound "stupid" for a "full game" goal, it's actually a fun "game mode" of its own (and it's not exactly hard to "mod" the game to literally stay in Prehistory FOREVER, lol).
Point being that, while the FULL mod is super vast and cool - it's still hardly playable in practical terms due to avalanching turn lag and memory errors, rather sooner than later.
Which is really SAD for such a great mod.
Still, you COULD play something like a one-city game of survival against hordes of Barbarians and Neanderthals - with or without the "tricky" option of "emerging civs", lol.
This is why I so love this mod - it provides much more options game-wise than merely "more techs and more units (and a few concepts)" which it looks like at the surface, indeed.
You could just as well play something as un-Civ as "Pokemon: Catch em all", what with the huge variety of in-game animals, ya know.
Or turn it up a notch and make it "Civilization: Vassalize em all", though that is a bit "boring" for how base-Civ it is, mwahahaha!
The roster of your potential gameplay "goals" here is QUITE wide.

That is a real pity. I wanted to try modern age combat, starting from prehistoric age. That's why I wanted to finish a whole game :) I guess i could play without an enemy, or a single enemy, mb i could clean up regularly enemy units? Would it help?

"Modern age" is merely HALF-way up the Tech Tree, mwahahaha!!!
You can literally have Mecha battles (in space?) in C2C, for real.
That's what you get from "more is more", ya know.

Look, if you can grow fast enough (and be ruthless enough) to simply overwhelm the map in a very significant way ALL the time - you probably can "cut down" the AI well enough to avoid lag.
Maybe, not that I ever managed to wage THIS much constant war - I rather prefer to spread via culture and vassalization, not tedious city-scuttling.
But that's me - and I already said that Pit's Earth started MAFing even when I had eaten most of Old World, AND everyone was limited to one city per civ (which slows down unit production).
That's really a pity, yeah.

Hmm... I am going to try. I play civ games since literally civ1, my goal has always been to conquer the entire map (like you, i like pit's earth map). I just wanted to try the new features and technologies :D I will try with largest map and only 2 civs? no barbs? Maybe this will help to reach final stages of c2c and have some futuristic fun?
I want to try literally, from caveman to cosmos - that's why i wanted to turtle a bit... but i will try to find a way to limit AIs
:D

You probably should just try to play very aggressively, instead of passively-diplomatically.
I definitely prefer taking over the world via culture and politics, instead of dumb brute force - but large maps imply that you'd get too much lag and MAFs otherwise.
Again, a pity, because I rather enjoy passively encroaching over enemy cities and taking them with zero effort on my side, lol.
But, well, we have what we have.

Hello guys,
After a 2 years pause, I would like to ask which are the most stable map choice/settings with which I could play till the end?
I have never been able to finish c2c game due to CTDs ;(
I'm now testing a "weird" game mode: single civ, duel map, no barbarians, single city, revolutions (and some more options that are less relevant).
I also WB'ed [Montreal Biodome] and all [LC]'s for "full scale variety testing", but it's unnecessary for a decent test run whatsoever.
If you want to "get a feel of the game" without worrying about memory issues or slow turn times - you could try this test as well.
It won't give you the 100% full impression, but 95% is also fine, ya know.
You basically would see everything that ISN'T "war related", but that's already a huge ton of stuff to see anyways.
And it won't be SHORT even this way, because there's a LOT of stuff in the mod, lol!

I'm now testing a "weird" game mode: single civ, duel map, no barbarians, single city, revolutions (and some more options that are less relevant).
I also WB'ed [Montreal Biodome] and all [LC]'s for "full scale variety testing", but it's unnecessary for a decent test run whatsoever.
If you want to "get a feel of the game" without worrying about memory issues or slow turn times - you could try this test as well.
It won't give you the 100% full impression, but 95% is also fine, ya know.
You basically would see everything that ISN'T "war related", but that's already a huge ton of stuff to see anyways.
And it won't be SHORT even this way, because there's a LOT of stuff in the mod, lol!
Dual Space Maps have everything to offer, and do not MAF, unless you play for like 5 -10 hours hehe

Dual Space Maps have everything to offer, and do not MAF, unless you play for like 5 -10 hours hehe
MAFs are only one half of the full problem list to me. Long turn times now annoy me so badly that I just drop the game entirely whenever they grow to 10+ seconds. It's just subjective, lol.

I'm currently in cosmic era (one before last era in tech tree) on eternity speed, the larger size of snofru space map, and it works well with ~400 cities on map and 20 AIs (2nd most advanced empire after mine is renaissance), from my experience it's mostly stable nowadays, I don't remember initial number of AI but I think I did 10 with barbarian world and barbarian minor civs emerging over time

I'm currently in cosmic era (one before last era in tech tree) on eternity speed, the larger size of snofru space map, and it works well with ~400 cities on map and 20 AIs (2nd most advanced empire after mine is renaissance), from my experience it's mostly stable nowadays, I don't remember initial number of AI but I think I did 10 with barbarian world and barbarian minor civs emerging over time
...Or maybe I just switched to a much weaker PC and didn't realize it, huh. Damn.

I want my Desktop PC to be the Best Possible for the LARGEST MAPS in a SPACE MAP SCENARIO and AS MANY DIFFERENT EMPIRE THAT I CAN FIT ON A MAP!!!! PLEASE BUILD THE DREAM PC FOR C2C and RESPOND TO MY INTERROGATORY WHEN YOU HAVE TIME, PLEASE!!!

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/15/2024, 14:59:53
Machine name: DESKTOP-7O2SMFV
Machine Id: {EB65B4E9-7C67-46A6-A16D-AFC0B9151722}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z390 GAMING X
BIOS: F6 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16318MB RAM
Page File: 26402MB used, 7264MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.3636 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

Attachments

• OskMayDay August 2, AD-1789.CivBeyondSwordSave
    8.7 MB · Views: 5
I believe any PC less than, say, 10 years old will have no problem running this game on max. Increasing map/civ/unit sizes or amounts depends more on the modders optimizing the game than actual PC power.

Top Bottom