Which movies have you watched? xi --- straight to dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been long enough that I can't remember the details of the movie. I just remember it being trite and not very funny.

It is "absurdist comedy", which is a euphemism for "you must think it is funny, else you aren't hip". Ultimately, yes, i was being kind/reconciliatory in terming it in passing as 'funny' ^^

I mean... "nihilists"? :lol:

It's been long enough that I can't remember the details of the movie. I just remember it being trite and not very funny.
It is "absurdist comedy", which is a euphemism for "you must think it is funny, else you aren't hip". Ultimately, yes, i was being kind/reconciliatory in terming it in passing as 'funny' ^^

I mean... "nihilists"? :lol:
If you want a good Coen Brothers comedy, Burn After Reading.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_After_Reading

With a plot that explicitly doesn't make sense (as one character highlights in the authors' name) unless at least half the cast are complete imbeciles.

With a plot that explicitly doesn't make sense (as one character highlights in the authors' name) unless at least half the cast are complete imbeciles.
Actually they weren't quite as bright as your average imbecile. So calling them imbeciles would be an insult to the intelligence of imbeciles everywhere.:p

All Together Now is a documentary about the Cirque du Soleil show Love which is based on the Beatles and their music. Or at least, that's what it purports to be. What it turned out to be was a movie that suckled on the teat of the insanely rich people who put the show together and had basically nothing to do with the technical aspects of the show or its performers. Or at least that's all that was in it by the time we got bored and stopped watching.

Dunkirk is one of my favorite war movies ever. I love how it doesn't make the main actors out to be superheros who give long, righteous monologues. It's really incredible how impactful this movie is without lots of interpersonal drama, character development and emotional grandstanding. Also the format was amazing, I really enjoyed how he showed essentially three different stories on three different timescales and had them all come together at the end. He really wove them together seamlessly.

Dunkirk is one of my favorite war movies ever. I love how it doesn't make the main actors out to be superheros who give long, righteous monologues. It's really incredible how impactful this movie is without lots of interpersonal drama, character development and emotional grandstanding. Also the format was amazing, I really enjoyed how he showed essentially three different stories on three different timescales and had them all come together at the end. He really wove them together seamlessly.

I listened to this song from its soundtrack so much before its release.

I regret not having seen it in theatres.

What a coincidence. I also stopped watching WW after 1.5 hours.

What a freaking generic LCD snoozefest. The beyond-naive MC is irritating enough. Then they ignore all the cool potential concepts of introducing her to the modern world and jump straight into the frontline, where she is invincible and thus uninteresting. Plus I could already feel the stupid mandatory romantic subplot.

Instead of wasting another hour on that, I turned to Thor: Ragnarok and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Transformers: The Last Knight.

I mean, it's pretty obvious this series went off the rails two or three movies ago. That it took four writers to create an incoherent mess such as The Last Knight is a surprise.

Still, it's CGI robots doing CGI robot things. You don't watch this because you're looking for a good story. It's alright given what it's meant to be.

Two and a half hours is a bit too long for my tastes. I watched it in two chunks.

Transformers: The Last Knight.

I mean, it's pretty obvious this series went off the rails two or three movies ago. That it took four writers to create an incoherent mess such as The Last Knight is a surprise.

Still, it's CGI robots doing CGI robot things. You don't watch this because you're looking for a good story. It's alright given what it's meant to be.

Two and a half hours is a bit too long for my tastes. I watched it in two chunks.
Are you suggesting Transformers was ever coherent?

Are you suggesting Transformers was ever coherent?

The first two were coherent, sorta. Eh...

I just found out that there's a spinoff Transformers movie being released this December about Bumblebee. Its leads are John Cena and Hailee Steinfeld. Uhh...

I suppose coherent for a Michael Bay movie.....Then again, considering what it's based off of....

I am trying to watch Annihilation, but already 6 minutes in it consists of all-cliches.
It gets worse, I promise.

I also watched Black Panther in the cinema and... yeah, superhero movies ain't for me.
Although the Africa-inspired designs were interesting, so I don't exactly regret it.

I was wondering how you international folk were watching Annihilation on Netflix. Turns out they did an international Netflix release everywhere except America and Canada. We'll be getting it, eventually, some day, in the distant future. Very good sales tactic.

Bornhlmer Straße. Set during the night in which the Berlin Wall was inadvertently declared open by Gunther Schabowski. An interesting film.

I haven't seen any of the Transformers movies (just a few scenes, which looked ok visually, but still absurd, and the funny-ish moment: "I was expecting a giant car") ^^
:stupid: The few moments I have seen are enough for me to categorize them as idiotic. :thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom