While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with imperialism? :x

Nothing at all, but it would be an example of a time when white male monoculture was forced on others. Generally at the point of a gun.

Just a random Minecraft question:
I'm planning on building a sort of city that is watched over by a castle on a clifftop. Do you think this would be a decent site for the village?
Spoiler :

I'm terraforming the mountain behind the picture to eventually build a fortress.

Interesting statistics.

In 2012 there were 410 justifiable homicides by law enforcement officers reported to the FBI. Please note that this is not a comprehensive list because informing the FBI in the advent of a killing by law enforcement is not required.

In 2012 the total number of murders in Canada a country of 35 million was 543. Canada is not even that safe of a country having a murder rate per 100 000 of 1.6 which is higher than that of New Zealand, the United Kingdom and Australia.

In other words, the approximately 1.2 million United States law enforcement officers employed by all level of government reported to the FBI that they only killed somewhat more people than all 35 million relatively violent Canadians.

And Canada had approximately 1.56 murders per 100,000 thousand people, while the United States has a rate of about 4.7. So yeas, worse than the UK, some sources I've seen makes that about the same as Finland or France (the number seems to change every time I look at it for there), but compared to the US, well.

We also come out as roughly equel or less for sexual assaults for all of those countries. For example, a 2010 rate of rape at 1.7, while Sweden, 63.5; England/Wales and Australia 28; US 27.

So varies. But stay out of Manitoba, and keep an eye on your belongings; we ARE a den of thieves.

Also, a possibly incomplete list shows 3 police killing in Canada in 2012. Even if incomplete, this does give an idea about the (possibly) real amount.

Rape ratings can't really be compared without qualitative analysis of individual states' laws. Fx I'm not sure Swedes are more prone to rape than other nationalities (even if there's a Viking joke in there somewhere) I think it has more to do with Sweden's particularly sensitive relationship to gender politics. Many new Swedish policies and laws concern themselves heavily with gender and race. It is why they're both considered a progressive bastion and a '********' regime by different viewpoints. And sometimes their particular articulations of laws make it so that a comparatively large population segment are rapists that wouldn't be in other countries. I once looked over one of those international rape statistics and I'm not infering anything about the US here, but several developing nations have extremely good rape stats compared to the evil raping nation of Sweden; perhaps in those situations one might consider what constitutes rape in Sweden compared to say Egypt where marital rape isn't A Thing at all.

EDIT: Just wanted to put it out there. It's much easier to compare gun crime between states because then there's usually a shot wound or a dead person. Rape is a whole mishmash of statistical issues because consent is so damn hard to legally supervise.

maybe swedes are the only ones doing it right

Rape ratings can't really be compared without qualitative analysis of individual states' laws. Fx I'm not sure Swedes are more prone to rape than other nationalities (even if there's a Viking joke in there somewhere) I think it has more to do with Sweden's particularly sensitive relationship to gender politics. Many new Swedish policies and laws concern themselves heavily with gender and race. It is why they're both considered a progressive bastion and a '********' regime by different viewpoints. And sometimes their particular articulations of laws make it so that a comparatively large population segment are rapists that wouldn't be in other countries. I once looked over one of those international rape statistics and I'm not infering anything about the US here, but several developing nations have extremely good rape stats compared to the evil raping nation of Sweden; perhaps in those situations one might consider what constitutes rape in Sweden compared to say Egypt where marital rape isn't A Thing at all.

EDIT: Just wanted to put it out there. It's much easier to compare gun crime between states because then there's usually a shot wound or a dead person. Rape is a whole mishmash of statistical issues because consent is so damn hard to legally supervise.

Oh yes, Swedish laws are far more strict, I know. That's why when a topic like this comes up I don't make too big a deal of Swedish Rates and basically ignore most of places like the middle east, which have... different ideas on the topic than most western inspired nations.

I dislike comparing violent crime rates between smaller countries and larger ones, population wise, because the numbers don't equate. You need to consider a few things. America has 320 million people, ten times Canada, and a whole sweeping array of social and economic problems Canada does not have. All of this contributes to violence rates, primarily driven by easy access to guns and not so easy access to financial stability or medical care.

I think that people who cite disproportionate American violence rates usually do so to exactly underline the social problems underneath them. Ie they feel a need to make the political changes you infer.

EDIT also jesus christ i suck at english

I think that people who cite disproportionate American violence rates usually do so to exactly underline the social problems underneath them. Ie they feel a need to make the political changes you infer.

EDIT also jesus christ i suck at english

Well, the problems can't be compared to Canada, because we have 320 million people do be crazy with guns. The more people you have, the more insanity you have. Look at those wackjobs in China and India who routinely do terrible, brutal things. We just don't focus on those.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Does a larger population inherently mean disproportionately more violence? That is, if we're talking two data entries with the same population density, inequality, cultural diversity etc? Would a larger area with all those factors being the same experience disproportionate violence? Or is it more meaningful to compare to Canada taking those factors into account, and then to figure out how to be more like Canada (eg diminish the problems that come from inequality by making people more equal, etc etc etc)

I dislike comparing violent crime rates between smaller countries and larger ones, population wise, because the numbers don't equate. You need to consider a few things. America has 320 million people, ten times Canada, and a whole sweeping array of social and economic problems Canada does not have. All of this contributes to violence rates, primarily driven by easy access to guns and not so easy access to financial stability or medical care.

Internal population comparisons are arguably why we are so low; Manitoba, The Northwest Territories and Nunavut each have a murder rate of 4.10, 11.53 and 14.84, predominantly involving poor native people with poor access to financial stability and healthcare. where the US (generally) has Hispanics and Black people at the centre of crime, we have natives. Really not proud of THAT. Also the reason for those too territories having 1200+ rate of drug violations compared to the national average of 313.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Does a larger population inherently mean disproportionately more violence? That is, if we're talking two data entries with the same population density, inequality, cultural diversity etc? Would a larger area with all those factors being the same experience disproportionate violence? Or is it more meaningful to compare to Canada taking those factors into account, and then to figure out how to be more like Canada (eg diminish the problems that come from inequality by making people more equal, etc etc etc)

I would say using flat numbers like 1 million in Canada compared to 10 million in America would be pointless. Crime scales based on population and population density, especially in poverty stricken regions with large minorities such as the American South or major urban centers. There are huge differences in crime rates based on social and economic concerns, so saying a majority white and wealthy Canada is better off proves nothing and adds nothing to the conversation.

It isn't right to compare two inherently different societies on the same crime rate. You could compare regions of the US to Canada, sure, like Maine or Montana or Washington, but not the whole US as one. We have regions that are some of the poorest and most violent in the First World, and those heavily alter the stats.

darksaber1 said:
Internal population comparisons are arguably why we are so low; Manitoba, The Northwest Territories and Nunavut each have a murder rate of 4.10, 11.53 and 14.84, predominantly involving poor native people with poor access to financial stability and healthcare. where the US (generally) has Hispanics and Black people at the centre of crime, we have natives. Really not proud of THAT. Also the reason for those too territories having 1200+ rate of drug violations compared to the national average of 313.

This is a key factor. The American South, for example, is diverse as all get out, in some regions it is literally 1/3rd White, Hispanic, and Black with median income begin well below national average, not to mention healthcare and education rates being pathetic. You can't make sweeping generalizations about the USA without understanding just how varied the USA is, region by region.

Also, Europe can send a lot of their underclass to kill and/or die in the Middle East. Imagine if thousands of Americans were flying down to participate in the Mexican drug war.

I'm not even sure if this is sarcasm.

Mexican drugs wars keep american small arms mfg in the black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom