While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will mankind have any sort of decent existence without a government pointing guns at us!? It's just so impossibru! DO YOU WANT ME HEAD TO EXPLODE!?!?

They've never pointed guns at me? :confused:

I will answer all your questions with the following: If there is a demand for it, the market will provide for it. If our existing telecomms are really what is required to meet demand, it will be there. If it is in excess of demand, the market will adjust, if there is demand for more, the market will adjust. If there is an alternative that would be better, the market will adjust.

How do you protect the infrastructure? What incentive do they have to build lines to your community when all you have to offer is... what exactly? You don't provide electricity for them, or water, or oil. What purpose do they have when there is nothing for them to trade with you?

You are aware that the government paid hundreds of billions for telecomm companies to lay infrastructure, right? Or that without the government you wouldn't have roads and no one would regulate utilities? Do you think the people who own a coal fired power plant are just going to give you the same rates they do now? How about the price of coal? Assuming the coal workers could form their own personal groups and sell the coal at extreme rates, how would the powerplant afford the stuff they need? Are your selfies going up the chain from telecomm to power plant to coal miners? What is the exchange rate of a selfie to a boxcar of coal?

Take cars for instance, how fast would we have electic cars if governments weren't protecting the oil and current auto industry? Without a government passing legislation protecting antequated interests, we can have a truly innovative market place, where pretty much anything's possible and without the waste and violence you have with government.

Without the government subsidizing the auto industry and green tech, we wouldn't have electric cars at all. Innovation doesn't happen when the largest community group is your neighborhood. Speaking of which, who polices your neighborhood and protects it from other neighborhoods who want your selfies? Do you form your own local government with your own local police and regulation committees? Do you then realize you're too weak to survive alone, so you form a federation of communities? Do you then realize you need people who speak to and for all the communities to protect your interests against similar rival communities? Oh, wait. You're just a country then. My bad.

You assume a lot in that response, Luckymoose. I can say there are obvious solutions to many of your problems with a society that has no government, but I will not write a book for you here. Look up "An agorist primer" there's a pdf you can find easily on the net without paying, it's not perfect but it's a start. Look up videos by Stefan Molyneux on free society. Maybe read "Freedom!" by Adam Kokesh, that's also free in pdf form.

But by existing, government points guns at all the people within it's borders. If you do not pay your taxes, you will find that out soon enough.

You assume a lot in that response, Luckymoose. I can say there are obvious solutions to many of your problems with a society that has no government, but I will not write a book for you here. Look up "An agorist primer" there's a pdf you can find easily on the net without paying, it's not perfect but it's a start. Look up videos by Stefan Molyneux on free society. Maybe read "Freedom!" by Adam Kokesh, that's also free in pdf form.

But by existing, government points guns at all the people within it's borders. If you do not pay your taxes, you will find that out soon enough.

I want to pay more taxes for more services. Why would I not pay? I use roads, schools, the police, the law, regulated utilities, subsidized agriculture, etc. You can go starve in your libertarian cave society if you want.

That's FANTASTIC! I respect your oppinion that the government is the best solution to all those services you have just mentioned and I would never point a gun to your head and tell you to do otherwise.

I however, believe that there are alternative ways to provide these same services that can be done in a more moral and efficient way. Can I ask you to offer me the same courtesy I would give to you, in not threatening violence on me for exploring alternative routes for providing those services?

That's FANTASTIC! I respect your oppinion that the government is the best solution to all those services you have just mentioned and I would never point a gun to your head and tell you to do otherwise.

I however, believe that there are alternative ways to provide these same services that can be done in a more moral and efficient way. Can I ask you to offer me the same courtesy I would give to you, in not threatening violence on me for exploring alternative routes for providing those services?

I would say no, because this ignorance is why America is a screwed as it is now. We don't need libertarians rambling about trying to upset civilization.

I would say no, because this ignorance is why America is a screwed as it is now. We don't need libertarians rambling about trying to upset civilization.

What a ridiculous stance. You believe you are entitled to your opinion and that people should respect that, but you're not willing to afford others this same courtesy. I will cease to communicate with you, now. This sort of "ignorance" is what's actually called being "civil". Your mentality is that of a thug, and I am not wasting my time on thugs.

What a ridiculous stance. You believe you are entitled to your opinion and that people should respect that, but you're not willing to afford others this same courtesy. I will cease to communicate with you, now. This sort of "ignorance" is what's actually called being "civil". Your mentality is that of a thug, and I am not wasting my time on thugs.

I never said I wasn't a thug. I just don't believe you know much about how the world works and your views are expressed in dreamlike passing based on no hard evidence and excluding the reality you now live in.

It's hard to imagine a society without government because of the tendencies of humans to naturally form societies ad hoc.

A family is a form of government, and it is a dictatorship at that. The enforcement of familial rules isn't necessarily done by active violence, but it is done through the fact that the parents are stronger, wealthier, and infinitely wiser than the child. Enforcement of parental rules on children is largely done by force, or at least with force as a last resort. This coercive power, even with benevolent intentions at heart, is the fundamental analogue for the way a government treats its citizens.

Do you believe that children should have the inherent right to be 'free' of all parental rules and restrictions, Amon? If the answer is no, you've already compromised pure libertarianism. Humans have rules, societies, and order. Rules, societies, and order are unequivocally beneficial to ALL of us. They can, and often are, twisted to be harmful, but the ideal of good laws and a good society should still be something to work towards.

In the end, all human governments and societies are outgrowths of the family grouping, which first manifested itself in tribes or clans. As such, government (in the form of leadership, and leaders who make rules) is intrinsic to the human experience, and I say this as a conservative who dislikes an all-encompassing government providing excessive or unnecessary services or infringing on the rights of private citizenry.

I am sympathetic to many libertarian goals, but taking them as far as you do, Amon, is inherently naive and impractical.

And furthermore, your manifesto is hostile to the ideals of that great nation which bore you, a nation which offers us untold rights and freedoms but requests a basic level of civic participation in return. The greatness of American freedom is found in our ability to freely associate into communities of our choosing with minimal interference from the federal government, but that requires those citizens to be willing and able to defend those freedoms in times of crisis.

With that said, if you choose to lead a subsistence lifestyle in Alaska or the Mountain West and do not wish to participate in the economy which you see as corrupted, the American government is largely content to let you abide in peace. That option is fully open to you. But you are making a poor, selfish, and childish choice. The lesson of history is that Liberty and Equality, such as they stand, can only be preserved by force of arms.

I understand your resentment of the coercive tax power of the federal government, and I do agree that when our nation was originally founded, the idea of levying an income tax on all citizenry was seen as wrong. I hope our nation is able to move beyond a rigid and oppressive tax structure in the future. But dissolving or ignoring our government and refusing to acknowledge the good that it does is simple ignorance.

Lord Iggy, I made the mistake of reading facebook and I saw someone post this:

[SNIP]

What do you think is a proper reply to this gentleman? I ask you because 1. you have the most expertise 2. you're the most polite

I don't want the guy to think he's actually smart, but I don't want to be snarky either. But I'm not intelligent enough on this issue to be thorough :(
I can write a reply for you to forward to him. :)

Climate Change Questioning Fellow said:
"Politics aside, the reality is that we don't understand our climate at a microscopic level.
We understand our climate fairly relatively well, what is much harder to predict is the weather. This is true in the same sense that it is difficult to predict what you will roll the next time you toss a die, but it is possible to predict that if you throw the die several times, your average value will tend towards 3.5. Weather is what happens on a given day, while climate is the average weather over a long period of time.

I'm assuming human activity, including fossil fuels, has an effect but we just plain don't know how negatively feed-backed our biosphere is.
Our planet and its atmosphere, biosphere, geosphere and other various spheres are governed by various different feedback systems. The famous example of the lynx and the hare is an example of negative feedback. When lynx populations are high, many hares are eaten, leading to low hare populations, which leads to lynx starvation, which leads to reduced predation, which leads to increased hare populations, which leads to increased prey availability, which leads back to high lynx populations. This is a self-regulating negative feedback system.

In our current context, however, climate change is a positive feedback system. As the world warms up, we will progressively lose our ice cover, as ice sheets are replaced by blue water and brown/green land. Ice has high albedo, so it reflects lots of incoming sunlight. However, water and land have low albedo, so they will absorb lots of incoming sunlight. Picture a dark shirt and a white shirt on a sunny day, to experience the albedo effect firsthand!

Thus, when things get hotter, the world's surface gets darker, leading to more absorbed sunlight, leading to even more warming. Making things worse, it's likely that, when methane clathrate ices begin to melt with these changing conditions, they will release even more greenhouse gases (in the form of methane, which is a stronger greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide), which contributes further to the whole positive feedback cycle.

We live right now in the quaternary glaciation and we are currently in the middle of a minor interglacial and we've been warming for 20,000 years.
This is correct. The main issue is that the annual rate of warming has been relatively small over much of this period, but over roughly the last 200 years, the rate of warming has gotten massively higher, and it doesn't match up with non-human explanations (such as changes in orbital eccentricity, the amount of light produced by the sun, and the like).

We could slip into a deep glaciation in 10,000 to 50,000 years....
With human impacts disregarded, that's roughly what we'd expect from the cycle of glacial and interglacial periods and orbital forcing. Milankovitch cycles do a pretty good job at predicting how much solar energy is going to hit the earth. However, our current climate change issues exist in the next few decades and centuries. We're not in imminent threat of a new ice age, our problems are much more immediate.

and so long as we have big land masses at to near the poles like Antarctica and Greenland the world will remain glaciated.
Unfortunately, nothing is forcing our large polar landmasses to stay frozen. Yes, glaciers can refrigerate themselves, but once they begin to degrade they will likely continue to degrade, for the reasons of albedo I mentioned earlier.

We need to set politics aside on this matter and truly let science work.
Damn straight! :D The intersection of science and politics is pretty messy, because politics is about popular approval, while science is based off of repeatable investigation. Scientific results can't change themselves because they're unpopular.

Geology does not work on 10 year scales and an increase of co2 from 0.032% to 0.037% is likely meaningful but not catastrophic.....
Geology and climatology are roughly connected, but this comparison is not meaningful. It's like saying that flies last less long than houses. Climate changes far faster than the earth's geology does. Also, the numbers you provided in your examples aren't quite right. Before humans, carbon dioxide levels varied over periods of glaciation, falling down to 180 parts per million during deep freezes, and rising up to 280 in the peaks of the interglacials. We were around 280 at the dawn of the industrial revolution, but we've pushed it up to 400 parts per million since then, and we could conceivably get quite a bit higher. This is a huge, and unprecedented change in a relatively brief time period, so it could very well be the trigger for changes that could be described as 'catastrophic'.

and yes I get the whole club of Rome Kissinger finding a new common enemy thing....but the reality is that there are plenty of real monsters in the world to deal with....without manufacturing make believe hypnotic ones.
Um... I don't give much credence to the Club of Rome hypothesis, but I guess that's a side point. There are indeed many problems the world has to deal with, but climate change is a major and imminent one. It hasn't been manufactured to scare people, even though it can be a scary thing. It's a major problem that we can see coming, and we have a chance to mitigate it if we take action sooner rather than later.

No that doesn't align with political correctness but by gosh...CONVINCE ME WITH SCIENCE NOT RHETORIC!
I don't think political correctness has anything to do with this. Science isn't about political correctness, or popularity. I do want to try to convince you with science, and I hope I'm doing a bit of that with this response.

I'm not stupid so please stop assuming I am (not to the poster nor the article but to the worlds scientists).
I won't and don't assume stupidity, but I can't assume expertise in a specific field and a knowledge of climate jargon. However, I can explain it in lay terms and help you to make sense of things.

Climate Change Explained:

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. It absorbs infrared radiation (which is one of the ways that the earth can radiate heat into space), then releases it as thermal energy, trapping it in our atmosphere. This video gives a great explanation of this effect.

Humans have burned fossil fuels (one of the planet's stores of carbon) for the last few centuries, which has created a large amount of carbon dioxide. This has added a huge amount of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which accelerates the greenhouse effect, warming the earth.

As the earth gets warmer, ice melts, releasing water (which raises sea levels) and decreasing the earth's albedo (which brings on further warming). Also, increased carbon dioxide concentrations acidify the oceans as they form carbonic acid in water, this is a side-effect of global warming.

Changing climate will affect the world's rainfall and temperature patterns, which will cause massive changes in agriculture and food production, trigger large-scale human movement, and likely destabilize many of the institutions of our civilization, leading to wars and other resource crises. Ocean acidification could massively upset the ecosystems of the world's oceans, which could compound our problems. Climate change can potentially lead to some pretty humongous harm to humanity. It almost certainly won't wipe us out, but it will hurt a lot, and the longer it takes us to take action, the worse the squeeze will get.

I'm literate, convince me....I'll listen and read and understand but understand that I'm scientifically literate and so are the majority of petroleum engineers.
I'll be happy to talk to you and answer more questions, and address your doubts about climate change.

It's basic science."
And science is all about discussion, experimentation, and the development of the best explanations we can find to the phenomena that we observe! :D

/End Response.

You could also add the quote from Upton Sinclair, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!", given that he's a petroleum engineer whose industry could potentially be harmed by some of the actions taken to combat climate change, but that might not be the smartest decision when trying to convince someone of something new.

Pretty sure he'd get fired if he mentioned climate change under Harperstan.
Harper can muzzle all of the government-funded scientists talking about climate and ecology, but he can't silence me because I'm currently not employed in my field of study.

I did this with predictably loltastic results. First he compared the IPCC to the Vatican, then he got insulted that I would insinuate he hasn't read the reports and informed me he HAD read them in-depth. So either he's too stupid to get even a basic understanding of ice (as NK points out) or he's lying because I'm skoolin him in the skoolyard.
Well, you can explain the nature of the IPCC: it was created to be deliberately overcautious and lightfooted.

Spencer Weart said:
The Reagan administration wanted to forestall pronouncements by self-appointed committees of scientists, fearing they would be 'alarmist.' Conservatives promoted the IPCC's clumsy structure, which consisted of representatives appointed by every government in the world and required to consult all the thousands of experts in repeated rounds of report-drafting in order to reach a consensus. Despite these impediments the IPCC has issued unequivocal statements on the urgent need to act.

If you're going to trust anyone about the climate, you should trust the IPCC.

....Without the government subsidizing the auto industry and green tech, we wouldn't have electric cars at all. Innovation doesn't happen when the largest community group is your neighborhood....

Well, we did have electric cars before the formal investment of government funds into them... and then they promptly went out of use because gasoline was so much more efficient and cheaper than 1910s electrics. While places like the US did implement anti-electric car laws, these (almost?) all implemented a decade or more AFTER the end of the Golden Age of Electric cars. In other words, the free market decided that they didn't like them, and switched. Latter, governments started to help fund to bring them back.

And I have to agree. No agent of the Canadian Government has ever pointed a gun at me. Harper may be a douche, but I have yet to meet any of the claimed Harper Happiness and Obedience Enforcement Squads (HHOES).

It's hard to imagine a society without government because of the tendencies of humans to naturally form societies ad hoc.

A family is a form of government, and it is a dictatorship at that. The enforcement of familial rules isn't necessarily done by active violence, but it is done through the fact that the parents are stronger, wealthier, and infinitely wiser than the child. Enforcement of parental rules on children is largely done by force, or at least with force as a last resort. This coercive power, even with benevolent intentions at heart, is the fundamental analogue for the way a government treats its citizens.

Do you believe that children should have the inherent right to be 'free' of all parental rules and restrictions, Amon? If the answer is no, you've already compromised pure libertarianism. Humans have rules, societies, and order. Rules, societies, and order are unequivocally beneficial to ALL of us. They can, and often are, twisted to be harmful, but the ideal of good laws and a good society should still be something to work towards.

In the end, all human governments and societies are outgrowths of the family grouping, which first manifested itself in tribes or clans. As such, government (in the form of leadership, and leaders who make rules) is intrinsic to the human experience, and I say this as a conservative who dislikes an all-encompassing government providing excessive or unnecessary services or infringing on the rights of private citizenry.

I am sympathetic to many libertarian goals, but taking them as far as you do, Amon, is inherently naive and impractical.

And furthermore, your manifesto is hostile to the ideals of that great nation which bore you, a nation which offers us untold rights and freedoms but requests a basic level of civic participation in return. The greatness of American freedom is found in our ability to freely associate into communities of our choosing with minimal interference from the federal government, but that requires those citizens to be willing and able to defend those freedoms in times of crisis.

With that said, if you choose to lead a subsistence lifestyle in Alaska or the Mountain West and do not wish to participate in the economy which you see as corrupted, the American government is largely content to let you abide in peace. That option is fully open to you. But you are making a poor, selfish, and childish choice. The lesson of history is that Liberty and Equality, such as they stand, can only be preserved by force of arms.

I understand your resentment of the coercive tax power of the federal government, and I do agree that when our nation was originally founded, the idea of levying an income tax on all citizenry was seen as wrong. I hope our nation is able to move beyond a rigid and oppressive tax structure in the future. But dissolving or ignoring our government and refusing to acknowledge the good that it does is simple ignorance.

You assume my stance on a few things here, but that's no problem. I disagree with you that my stance is naive and impractical. I bring things to their logical conclusion, and believe things like civic duty and patriotism and nonsense like that only pit humans against humans, and reject whole heartedly the notion that a nation grants rights. We have rights, governments may or may not recognize those rights, but a government always infringes on your self ownership in order to exist and unless you actually give verbal or written consent, it's immoral for it to do so.

On a lighter subject, one of my first ever well written stories. I had just gotten my ass kicked by France as Pacifica (Empire based off Korea that encompassed many islands and alaska and south american colonies) and I wrote a masterpiece that should stand through the ages.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=1116903&postcount=1442

Hysterical in what way?

The idea that any cultural exchange is completely ungrounded ethically. According to her, learning foreign languages, linguistic drift, loan words, are all morally wrong.

Assuming that one defines technology as cultural, her background would inform that she *should* be unable to write the article, as she is Nigerian and the internet, computers, etc. were all originally western.

That's the sense I got of it, at least.

The idea that any cultural exchange is completely ungrounded ethically. According to her, learning foreign languages, linguistic drift, loan words, are all morally wrong.

Assuming that one defines technology as cultural, her background would inform that she *should* be unable to write the article, as she is Nigerian and the internet, computers, etc. were all originally western.

It's not morally wrong... as long as you limit it to what you are specifically invited to learn by a representative portion of the originating people. So, basically just what you said with some weasel-room.

I think this is a really serious misreading of the article.

You assume my stance on a few things here, but that's no problem. I disagree with you that my stance is naive and impractical. I bring things to their logical conclusion, and believe things like civic duty and patriotism and nonsense like that only pit humans against humans, and reject whole heartedly the notion that a nation grants rights. We have rights, governments may or may not recognize those rights, but a government always infringes on your self ownership in order to exist and unless you actually give verbal or written consent, it's immoral for it to do so.

I think your approach to the idea of rights is the source of your disagreement with some others. I believe your assertion that you or I have rights regardless of their recognition is, for practical purposes, wrong.

When I was in high school, a classmate of mine wrote this for a philosophy class. It says, essentially, that rights do not exist unless we believe they do. My right to life only exists in practice for as long as everyone around me believes that my unnatural or otherwise premature death is impermissible. My right to free speech exists in practice for as long as everyone believes that coercing me to take or not to take such and such an action is impermissible. My right to self-ownership exists in practice only as long as those with the power to compel me otherwise choose not to do so.

Not everyone agrees on those rights of mine. Therefore, to maintain a reasonable facsimile, an organization exists ostensibly to compel others to act as though they agreed, precisely because they would not leave my rights unmolested if left perfectly free. Adherence to certain codes of behaviour in exchange, including but not limited to taxpaying, is a price I readily pay for such protection.

But you can see where I'm going with that.

It certainly makes me yearn for a time when white male monoculture was automatically pressed on people of other races and genders.

So are you completely unfamiliar with imperialism, or...?

So are you completely unfamiliar with imperialism, or...?

What's wrong with imperialism? :x

Our economy would collapse without buying tons of mostly unnecessary tools of death, all of it necessary to enforce imperialistic goals, and you'd be out of a job, too.

The real problem is we have so much nagging self-doubt about it now. Abolish the paradigm or embrace it, stop waffling around the margins. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom