Why am I always Dan Quayle?

this last one doesn't make sense. surely the first five categories in your list are relative to the difficulty level you are currently playing, which is why its possible to achieve a ranking of 1st whether you play Chieftain or Deity...

Necro or not, what I said in 2006 is still valid and level does matter since there's an overall multiplier for difficulty (0.5 at Settler up to 2.0 at Deity). But I think that the numbers in post #11 are for Epic speed: to get Augustus at Normal speed needs 10,000 not 15,000. This doesn't alter the sad fact that the ratings are set much too low and too close together, he said from his lofty attitude of regularly getting over 400,000 at Emperor.

Rank Leader Score
1 Augustus Caesar > 15,000
2 Hammurabi 14,000 - 14,999
3 Abraham Lincoln 13,000 - 13,999
4 Charlemagne 12,000 - 12,999
5 Winston Churchill 11,000 - 11,999
6 Nelson Mandela 10,500 - 10,999
7 Emperor Constantine 10,000 - 10,499
8 Shaka Zulu 9,500 - 9,999
9 Charles de Gaulle 9,000 - 9,499
10 Simón Bolívar 8,500 - 8,999
11 Lech Wałęsa 8,000 - 8,499
12 Ivan the Terrible 7,500 - 7,999
13 Henry VIII 7,000 - 7,499
14 Herbert Hoover 6,500 - 6,999
15 Louis XVI 6,000 - 6,499
16 Neville Chamberlain 5,500 - 5,999
17 Nero 5,000 - 5,499
18 Warren G. Harding 4,000 - 4,999
19 Ethelred the Unready 3,000 - 3,999
20 Dan Quayle < 3,000

How do you change these names to ones of your own?

Maybe I would like to change Quayle to Bush.

I've always wondered what Dan Quayle did so bad that he deserves to be ranked even more inept than Nero and Louis XVI.

In the Oxford English Dictionary (British spelling), potatoe is correct. The problem was that he was in America, where we use Webster's dictionary. OED spelling is common in colloquial scenarios (colour, armour, harbour etc) but if you are in a spelling bee it pays to check what country you are in. It was an epic fail no doubt, but it wasn't as dumb as it looks at first glance.

Um, over here it's potato too. Adding an '-e' is the sort of mistake a British schoolkid would make as well.

But not being able to spell and even dodging the draft is hardly in the same league as vassaling to the Vikings (Ethelred), appointing corrupt cronies (Harding), persecuting Christians (Nero) or appeasing Hitler (Chamberlain). Just a soft target, I guess.

Warren G. Harding is also a really weird name to have on the list at all... same with Mandela.

How do you change these names to ones of your own?

Maybe I would like to change Quayle to Bush.

For doing so, it's an easy XML change take no modding skill.
Look for your Vanilla civ4 folder (which happens to be a parent folder of the most used BTS folder). In there, you have an Assets/XML/Text/CIV4GameText_Misc1.xml

Then search for the exact keyword hereunder:

Code:
TXT_KEY_DQ_LEADER_NAME

There 20 of these.
The 20th is Dan Quayle and you just change the text.

The excerpt:

Code:
<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_DQ_LEADER_NAME_20</Tag>
		<English>Dan Quayle</English>
		<French>
			<Text>Dan Quayle</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</French>
		<German>
			<Text>Dan Quayle</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</German>
		<Italian>
			<Text>Dan Quayle</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Italian>
		<Spanish>
			<Text>Dan Quayle</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Spanish>
	</TEXT>

===================

BTW, you're an evil necrophiliac person!

Really? I could've sworn potatoe was correct in Britain. Sorry for that then. Guess I get a Quayle rank. Seriously though, how is Quayle worse than some of these.

I rarely get a good ranking whenever I don't win by domination or conquest. Since the other victories cannot be accomplished as quickly, domination and conquest seem to give the highest scores (at least this has been my experience). Really though, it doesn't matter - a win is a win.

This is actually quite logical, as score comes mainly from population. Domination and conguest victories mean bigger population by default. They also can be achieved faster than space race. Try focus on population even more than on timeline (finishing reasonably early is necessary tho) if You are after the score. I have won game, I think it was about 1910 AD on emperor, scoring near 200 000 points while finishing immortal just like 20 years later and scoring roughly 100 000 points.

For doing so, it's an easy XML change take no modding skill.
Look for your Vanilla civ4 folder (which happens to be a parent folder of the most used BTS folder). In there, you have an Assets/XML/Text/CIV4GameText_Misc1.xml

Then search for the exact keyword hereunder:

Code:
TXT_KEY_DQ_LEADER_NAME

There 20 of these.
The 20th is Dan Quayle and you just change the text.

The excerpt:

Code:
<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_DQ_LEADER_NAME_20</Tag>
		<English>Dan Quayle</English>
		<French>
			<Text>Dan Quayle</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</French>
		<German>
			<Text>Dan Quayle</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</German>
		<Italian>
			<Text>Dan Quayle</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Italian>
		<Spanish>
			<Text>Dan Quayle</Text>
			<Gender>Male</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Spanish>
	</TEXT>

===================

BTW, you're an evil necrophiliac person!

Thank You. :thumbsup:

Warren G. Harding is also a really weird name to have on the list at all... same with Mandela.
I disagree. Warren G. Harding was one of the worst US Presidents; he was president at the start of the Great Depression and basically didn't do anything.

Nelson Mandela was an excellent leader who brought South Africa out of apartheid into a more equitable system while minimizing rancor associated with the change.

Really? I could've sworn potatoe was correct in Britain. Sorry for that then. Guess I get a Quayle rank. Seriously though, how is Quayle worse than some of these.
A bad joke that doesn't get better with age. Dan Quayle was noted for his lack of intellect before the potato/potatoe incident. Another politician might have been able to laugh off the mistake, but it sealed Quayle's reputation as a joke. However, I think we can find a more deserving person to be "worst leader" on the scoreboard.

Isn't that Herbert Hoover?
:hammer2: Yes, that was Herbert Hoover, another really bad president. Harding had the Teapot Dome scandal, then died in office halfway through his first term and was succeeded by Calvin Coolidge, another bad president.

I don't know why they didn't put William Henry Harrison in his place instead.

I've always wondered what Dan Quayle did so bad that he deserves to be ranked even more inept than Nero and Louis XVI.

Likewise, was Augustus Caesar really all that?
Yup, I've been thinking those questions many times. Who is Dan Quale? Why is he so bad? Some people thinks that he is Don Quijote (<- hmm.. how to write that..). I guess that its not same. And since what Augustus has been more successful than his father? They chose him to be the Roman leader in V too..

During Augustus' rule Rome experienced the first major military failure - in the battle of Teutoburg Forest, 9 AD. But for example Charlemagne who's ranked below Augustus Caesar, is said to never have lost a military campaign.

The only time I ever got a high score (Caesar rating) was on a tiny duel map with one opponent who I conquered fairly early. Normalized score put it at like 27,000 or something.

Otherwise, all my games usually go into the 1900s or later, and by then it's not possible to get a score higher than 5000 or so, which means I almost always get Quayle. Lame.

Really? I could've sworn potatoe was correct in Britain. Sorry for that then. Guess I get a Quayle rank.

Not necessarily. From the Oxford Dictionaries site:

The spelling of potatoe, while not terribly common, existed for almost the entire 20th century. For example, the New York Times was still occasionally spelling potato with an –e in 1988. In fact, one can easily find spellings of potatoe all the way up to 15 June of 1992, at which point they suddenly drop off or become used in an ironic way, referencing this incident.

Here in Canada, it's always been spelled "potatoe". I was always baffled why the media made such a big deal over Dan Quayle's comment.

The amateur classical historian in me rears it's ugly head...

In brief... Gaius Julius Caesar was indeed popular and he was successful at tearing the Roman Republic and it's conquered lands apart into civil war however he made himself so reviled by the leading citizens that he ended up being assassinated. Everyone who mattered decided that Julius had really meant to adopt his nephew (who went by a number of names during his life, Gaius Octavius, being just one of them) as a son and that he was the natural successor to Julius. Octavius managed by various political and military means to reforge the shattered remenants of the republic into a mighty Empire and found such good favour (or at least made everyone who was left alive and mattered too afraid to oppose him) that they granted him the title Augustus. In short he REALLY was all that.

The massacre of three entire legions lead by Publius Quinctilius Varus in Teutoburg Forest at the hands of a supposed ally, Arminius, was indeed a major military set back for the Roman Empire. However prior to that, Rome was sacked by the Celts, several campaigns were lost in the east versus the Parthians, Sassanids and Persians and virtually every single battle versus the Carthaginian general Hanibal was an utter, utter disaster.

The amateur classical historian in me goes back to sleep and the amateur medieval historian wakes up...

WHY is Eleanor of Aquitaine not in the top six or so leaders somewhere???

tbh though we could spend all day bickering over who is the better or worst leader and why didn't such-and-such get in the list.

Top Bottom