Why am I being denounced?

Plint

Chieftain
How can I tell why I'm being denounced? Everything seemed fine with Polynesia up until turn 321 when he denounced me. From what I can tell, we have the same friends and even denounced the same leaders. I've included two screenshots and running version 1.0.3.144 with BNW.

Thanks,
Plint

Attachments

• 2013-11-10_00001.jpg
    2013-11-10_00001.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 2013-11-10_00002.jpg
    2013-11-10_00002.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 207
I don't know but if you want to hose him, you have 8 opportunities to bribe him into backstabbing one of his friends and revealing to the world what a traitor he is. :)

sometimes when civs find out you're running away with the game (if they think you are trying the same victory as them), they'll become major s.

He probably has hidden negative modifiers. He might secretly covet your lands or be angry that you built some Wonders he had started to work on.

Have you been denounced by others? If he likes you more than them, this may well have played a role.

Keep an eye on him, he should open his game more eventually and you'll see the negative modifiers.

It could be many things. It's hard to tell without knowing where you stand with the others and what you've done. Some AI are devious/lying, and prone to backstabbing. I don't have Polynesia, but Bismarck is one of those two-faced AI, and Maria Theresa (apparently Boudicca and Dido are some of the worst but they've been relatively loyal in most of my games). Pocatello is another. He pretended to be friendly for most of the game, we had several bright green modifiers and nothing else, then after he denounced me and became hostile, I discovered he coveted my lands, was angry over Wonders and about competition over the same city-states.

Like someone suggested, look for signs he's not liked by others AI or bribe him to attack someone he has a DoF with, in short try to get him chain denounced for backstabbing, and keep making friends yourself. It's often a good way to deal with AI like that, or they'll manage to get you chain denounced.

There are some great tactics mentioned above that I’ll try. I was denounced by Carthage who appears to be friends with Polynesia. Carthage was upset I was building cities too quickly. At least now I have a better understanding on the denouncing aspect of the game. Thanks for the quick help!

Top Bottom