Why didn't they tell us that before

Bamspeedy

CheeseBob
Feel free to post other examples you can think of whether from businesses or government.

In the category of 'why didn't they tell us that before' and 'why don't they just do things differently'.
1. Minor one, but this always bugged me about my local courthouse (and may apply to other local courthouses), but when you get a copy of a marriage certificate you have to buy an 'original' ($20+) and then have the options for 'certified copies' ($3 each). Go back later for just another 'certified copy' and still have to buy an original before you can buy copies. It's like you have to predict ahead of time how many copies you'll need in your life.

2. Now the big one:
Wife gets naturalized and becomes a US citizen. Her daughter, since she's not 18 yet is automatically considered a US Citizen when her mother became one. Was casually told we could apply for an optional 'Certificate of Naturalization' for the daughter, but regardless the daughter IS a US citizen whether we get that certificate or not.
That's all fine and dandy. Both wife and daughter then got a US Passport months later, traveled overseas and returned. When applying for the passport the daughter's green card was confiscated since it is no longer valid with having a passport (wife gave up greencard when naturalized).
Go to Social Security office to update the wife's information with them (citizen now and not green card holder), and they don't accept my wife certificate of naturalization form to prove her daughter is a citizen. Now, we didn't bring the passport with*, maybe that would have worked, but reading the internet I've discovered a few things:
1. USCIS (immigration) decides who is a citizen.
2. State Department/Homeland Security issues the passports and will give you a passport if they feel you 'should' be a citizen.
3. So having passport does not technically mean you are a citizen.
Despite USCIS telling us we didn't really need the certificate (the daughter is a citizen), they may later simply say they don't know if she is since we don't have the certificate. Needless to say, we better have the certificate if years down the road something happens (like a lost passport, or she marries a foreigner or adopts a foreign child) and the certificate is demanded as proof, along with other normal processes like student loans, job applications, etc.. Some places don't want passport, they will only accept U.S. birth certificates or certificates of naturalization of themselves, not of their parent.**

My wife's naturalization filing fee was something like $600. The daughter's filing fee for the 'optional' form is over $1100. (and no, don't blame Trump, the fee doubled just before the election).

This would be an interesting situation if someone says the daughter is not considered a US citizen as China already accepted her US citizenship by voiding her Chinese passport and citizenship (China doesn't recognize dual-citizenship). 'World citizen'?

Main point:
Why doesn't USCIS and State Department get their act together and if one recognizes citizenship, the other one does too (passport is enough proof of citizenship). Or, you know, maybe just automatically issue a certificate of naturalization to all children of the naturalized citizen, when those children do automatically qualify (a child who immigrated with the now naturalized citizen at the same time, lives with the US citizen and US citizen parent(s) have full custody. A child born out of wedlock, turned 18 or did not immigrate with the mother the rules are more complicated or is not considered a citizen.)

Read another post on the internet from 2012 that when bringing the passport to the Social Security office (or was it USCIS?) without being issued a certificate of Naturalization the guy was accused of fraud and saying he couldn't have got a passport without the certificate. (despite this being commonplace as we did it and found many, many cases on the internet).

I already have a U.S. passport issued by the Department of State. Am I required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship?

No. You are not required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship. The Certificate of Citizenship is an optional form. A validly issued U.S. passport generally serves as evidence of your U.S. citizenship during its period of validity unless that passport has been revoked by the Department of State. However, you may be required to submit your Certificate of Citizenship when attempting to apply for certain other benefits, including, but not limited to:

• Social Security benefits
  • State issued ID including a Driver’s License or Learning Permit
  • Financial Aid
  • Employment
  • Passport Renewal
https://www.uscis.gov/forms/n-600-application-certificate-citizenship-frequently-asked-questions

When I first applied for my current tier of benefits, it took over 7 months to hear back. They denied me, and they give you one business week to appeal. You can request an extension on that deadline over the phone.

This is what I did and the conversation ended with me thinking everything was good. I brought in my appeal during the extension deadline. I was then told that my appeal was automatically rejected for not falling within the appeal deadline.

What they didn't tell me, and was found nowhere in any of the appeal material, is that if you request an extension on the deadline, you have to then go to an office in-person to sign a form for it. Nobody told me this and it delayed my application process by 8 months. They record phone calls and I encouraged a supervisor to listen to the recording, confirming that indeed I was not told this little part of the process. I showed them the written material I was given and again, confirming that there is no mention of this part of the process. They kept firm despite this.

It made me fairly disgruntled at the time.

When told something is "optional" it's best to assume that it's really required.

When I first applied for my current tier of benefits, it took over 7 months to hear back. They denied me, and they give you one business week to appeal. You can request an extension on that deadline over the phone.

This is what I did and the conversation ended with me thinking everything was good. I brought in my appeal during the extension deadline. I was then told that my appeal was automatically rejected for not falling within the appeal deadline.

What they didn't tell me, and was found nowhere in any of the appeal material, is that if you request an extension on the deadline, you have to then go to an office in-person to sign a form for it. Nobody told me this and it delayed my application process by 8 months. They record phone calls and I encouraged a supervisor to listen to the recording, confirming that indeed I was not told this little part of the process. I showed them the written material I was given and again, confirming that there is no mention of this part of the process. They kept firm despite this.

It made me fairly disgruntled at the time.

It makes me annoyed just reading it. I'm not a fan of overt dishonesty, which is what they gave you. Holding people to requirements hidden to them is BS. Them refusing the appeal automatically in this scenario should be viewed as a breach, though who knows if it's worth the effort to pursue that avenue.

It makes me annoyed just reading it. I'm not a fan of overt dishonesty, which is what they gave you. Holding people to requirements hidden to them is BS. Them refusing the appeal automatically in this scenario should be viewed as a breach, though who knows if it's worth the effort to pursue that avenue.

Probably not, the department/people responsible for applications changed twice since then. The latest change is what finally got me these benefits; they even processed the application within 3 weeks instead of 7 months.

In the category of 'why didn't they tell us that before' and 'why don't they just do things differently'.

You live in the land of the free, so stop complaining about having to pay for
stuff.

stuff.

What if your a hot Eastern European gold digger and then your husband had to pay for Bribes to get you an Einstein visa ?
How can you punish the rich like that ! Its outrageous
OUTRAGEOUS I SAY !

This would be an interesting situation if someone says the daughter is not considered a US citizen as China already accepted her US citizenship by voiding her Chinese passport and citizenship (China doesn't recognize dual-citizenship). 'World citizen'?

Main point:
Why doesn't USCIS and State Department get their act together and if one recognizes citizenship, the other one does too (passport is enough proof of citizenship). Or, you know, maybe just automatically issue a certificate of naturalization to all children of the naturalized citizen, when those children do automatically qualify (a child who immigrated with the now naturalized citizen at the same time, lives with the US citizen and US citizen parent(s) have full custody. A child born out of wedlock, turned 18 or did not immigrate with the mother the rules are more complicated or is not considered a citizen.)

Suggestion: Walk in to your local newspaper & give a quick explanation of your problem. Tell them you're on your way to your congressman's office & ask if they'd like to send a reporter along.

You don't need to talk to your congressman; an aide will be fine. It would be good manners to set up an appointment with the congressman's office which is convenient to the aide, you & the reporter. Be courteous & professional. I like "the girl without a country" angle.

Sounds like a really annoying situation. Bureaucracies are notoriously bad at information flow, but they can get better, if there is a political will to do so. Hope it works out.

What I'm surprised by is that China voided their citisenship: I thought China was one of those countries which refuses to accept that people stop being their citisens?

stuff.

I'm not surprised there was a fee. I was surprised the daughter's fee is double what the wife's fee is when it would seem the wife's process required more paperwork. My wife wants to wait until the daughter is 18 and then have her go through the same process my wife went through to save over $500. I don't think that is how it works (she's not a greencard holder anymore so she can't use the same form my wife did), plus there may be other disadvantages of not having the certificate before she's 18 (applying for college and student aid).
And I'm surprised they say it's 'optional' when really it isn't unless you want to go through major hassles later in life when you're an adult.
Well, the naturalization oath of the daughter (since she's at least 14) will be different. I've been told it's just like the mother's naturalization only with a bunch of teenagers. I don't think she'll have to take the citizenship test like her mother did, she's learning all that stuff and being tested on it in school (and like all other citizens can freely forget that information over the years).

Sounds like a really annoying situation. Bureaucracies are notoriously bad at information flow, but they can get better, if there is a political will to do so. Hope it works out.

What I'm surprised by is that China voided their citisenship: I thought China was one of those countries which refuses to accept that people stop being their citisens?

My wife could have not applied for US citizenship and just kept renewing her green card every 10 years and remained a Chinese citizen the rest of her life despite living in America. After taking her oath she was still technically a dual citizen, but as soon as she needed a visa to visit China that is when they find out she is a US citizen and stamp 'invalid' on her Chinese passport and give her a travel visa like any other US citizen.
What I never understood about dual citizens is the part of the oath where you pledge "to defend the nation against all enemies, foreign and domestic", how that would work when the two nations at war are the ones you are citizens of. (Yes, I know the pledge is just a bunch of words and some people take those words more seriously than others, but at the oath and the preceding interviews you need to at least pretend you are taking those words seriously).

DUAL CITIZENSHIPS NOT ALLOWED
Andorra, Austria, Azerbaijan ,Burma, Bahrain, Botswana, Japan, China ,Czech Republic, Fiji,India,Indonesia, Ecuador, Estonia, Iran, Papua New Guinea, Brunei, Japan, Peru, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Chile, Kiribati, Korea, Kuwait, Latvia,Singapore, Slovakia, Ecuador, Lithuania, Solomon Islands ,Fiji ,Malaysia, Mauritius, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Romania, Mexico, Nepal, Venezuela, Norway, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nepal
Pakistan and Spain only allow dual citizens from certain countries.
http://dlgimmigration.com/united-st...ries-that-allow-or-disallow-dual-citizenship/

Last edited:
My wife was born in Argentina to American parents. She has Argentine citizenship because she was born there and US citizen ship because of her parents. Her Argentine passport is dated in the early 1950s and hasn't ever been updated.

What I never understood about dual citizens is the part of the oath where you pledge "to defend the nation against all enemies, foreign and domestic", how that would work when the two nations at war are the ones you are citizens of.
I have dual citizenship (Ireland/Canada) and I think that if Ireland ever declared war on Canada or vice versa (I know, right? Canada declaring war?), I would just have to sit back in my easy chair and recuse myself. Maybe I could be an impartial, yet conflicted interpreter. Or perhaps just support whatever country I happen to live in at the time.

Most likely, I would probably be locked up in an internment camp like they did to the Japanese in WWII.

Honestly, I would support my new country, but they would probably still lock me up.

I have dual citizenship (Ireland/Canada) and I think that if Ireland ever declared war on Canada or vice versa (I know, right? Canada declaring war?), I would just have to sit back in my easy chair and recuse myself. Maybe I could be an impartial, yet conflicted interpreter. Or perhaps just support whatever country I happen to live in at the time.

Most likely, I would probably be locked up in an internment camp like they did to the Japanese in WWII.

Honestly, I would support my new country, but they would probably still lock me up.
Did they lock up all the German-Canadians in WWII? If so, that's been kept out of the history books, and doesn't mesh with things my grandfather told me.

I'm trying, and failing, to think of any possible reason Canada and Ireland could have to be at war.

Did they lock up all the German-Canadians in WWII?

The US locked up German-Americans, but considering it was only 11,000 of the millions of Americans with German ancestry it must have only been the 'fresh of the boat' Germans or those who could only speak German.
People tend to forget this was over 70 years ago, the likelyhood if mass internment camps in this day and age (in the unlikely event of a war) is practically non-existent. (And no, a Gitmo with a few hundred prisoners doesn't count).

The US locked up German-Americans, but considering it was only 11,000 of the millions of Americans with German ancestry it must have only been the 'fresh of the boat' Germans or those who could only speak German.
People tend to forget this was over 70 years ago, the likelyhood if mass internment camps in this day and age (in the unlikely event of a war) is practically non-existent. (And no, a Gitmo with a few hundred prisoners doesn't count).
Most German decendants had gone quite far to assimilate during the Great War in 1917 and 1918, so it was probably seen as unimportant to lock them all up.

I don't see why you think mass internment camps are practically non-existent today, though. Sometimes things move slowly, but sometimes things move really fast. Your country is still trying to find the parents of two thousand kids you locked up.

I'm trying, and failing, to think of any possible reason Canada and Ireland could have to be at war.
That was the point. Can you imagine anything more improbable happening?

Joke:
1. noun: a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
2. verb: make jokes; talk humorously or flippantly.

That was the point. Can you imagine anything more improbable happening?

Joke:
1. noun: a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
2. verb: make jokes; talk humorously or flippantly.
:rolleyes:

Noun: A smiley used at Civilization Fanatics by Valka D'Ur to indicate profound annoyance when someone is throwing unwarranted sarcasm in her face.

Next time you attempt to make a "joke" you should include a note or smiley to make that clear. There are several options that would have worked.

The front of my bike fell off once and my face hit some asphalt and I blacked out. An ambulance was called and I woke up in the hospital with a bandaged up bloody face a whole bunch of hours later, opening my eyes to smiling family members and a nurse.

It was a crazy experience and I had to take off a month from work because my brain just couldn't function, I was always getting tired. I almost got fired but was eventually able to return to work and resume my duties and all was good..

So anyway, a couple weeks later I got a bill in the mail for $40 for the ambulance that took me to the hospital. I have never seen this ambulance in my life and I never asked for it, and so I marched down to the hospital and was like "wtf, $40 for an ambulance ride?"

If only I had known that there was an automatic $40 ambulance fee I would have never been riding my bike and potentially getting injured

The front of my bike fell off once and my face hit some asphalt and I blacked out. An ambulance was called and I woke up in the hospital with a bandaged up bloody face a whole bunch of hours later, opening my eyes to smiling family members and a nurse.

It was a crazy experience and I had to take off a month from work because my brain just couldn't function, I was always getting tired. I almost got fired but was eventually able to return to work and resume my duties and all was good..

So anyway, a couple weeks later I got a bill in the mail for $40 for the ambulance that took me to the hospital. I have never seen this ambulance in my life and I never asked for it, and so I marched down to the hospital and was like "wtf, $40 for an ambulance ride?"

If only I had known that there was an automatic $40 ambulance fee I would have never been riding my bike and potentially getting injured
$40 is actually cheap for an ambulance here. Would you rather have just been left on the road?

Scrape him off the pavement and push him in a wheelbarrow. Like the good old days.

Top Bottom