Why is my spice resource not producing happiness?

skdyer

Chieftain
Sorry for the stupid question. Experienced Civ IV player, but new to Civ V. I have a plantation built on a spice resource that is within my city's area of influence which I am led to believe from the hover info should create +5 happiness for my civilization. However, when I hover over the happiness counter in the top status bar the info box indicates that I am generating ZERO happiness from luxury resources. What am I missing?

Sorry for the stupid question. Experienced Civ IV player, but new to Civ V. I have a plantation built on a spice resource that is within my city's area of influence which I am led to believe from the hover info should create +5 happiness for my civilization. However, when I hover over the happiness counter in the top status bar the info box indicates that I am generating ZERO happiness from luxury resources. What am I missing?

Sometimes plantations can look complete when infact they need a few more turns being worked. eg - sometimes your workers will leave the work unfinished because of the threat of a barbarian close by.

It doesn't directly affect your happiness counter. If I remember correctly, it gives a quite a huge health bonus, activates the dormant parts of the brain and expanding perception, and staining the eyes a bright blue. You should be using collectors to get the benefits, and not using a plantation.

Like the second poster suggested, mouse over the Spice tile with a Worker selected. Make sure the Plantation is actually completed. If it needs a couple of more turns, the info box will say so (in the bottom left). It probably isn't complete yet.

Have you traded any spice? I have had a problem from time to time where a trade for a single resource took them all.

I had the same issue with a City State not giving me elephants. Turns out the camp was not complete.

The same thing happened in my game. I could trade it, but it didn't give me any happiness.

If you don't have calender researched, but have instead conquered the plantation, I believe it does not give happiness. I am not confident about this, as it does not happen very often.

Also, sometimes the happiness hover-over takes a turn to update.

Just to report back...the first poster was correct. The plantation had not completed due to a barb threat. Not sure why I was never confused about that in Civ IV. Probably because Civ IV improvements were animated so you could actually tell when something was completed and being worked. Not sure why they removed that in Civ V. Definitely added significantly to the charm of Civ IV. Oh well.

Just to report back...the first poster was correct. The plantation had not completed due to a barb threat. Not sure why I was never confused about that in Civ IV. Probably because Civ IV improvements were animated so you could actually tell when something was completed and being worked. Not sure why they removed that in Civ V. Definitely added significantly to the charm of Civ IV. Oh well.

I just assume it was a dev time problem. Not much time to pretty up the improvements when you're being kicked out the door early by a greedy publisher.

Just something to keep in mind about the game, really. When in doubt, double check it. Strategic view is wonderful for this.

Top Bottom