Wich are the best wonders?

Originally posted by Dr Jimbo

Don't forget that your stacked, unarmied units will probably upgrade as they're fighting off the hordes, gaining a HP each time, which units in an army can't do.
Yup, armies suck alright. Build one to get Heroic Epic, that's it.

Actually units in an army do get promoted they just wont create leaders.

If you put say cavalry or longbows or swords in an army when they are obsolete you can keep them as a useful unit the whole game. For instance my latest game i put 4 cavalry in an army and the thing is deadly against veteran infantry in size 20 cities defended by artillery. Normally i would have lost 3 of those cavalry attacking instead i lost none.

Sun-Tzu is amazing for fighting wars and healing units in newly captured cities. But I usually enter the Industrial Age with a modest lead if at all. However, by the end of the period, it's essentially a won game, be it space race or domination.

Using a research path that follows Steam Power, Industrialization (purchase factories with about 3000 - 4000 gold from trading), Sanitation, Nationalism and then move towards Electronics. I stock up building a wonder (such as Smith's) and switch to Theory of Evolution about the time I begin researching either Atomic Theory or Electronics. That either gives me electronics or electronics and replaceable parts. The wonder the comes next, Hoover's Dam, when coupled with the aggressive buying of factories with double digit turns to complete ensures that I'll outproduce my rivals and set the stage for a quick conquest of important cities and resources.

Every other wonder in the game up to that point is nice to have, but not necessary. I've won at Monarch and Emperor without having any wonders at all prior to ToE and HD. Instead, my bloodthirsty, well-equipped military gains them through conquest.

The ones I usually go for are Pyramids/Great library/Sistine's chapel and Hoover Dam.

Best ones in the game imo.

My personal favorites are Smith's, Sun Tzu's, and Hoover Dam. I hate the whole idea of the all-consuming U.N. and usually keep it turned off.

Originally posted by tol'Sorahn
Maybe it is just me, but the Great Library doesn't seem as useful as in Civ2. The few times I've built it it has given me about 3 technologies that would have taken me just a few turns to learn, and it always got cancelled pretty early. The biggest use for it was the extremely high culture it gave later in the game from building it really early.

The thing about the Great Library is that it only works for known civs. So if you only know 2 or 3 civs, it's not going to be that useful. Combine it with the Great Lighthouse and a galley though and... well you get the idea.

- Alan

I usually go for Great Library, Sistine Chapel, Leonardo's Workshop, J.s Bach, Adam Smiths, Shakes' Theatre. In industrial and modern ages i try and build them all!

J.S. Bach / Sistine Chapel / Shakespeare

I love Happiness and Culture!!!

Always go for the permanent wonders. I always try to build the Pyramids as soon as I have a few cities up and running. Sun Tzu's is the next big thing. I find Bach's Cathedral more important than Sistine Chapel because I don't often have the money to build Cathedrals in all the trouble spots. The one everyone's GOT TO HAVE is Smith's. It's just too bad everyone can't have it(only me!;))

But any wonder's a better wonder when it's yours!!! Build all that you can, even if you don't need 'em. I'd rather it be my rock then your Uranium!:nuke:

Always go for the permanent wonders. I always try to build the Pyramids as soon as I have a few cities up and running. Sun Tzu's is the next big thing. I find Bach's Cathedral more important than Sistine Chapel because I don't often have the money to build Cathedrals in all the trouble spots. The one everyone's GOT TO HAVE is Smith's. It's just too bad everyone can't have it(only me!;))

But any wonder's a better wonder when it's yours!!! Build all that you can, even if you don't need 'em. I'd rather it be my rock then your Uranium!:nuke:

I always go for the ones that'll give you an improvement, that way, I can build other stuff instead. I.E., I always go for Pyramids fast and, though I now this is a bad thing to do, I never really build a granary. As for Sun Tzu, I build about 4 barracks to produce my army, and then never bother to build another. Same with the Internet. Oh, and I always leader rush things like Shakespeares Theater and stuff like that for the culture boost in my fringe cities.

I never build granaries either, unless I get the Pyramids. I just don't find the benefits substantial enough to build 'em. The Internet is a MUST HAVE for anyone. In just a few turns, all those cities that you can't do diddly-squat with (or that have a valuable resource just outside their borders:mad:!!!) will become your greatest asset. I really never build Barracks, except for a few, unless I get Sun Tzu's. I only build Marketplaces if a city is getting 2 gold or more, which doesn't happen very often early in the game with a science setting at 90%. Smith's Trading Company is one of the best.

Lots of differing viewpoints in this thread, very interesting. The UN is of course a make-or-break wonder. That said, I love the Pyramids, it is the only(?) ancient wonder that never expires, and granaries are very imporant, especially only on. That said, when I manage to build the GL I can put science to 0 for a (usually short) while which allows rushing settlers and everything else that needs rushing. That said, each of the Middle Age Wonders does awesome things, they are very well balanced against each other.

If small wonders are taken into account, I should add I spend most of my time in the Forbidden Palace.

There are six groups of Wonders that SHOULD be built:
I. SCIENCE WONDERS
Colossus
Copernicus' Observatory
Newton's University
SETI Program

II. CULTURAL WONDERS
Sistine Chapel
Shakespeare's Theatre
Bach's Cathedral

III. EXPLORATION WONDERS
Lighthouse
Magellan's Voyage

IV. HAPPINESS WONDERS
Oracle
Cure for Cancer
Universal Suffrage

V. CITY IMPROVING WONDERS
Pyramids
Hoover Dam
War Academy

VI. UN

Building other wonders is optional. For example, many players worry about building Great Library. This Wonder was a powerful mean of advancing in CivII, but in CivIII it doesn't have so powerful opportunities since expiration advance (Education) can be researched quicker than Electricity in Civ II.

I liked the old UN. Where you could launch a full nuclear attack on the enemy and the next turn make them sign a peace treaty with them. I personally have never lost to the AI by Diplomatic Victory cuz I am able to win before they even get a chance. Anyway favorite wonder has got to be Sisten Chaple and with PTW I just got to invent the internet, science boost from that is just simply amazing.

Cant remember anybody mentioning The Internet? How come?

Well, it is pretty useless so late in the game, but still it makes every newly conquered citys accumulating culture, and within 5 turns the city's borders expand. So much for Culture Flipping back...

On my games, short, tiny maps, future era, many civs, this one can save alot of money in rushing libraries...

But UN still is the most important wonder.
Sun Tzu on second.

Top Bottom