Wich are the best wonders?

I usually do not plan on building any wonders at least until the middle of the second age. Adam Smith's is the only one that I like to get, but even that one only saves a few gold per turn. My primary motivation for building an early wonder would be to keep it out of the AI's hands. I would actually rather have some small wonders early. All that siad, I usually end up doing the TOE, Hoover sequence and from then on, I can build everything else at my liesure.

Play the World was not out when this thread started - this dates back to November 2001!

Don't know if anyone already noticed this (I can't be bothered to read all posts - I'm supposed to work too...) but there's a distinct advantage to Theory of Evolution. It's analogous to setting the science slider to the lowest amount where it will still take you one turn to research a tech, turning beakers that would be wasted into cash. It has to do with what ToE actually does. It's supposed to give you two free techs, and it does. However, a more accurate description would be to say that it finishes the tech you're currently researching, and gives you the next one - both for free. So if you're one turn away from Atomic Theory, you will get just over one tech for free.
If you're about to get the ToE, and you'll get it sooner than the tech you're starting to research at that point (e.g. ToE is 6 turns away, you're starting on AT and it will take you 8 turns) ToE will fininsh AT for you whether you research it or not. So pull the beaker slider to zero and watch the money roll in! This way ToE not only gets you two techs but also a lot of money.
The risk here is off course that another civ might run away with ToE. But you'll still have the money :)

Yeah, I know about ToE...which means you have to time getting the ToE with finishing tech research.

:egypt:

For Egyptians - my favourite Civ - I think the best wonders are:

Pyramid ---> Golden Age, building a lot of settlers in few turns

Oracle & Sistine, for a religiuos Civ they are very useful, people is always happy, U can save a lot of money and buy advance

UN, clearly the best

I laugh when peoples say "I usually concentrate on building Pyramids, Oracle, Great Library, Great Lighthouse, Sun Tzu's, Leonardo's Workshop, JS Bach's, Sistine Chapel, Hanging Gardens, Universal Suffrage, Cure for Cancer, Longevity, ToE, Hoover Dam, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc ...

... what did the Great Wall ever do to you?

-Pyramids and Colousu(if i can)

-In medieval i build Sun tzu and leo, but if i'm at peace, i'll build sistine and BAch. I always try to amke copernic, university and Smith. Afterwards i sort of lose interest in wonders.

I normally play pagnea, so there is alot of contact early.
I usually play as france (but greece works almost as well [you need to research masonary first])

So my tech order goes : writing, litriture, maps
and my capital build order goes: warrior (as many as necessary for capital to grow), settler, pryamids, great library

if you place the settler right, you can treat this as most people usually use their first city.

It is the advantage of france starting with masonry and alphabet

also: DO NOT TRADE LITRITURE FOR ANYTHING, as you will get it very early compared to the rest.

This way the library gives you pretty much every other ancheint tech, and its very hard to beat you to it.

For me, the best wonders are Smith's Trading Company and Hoover Dam. Free maintenance and free hydro dams :D

I'm just new to this site and I was wondering if someone could right a detailed list of all the powers they give you I have also never got to the last age let alone the 3rd since I have not enven got the game just play it at garden city libray but I am getting it but thats in a while.

Hard to say a top 3 ... there are certain ones I want to always get if I can, e.g. ToE, Hoover, UN. In my current game, I got Leo's on account of a SGL, but normally would not necessarily compete for it.

Hard to say a top 3 ... there are certain ones I want to always get if I can, e.g. ToE, Hoover, UN. In my current game, I got Leo's on account of a SGL, but normally would not necessarily compete for it.
My issue with Leo, and why I can't always build it, is because is extremely expensive and it comes in a stage where I'm still recovering from having the Great Library and I'm behind in tech

My issue with Leo, and why I can't always build it, is because is extremely expensive and it comes in a stage where I'm still recovering from having the Great Library and I'm behind in tech
Leo's to me is kind of like Smith's ... nice & useful to have, but not critical. I guess you could call them my second-tier favorites. Depends on the game I'm playing, though. If I'm going for the Spaceship, I'll want things like Copernicus' and Newton's, but my current game is not that (Monarch/Small/Archipelago/70%), which playing Scandinavia means Berserkers galore (just started building them).

Leo's to me is kind of like Smith's ... nice & useful to have, but not critical. I guess you could call them my second-tier favorites. Depends on the game I'm playing, though. If I'm going for the Spaceship, I'll want things like Copernicus' and Newton's, but my current game is not that (Monarch/Small/Archipelago/70%), which playing Scandinavia means Berserkers galore (just started building them).
True, I have been playing smaller and smaller maps, I have been playing Tiny maps now, and that impacts the Wonders I'm building. For example Pyramids and Smith trading don't make much sense because I have so few cities that doesn't even justifies their benefit.
I have been loving Beserkers as well. Add me and we do an online game, never tried it before

Pyramids, hands down. Free Granaries = fast growth for the entire game! Would rather take it from a neighbouring AI, though: I'd only build it myself if I got an SGL (as is true of most of the Ancient GWs).

Cops is nice to have built in a good core town -- but again, at such an early point in the game, I rarely if ever do that, because (playing at Emp/DG) I'm usually much more worried about staying alive!

Bach's is great for happiness, but I'm not usually thinking about building GWS until the Industrial at the earliest (assuming I've survived that long!). Then TOE, Hoovers, UN is my usual jam...

(Also, might I congratulate Mr RELIGION on another fine example of thread-necromancy...?) ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom