Will Civ 5 have a 64-bit client?

Chaotic42

Chieftain
Sorry if this has been asked before, I can't find a good way to search the forums for the number 64, so it's hard to find. As I'm sitting here with my super-huge Civ 4 world generator script grabbing 1.7GB of memory, I want to ask if there's going to be a 64-bit client for Civ 5. I can only imagine that it will be more memory intensive, and right now I could really stand to use the rest of my 12GB of memory for this Civ 4 map. :p

If the answer is no, my response would be: It's 2010!

It's been said a couple times that there will be a 64bit version, along with 32. It was only talked about in a few articles, and there are a few threads here somewhere discussing it. I can't blame you for not finding them in all of these pages of threads! :)

I'm 99% sure that a 64 bit client will NOT be available at launch.

I think I read in an interview that they might release one in the future, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

A 64 bit client? Are you guys talking about a version of the game that works better on 64-bit versions of windows or something?

It's been said a couple times that there will be a 64bit version, along with 32. It was only talked about in a few articles, and there are a few threads here somewhere discussing it. I can't blame you for not finding them in all of these pages of threads! :)

That would be fantastic. I'm not a programmer, but I'm tired of hitting that 2GB wall. As long as there's some way around it... :mischief:

I've been avoiding reading about Civ 5. I want to go in *fresh*!

This is nice, I made the switch to 64bit with Win7. Maybe there will be some ultra-strong AI that can benefit from additional memory as well.

Oh, now that I think of matches against the computer, I wonder if it would be possible to program a "team AI" that stands a chance or even gives a good challenge to humans... say random 3vs3, 3 humans vs 3 AI. Personally I'd love to play or watch such matches online!

Sorry, this was off-topic. Probably the load times will be reasonable, but it wouldn't hurt if additional memory speeds them up, too.

That would be fantastic. I'm not a programmer, but I'm tired of hitting that 2GB wall. As long as there's some way around it... :mischief:

I've been avoiding reading about Civ 5. I want to go in *fresh*!

I can't imagine Civ V using up anywhere near 2 gigs of ram...

What game has you hitting the 2gb wall? And how many programs do you have open simultaneously?

Given that the Recommended System Requirements says 4 gigabytes of RAM (and the absolute minimum is 2GB), I'd imagine the client will support 64-bit.

Currently I'm playing a Civ IV: RoM game on Earth (Giant) with 31 civs, and it's using 1.9 GB of RAM according to task manager, so I wouldn't be surprised if Civ V is able to use significantly more than 2GB of RAM.

We are looking in to releasing a 64-bit version of the executable, but it won't be available at release.

We are looking in to releasing a 64-bit version of the executable, but it won't be available at release.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

ZimbuTheMonkey said:

What game has you hitting the 2gb wall? And how many programs do you have open simultaneously?

Well, like I said that Civ 4 map hit 1.7GB on the 0th turn, and I ended up killing it after about 10 minutes of me trying to zoom out in WorldBuilder. All Points Bulletin hits the wall, Supreme Commander hit the wall, and I believe Crysis would if it weren't 64-bit. I haven't played it in a while.

Normally I have an IE with several tabs on one monitor, whatever game on the second monitor, and Steam/Vent/etc open on the third. I had 6GB of memory, but I couldn't be in APB and alt-tab out to do anything worthwhile, so I grabbed some more memory on sale. At 12GB it's far more fluid.

Sins of a Solar Empire alone can hit the limit. Add the expansion packs and it gets even worse.

It would rock to have a 64bit/Win7 executable. I plan to run it on my laptop, which has Win7 pre-installed. And the full 4GB of RAM would be very helpfull for a smooth run.

With 32-bit theres a total of 4GB addressable memory. That includes graphics card and what have you. That is why you hear some people saying that you only really get 3GB of memory. The graphics card eats up part of the addressable memory.

Limit for 64-bit:
2^64 = 18.446.744.073.709.551.616
18.446.744.073.709.551.616 / (1.024 x 1.024) = 16EB

Windows doesn't have a version that supports 16 exabytes of addressable memory, nor do I think that you could even fit that much into a computer physically at the present time.

With mods and crazy big maps, 64bit is most welcome!

Ok thats great :)

But i have heard that the Steam will install the game in some predetermined folder wich cannot be changed, and in 64bit windows all 32bit programs should be installed in "Program files (x86)" folder in order to work properly. Ok lets say that the Steam does that and installs the game in "Program files (x86)" folder. Now, if we have a '64bit exe' file in "Program files (x86)" folder it wont be able to start from that folder because it is meant for 32bit programs only, at least Crysis64bit.exe doesnt start from "Program files (x86)" folder.. :confused:

So have you thought this "problem"?

But i have heard that the Steam will install the game in some predetermined folder wich cannot be changed, and in 64bit windows all 32bit programs should be installed in "Program files (x86)" folder in order to work properly. Ok lets say that the Steam does that and installs the game in "Program files (x86)" folder. Now, if we have a '64bit exe' file in "Program files (x86)" folder it wont be able to start from that folder because it is meant for 32bit programs only, at least Crysis64bit.exe doesnt start from "Program files (x86)" folder.. :confused:

Steam install all of its games into Steam folder. You can ignore anything about Program Files (what you posted is wrong anyway, placing 32bit app into x86 folder is not needed (same for 64bit version) - its just a recomendation).

The highlighted statement in the quote above is simply not true.
If a program supports custom installation options then you can install your programs in a almost any custom directory whether they are 32 or 64 bit. The 'program files'/'program files (x86)' split is a suggestion/recommendation and is not enforced.

I run 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate and most of my programs, both 32 and 64 bit, are installed in custom directories on my D drive, leaving the C drive to the OS and a few other system type installs.

Edit: Ugh...ninja'd

Top Bottom