Will Civ 5 have a 64-bit client?

... but we're gonna have a bugged, unfinished game at release, yes :)

If there is no immediate MP, then players will have time to become proficient at the game first (but hopefully not for too long).

If there are bugs (there MUST be bugs, it's a program!) then the much-vaster-than-beta-test community will root them out, while at the same time learning & enjoying the game (hopefully the bugs won't be game-breaking for most).

WE ARE THE PIONEERS!
Later adopters of the game will not have the ease we will have in being familiar with the game.

With 32-bit theres a total of 4GB addressable memory. That includes graphics card and what have you. That is why you hear some people saying that you only really get 3GB of memory. The graphics card eats up part of the addressable memory.

Limit for 64-bit:
2^64 = 18.446.744.073.709.551.616
18.446.744.073.709.551.616 / (1.024 x 1.024) = 16EB

Windows doesn't have a version that supports 16 exabytes of addressable memory, nor do I think that you could even fit that much into a computer physically at the present time.

With mods and crazy big maps, 64bit is most welcome!
It's actually AMD's fault, they designed the x86 architecture around 52-bit addressing (48-bit addresses for OS use), since they beat Intel to the draw we use their architecture.

But, I agree, 64-bit is most welcome. One day we may even get people to understand that 64-bit does not just mean more memory.

...in 64bit windows all 32bit programs should be installed in "Program files (x86)" folder in order to work properly.
It doesn't matter where you put them, the (x86) folder is there for your sake more than anything.

If there is no immediate MP, then players will have time to become proficient at the game first (but hopefully not for too long).

All true, but I'm trying to make myself feel better that my computer is highly unlikely to run the program! :)

Yes, exceeds the amount of data on the internet by quite a bit. Fooling around with numbers as huge as 2^128 can be funny. It exceeds the number of synapses in all 6.5 billion human brains by a factor of about 50'000'000'000'000 :borg:

*As said in Neo's voice*

"Whoa"

:scan:

If there are bugs (there MUST be bugs, it's a program!) then the much-vaster-than-beta-test community will root them out, while at the same time learning & enjoying the game (hopefully the bugs won't be game-breaking for most).

WE ARE THE PIONEERS!
Later adopters of the game will not have the ease we will have in being familiar with the game.

I agree, and even more, I'm so glad the game finally comes out soon that I think I could stomach a whole month of bugs, crashes, returns to desktop, memory leaks, and so on. I didn't get the chance to pioneer Civ 4 (crappy computer at the time, had to wait months), and I rejoice too much being able to play V from day 1 to complain about ANYTHING. :goodjob:

But if there are still major issues a month after release, I will unfortunately have to start shooting people on the streets. :mischief:

I would like to see the maximum number of players (civs and city-states) increased in such a client.

64 bit would be too resource demanding. Taking turns would take you all night.

Why do you think that, cr0ws? Every program I ported to 64 bit ran faster (on 64 bit hardware and OS, of course). The extra registers and optimized instructions gave a boost.

Wouldn't a 64-bit client run faster, if anything? :confused:

What are you talking about? Assuming you have a 64-bit version of Windows and 4 or more GB of RAM then the game should be running faster, am I wrong?

Wouldn't a 64-bit client run faster, if anything? :confused:
Yes, but it's very difficult to explain that to people because they fixate on the memory addressing and start assuming that larger addresses will result in extra overhead that will slow down the application.

I ended up in a long winded debate about this a month ago or so here and made no progress so if anybody is curious they can research it themselves or continue to be misguided, I'm not getting involved again. :)

We are looking in to releasing a 64-bit version of the executable, but it won't be available at release.

Alright, so someone enlighten me.

If I were to buy it before the 64 bit version, would there be a patch that gives me the 64 bit exe file, or would I actually need to buy the game again if I wanted it in 64 bit?

And if it's the former, would I uninstall the 32 bit then install the 64 and lose all of my saves and scores from when I was running the 32, or would there be some way to keep the progress I had so far?

Alright, so someone enlighten me.

If I were to buy it before the 64 bit version, would there be a patch that gives me the 64 bit exe file, or would I actually need to buy the game again if I wanted it in 64 bit?

And if it's the former, would I uninstall the 32 bit then install the 64 and lose all of my saves and scores from when I was running the 32, or would there be some way to keep the progress I had so far?

Steam would automatically install the right version. You wouldn't need to buy it again.

The saves will probably be compatible, I don't see why they wouldn't be. Same with the scores.

But I mean if I buy the game before the 64 bit even comes out. So are you saying a patch would come out that would automatically update the game to 64 bit for everyone who has a 64 bit OS?

But I mean if I buy the game before the 64 bit even comes out. So are you saying a patch would come out that would automatically update the game to 64 bit for everyone who has a 64 bit OS?

A patch would come out that would automatically update your game to have a 64-bit option. I'm not entirely sure how it would choose which version to launch; it would likely be something you get to choose when you launch the game from Steam but this is just me hypothesizing.

No purchase at release! Well, that's no surprise, didn't intend to purchase until the somewhat less buggy version comes out. I've learned from Civ IV and other games. Wait a few months for the wrinkles to get ironed out and to save up to upgrade my computer and THEN enjoy Civ V!

I need good MP, or it's a no go.

Bah, can't wait. Better stock up on tranquilizers :lol:

To be serious, I tend to do this with games I'm not sure I'll buy or when I think their price will drop some in the months after release. If I know I'll buy the game anyways, I'll get it and see how buggy it is for me. If it is too bad, I'll drop it for a few months. Of course, you could argue that you get a much better experience if you start playing with a good version, but waiting for the release is bad enough, how should I wait months with the game being released? ;)

It's sad gaming has come to this :(

Edit: Yes, I realize I'm sending a wrong signal to the devs.

... but we're gonna have a bugged, unfinished game at release, yes :)

This is the standard of PC games nowadays, no wonder PC-gaming is dying.

This is the standard for Xbox and PS3 too, since they can download patches. Only Wii games are shipped "finished" since they can't be patched (and handhelds).

This is the standard for Xbox and PS3 too, since they can download patches. Only Wii games are shipped "finished" since they can't be patched (and handhelds).

Oh, I had no idea, I don't own a console. Well, I guess video gaming is dying, then :)

Top Bottom