Will Gods and Kings include CiV DLC?

It doesn't make logical sense to design 9 new civs and then also included civs already available to buy in this expansion. They would be sacrificing potential profit and making more content than they needed.

Quite simply, it does not make sense for DLC to be included. Yes i know, Spain blah-de-blah, i find that highly dubious. Especially considering it would render one of their DLC packs half redundant.

It doesn't make logical sense to design 9 new civs and then also included civs already available to buy in this expansion. They would be sacrificing potential profit and making more content than they needed.

Quite simply, it does not make sense for DLC to be included. Yes i know, Spain blah-de-blah, i find that highly dubious. Especially considering it would render one of their DLC packs half redundant.

I do believe that Spain is gonna only be present in the scenario, and not outside theg ame unless you own the DLC.

It just makes no sense for them to suddently change the contains of one fo the DLCs, there's no way they can get away with it without people getting REALLY upset.

It's if Mass Effect 3 suddenly removed the ending and not replace it.

Maybe if they do include Spain, they will change the actual contains, like Portgual and Inca? Nothing stops them from changing the DLC, because people who own Spain will now get Portgual instead. That sounds resonable.

I do believe that Spain is gonna only be present in the scenario, and not outside theg ame unless you own the DLC.

It just makes no sense for them to suddently change the contains of one fo the DLCs, there's no way they can get away with it without people getting REALLY upset.

It's if Mass Effect 3 suddenly removed the ending and not replace it.

Maybe if they do include Spain, they will change the actual contains, like Portgual and Inca? Nothing stops them from changing the DLC, because people who own Spain will now get Portgual instead. That sounds resonable.

I don't expect DLC to be added at no additional charge in G&K in any big way, but I find "REALLY upset" a bit hard to get behind.

Surely you can't be that upset?

I think everyone knew that the price of the DLC was going to fall precipitously after release at the time when they bought it. There's no reason that some of it shouldn't be bundled into the expansions at some point. It is the logical extension of the Game of the Year edition of various games, including Civilisation V.

It isn't the equivalent of removing the ending to Mass Effect III at all; that's a bizarre comparison.

I don't expect DLC to be added at no additional charge in G&K in any big way, but I find "REALLY upset" a bit hard to get behind.

Surely you can't be that upset?

I think everyone knew that the price of the DLC was going to fall precipitously after release at the time when they bought it. There's no reason that some of it shouldn't be bundled into the expansions at some point. It is the logical extension of the Game of the Year edition of various games, including Civilisation V.

It isn't the equivalent of removing the ending to Mass Effect III at all; that's a bizarre comparison.

I would be pissed if they took away my Spaniards and replaced them with Portugal. I don't think they can even do that without outrage. And it's not even comparable to taking out the end of Mass Effect 3, because it would be like selling the story of the ending pre-release, then including it in the game. They wouldn't sell the ending individually, they might sell DLC for an alternate ending, but not including the ending to a milestone in a franchise without extra exchanging of $$$ would make the series lose many, if not all, followers.

Here is the quote for those wondering, you can judge the meaning yourself (link):

Outre les points de gameplay, c'est évidemment une extension de Civilization, donc nous avons 9 nouvelles civilisations et leaders, ainsi que l'Espagne et Isabelle qui étaient déjà disponibles en DLC, mais qui est inclue car elle sert dans un des scénarios disponibles.

I would translate that as:

Other than the points of gameplay, this is evidently an extension of Civilization, therefore we have 9 new civilizations and leaders, as well as Spain and Isabella who were already available in DLC, but who are included because it serves in one of the available scenarios.

Of course, my French is terrible. But he seems to be talking about the main game, not the scenario and the mentioning of the scenario is just explanatory.

Yes, the wording is clear. There is Spain in addition to the 9 known and unknown new civilizations. But there's also the uncertainity factor of a journalist getting something wrong. So they still could be only in the scenario - or they could be in the whole game. It's a bit of a headscratch why they'd do it, but it's possible. And it also isn't the end of the world.

As for the comparison with sales. That's not the point. I could have waited for a sale and I understand that there are sales, but they want me to pay for an expansion with a civilization for which I already have paid for. Again, it would bother me, but that's a First World Problem. There's also no real need for them to do it besides the scenario - but they can have it only for that - or maybe they want to have a religious UA.

I would be pissed if they took away my Spaniards and replaced them with Portugal. I don't think they can even do that without outrage. And it's not even comparable to taking out the end of Mass Effect 3, because it would be like selling the story of the ending pre-release, then including it in the game. They wouldn't sell the ending individually, they might sell DLC for an alternate ending, but not including the ending to a milestone in a franchise without extra exchanging of $$$ would make the series lose many, if not all, followers.

YOu must've misunderstood me (which probably is my own fault)

If Spain was/is to be included as a full civ available in the game, then ANYBODY who originally owned Spain+Inca would now get Portgual for free.

Those who own G&K but don't own the Spain+Inca, would now be able to purchase instead Portugal+Inca.

Those who don't own G&K, and don't own Spain+Inca, can purchase it regulary, (Portgual being G&K exclusive)

Those who don't own G&K, but own Spain+Inca, keep Spain (Portgual being G&K exclusive)

That's how I view it, I just don't understand rational thinking of why all of a sudden they would decide to steal the Spain from the DLC, meaning Inca being a stand-alone. Besides, it makes no sense to actually include Spain in G&K (except in the scenario) without heavily modifying the actual New World Scenario anyways.

I know I might be "over-reacting" about being "REALLY upset" but i just think it's unfair, that's all.. now can we all drop it, I'm tired of having to defend myself :lol:

... there's also the uncertainity factor of a journalist getting something wrong. ...

This is most likely the case since what we know is a translation from the language the article was written in and the journalist would have received a a translation from English to their native language. So in essence all the non-English articles are double translations. Such translations can lead to things like "All your base are belong to us." Therefore, until we see an English article saying that Spain is included and not just part of the scenario we can't conclude anything. Even then it'd still be suspect, since a lot of journalists grab info from everywhere, including forums like this one, not just what 2K/Firaxis gives them in order to make their article different from every other article on the subject.

So really the only sources of accurate info.
  • directly from the company in its official blogs and posts on its forums by staff members
  • video/audio interviews where we hear it from their own mouth, instead of some journalists interpretation of what's said
  • Screenshots

Yeah, I take everything with a grain of salt unless I see it with my own eyes or it's coming directly from Firaxis or 2K Games.

"All your base are belong to us."
Hehe, I get that reference, I loved Empire Earth.

But seriously, it is possible that the real meaning was lost in double translation. If they include Spain in the game and not just in the scenario, great, but I don't think they would since, as already previously stated, they would lose a lot of potential profit. Especially since, if they don't include Spain, I bet a lot of people will go out and buy the DLC along with G&K just to have it.

I don't think this has anything to do with the double translation
I'm sure there will be many other civilizations only added for the scenarios - not fully playable in normal play
Why would they state Spain as the only such civ included in GK? It makes no sense to point them out if they only appear in the scenario as a bunch of other similar civs

Spain has a place in the scenarios, and probably wanted to give them a new religion related UA, so it needed a redesign anyway
It was a pretty obvious choice to also include them as a bonus civ, and IMO it's a nice touch

There is no reason to include Portugal for free for people who bought the DLC already. We already paid for Spain so why wouldn't we pay for Portugal? Pretty stupid business if they handed it out for free.

Spain should have been in the game to begin with. If they included a full DLC, then I'd be a little ticked off. The rest of the DLC needs to be sold separately. I don't care if they go for 5 cents, but they need to be bundled separately.

There is no reason to include Portugal for free for people who bought the DLC already. We already paid for Spain so why wouldn't we pay for Portugal? Pretty stupid business if they handed it out for free.

Spain should have been in the game to begin with. If they included a full DLC, then I'd be a little ticked off. The rest of the DLC needs to be sold separately. I don't care if they go for 5 cents, but they need to be bundled separately.

I'm not sure you see my point.

You only get Portgual "for free" if you already own Spain and Inca before G&K and if you own G&K (and it comes with Spain), you get Portgual to make up for Spain.

Or they could not do that and then get you to pay for Portugal ;)

Demanding things doesn't help. You have to ask what's the best way to keep Civilization going. Giving Mongolia for free made a lot of sense because it introduced people to DLC and got them interested in getting more. Plus, it was a thank you for putting up with the past patches.

Having paid for Spain as part of a double pack, provided you didn't get it as a gift or pre-order bonus over a year ago is a small inconvenience considering the low cost. I'm not all that upset about this. I think whatever goodwill gain Firaxis gets will be offset by the cost in having to produce the Civ, hire the voice actor, compose the music, etc.

Well if Spain can only be played as part of the scenario without having the DLC, that would likely boost the sales of the DLC, because folks would get a taste of the civ and want to play it outside the scenario. Even if it's redesigned for G&K, the DLC could remain unchanged. After all, it only takes a small mod type of change in G&K to alter the DLC version if you have both, yet still not allow you to play Spain outside the scenario unless you have both.

Just let cheap people have the damn civ.... seriously, when I scrolled down the list of vanilla ciVs to be included and did not see Spain, I was like.... "You can't be serious....". Didn't even want to buy the game at that point. No biggy for me though since I don't expect that trend to continue.

Was Spain in Civ4 vanilla? I know it wasn't in Civ3 vanilla.

Top Bottom