Will Gods and Kings include CiV DLC?

Of course, but on the other hand, how many people would buy the DLC and not but the expansion pack? I think that's a very small amount if any at all.

I can see it now all the players that do not like the changes for G&K will certainly buy it instead of sticking with the love of their life, an unfinished CiV vanilla. One with supposedly the best diplo system ever, with that nincompoop AI, they say is simply trying to win. Ha they'll buy the new game and be complaining about it til XMAS! :) Hopefully in a seperate rants thread. ;)

They could easily add "Requires GK expansion" to future dlcs, and with steam they can check if you have the expansion.

You guys are making it too complicated. If they do a rebalancing of civ traits, it will be done with all the civs together, but more than likely all the civ traits will be in the core game.

When you buy DLC, you're just dling the art, sound files. They're not going to break their game by leaving important things like civ trait code only in DLC packs.

All the major gameplay items will be in the updated core game, which is why I stated the G&K expansion will more likely be a re-release of Civ5 with the core game included, at retial.

All the major gameplay items will be in the updated core game, which is why I stated the G&K expansion will more likely be a re-release of Civ5 with the core game included, at retial.
Isn't that the definition of an expansion pack? Expanding on the core game. Hence the word 'expansion' ;)

I think the all civs will be useable even DLC civs. Perhaps not DLC scenarios though. But we will see. Even if they are not do not worry they will be made useable at some point. God I hope.

Without adding the DLC civs would handicap the players who love playing as those civs. Why hurt the fun factor? This could hurt sales. I do hope all civs will be useable. it is more intersting to have more civs available to diversify my games. Also I have purchased all the DLCs and do not plan on buying them again. That would not be right for Firaxis to squeeze extra out of its loyal fanbase.

I sure hope so. they did that with the CIV expansions

You guys are making it too complicated. If they do a rebalancing of civ traits, it will be done with all the civs together, but more than likely all the civ traits will be in the core game.

When you buy DLC, you're just dling the art, sound files. They're not going to break their game by leaving important things like civ trait code only in DLC packs.

That's the thing. Every time they've released DLC they've patched the game to include the new abilities in the DLL and the ability hooks in the XML schema. Technically, you could easily just copy the XML from the DLC civs and make a mod civ (minus the art assets) that functions identical to the DLC without purchasing it.

However, Vanilla and G&K will have different DLL's. There is no question about this. This is why G&K is an expansion pack, not DLC. The Vanilla DLL will not have espionage or religion worked into the code, so you won't be able to just copy G&K's XML and get the same functionality minus the art assets. But G&K is not a stand-alone expansion so it will still refer to files within Vanilla. This is why the currently released DLC with be compatible with both versions (especially since, unlike Civ IV's XML, you no longer have to refer to every element of the schema) and why there's no need to include it in the expansion because they can keep selling it to both audiences.

I asked the same question and a lot of ther people asked it at : Ask Dennis Shirk about Civ V: Gods & Kings forum check it out next week the answers will be posted

I am pretty sure the DLC question will be answerd because a lot of people are asking it

My thought process on these questions: whether or not the DLC will come with the expansion would be a decision of 2K. Dennis Shirk is a Firaxian. I doubt he would have much input into the Civ5 sales model, and I doubt asking him about basic product information that 2K will have to release at some stage anyway is really worth the question.

The obvious answer would seem to me to be that of course the DLC won't be included in the standard expansion (that would seem to defy logic; the expansion is selling for $30 and how much do the DLC cost put together?), though it's probably likely that a G&K + DLC version will be released including it all.

They can't give them for free to anyone who buys the expansion, either. Anyone who already bought the DLC will have Firaxis' head if they do. They will probably go on sale alongside the expansion or maybe even receive a permanent price drop, though.

What about the people who bought Play the World, who later saw PTW's additions included in Conquests, civs included? If the expansion pack includes DLC, I'd actually buy it and Civ5. I've abstained for various reasons, and my irritation at the fact that civs as basic as the Babylonians are regarded as 'extras' is a major influence. Save DLC for obscure civs and flavor.

The obvious answer would seem to me to be that of course the DLC won't be included in the standard expansion (that would seem to defy logic; the expansion is selling for $30 and how much do the DLC cost put together?), though it's probably likely that a G&K + DLC version will be released including it all.

You're right. It doesn't make any sense for Firaxis to release the DLC with the G&K expansion. They would alienate many of the players who forked out the money for the DLCs only to rebuy it with the expansion. If that were to occur, I would reconsider my decision to purchase DLC unless there was a comparable cost offset for the expansion.

Save DLC for obscure civs and flavor.

That sounds basically like saying "spend money to make things people aren't going to buy and then include all the popular things together at a significantly lower price."

You're right. It doesn't make any sense for Firaxis to release the DLC with the G&K expansion. They would alienate many of the players who forked out the money for the DLCs only to rebuy it with the expansion. If that were to occur, I would reconsider my decision to purchase DLC unless there was a comparable cost offset for the expansion.

Not only would it alienate those of us that bought the DLC, it'd completely kill their DLC sales, because everyone would be expecting to get them with the next expansion. Odds are they'd lose even more sales because those they alienate will be unlikely to buy this expansion nor any future expansions.

So in a nutshell, including the DLCs with the expansion would be a very bad business decision.

What about the people who bought Play the World, who later saw PTW's additions included in Conquests, civs included? If the expansion pack includes DLC, I'd actually buy it and Civ5. I've abstained for various reasons, and my irritation at the fact that civs as basic as the Babylonians are regarded as 'extras' is a major influence. Save DLC for obscure civs and flavor.

If you think about it, including stuff from one expansion in the next expansion makes a lot more sense than including the DLCs in the expansion. Ya see, by the time that 2nd expansion comes out the first expansions price is sitting in the bargain bins at a mere fraction of its original cost. However, the DLCs are still selling for their original cost.

In other words, the older expansions just aren't selling anymore anyway, so they aren't losing any money by including them in the next expansion. By contrast, the DLcs are still selling, so they would lose money by including them in the expansion.

What is possible is that the expansion includes the DLC civs but not any other part of the DLC, ie scenarios or bonus units (eg the three-man chariot and Sumerian vulture). Thinking of the expansion scenarios, especially the Medieval one, there are some DLC civs that could potentially be in it.

What is possible is that the expansion includes the DLC civs but not any other part of the DLC, ie scenarios or bonus units (eg the three-man chariot and Sumerian vulture). Thinking of the expansion scenarios, especially the Medieval one, there are some DLC civs that could potentially be in it.

Everyone that paid for the DLC better be able to use the DLC civs at least. I am not purchasing them all over again thats for sure. And without them the game is gonna stink. It would be nice to have the scenarios workable with the xpac, but not essential at least IMO.

Everyone that paid for the DLC better be able to use the DLC civs at least. I am not purchasing them all over again thats for sure. And without them the game is gonna stink. It would be nice to have the scenarios workable with the xpac, but not essential at least IMO.

Of course the DLC civs will work with the expansion. That's not what this thread is about. It's about folks that didn't buy the DLCs wanting to get them for free with the expansion.

Of course the DLC civs will work with the expansion. That's not what this thread is about. It's about folks that didn't buy the DLCs wanting to get them for free with the expansion.

Thats not going to happen. They should just buy the DLCs now. They must be cheap at the moment.

I wonder though are the scenarios going to work? I figured they'll have to add the DLC civs. Still, there have been misgivings by some, as there has been no official word about any of this. Thats why I said what I said. Do you have official word this is true? They are not going to give people the DLCs for free with the expansion, because then everyone like me that bought them will feel cheated. Plus it will make me damn mad. Its not my fault certain people did not buy the DLCs for whatever reason.

At first I thought there was no possible way they would include the DLCs in with the XP because it wouldn’t be fair to those of us that paid to download them. But then I got to thinking about how they said that some existing civs were going to get overhauls to their UAs. How would that work?

If they, hypothetically, change Spain’s UA to give a bonus to religion, how will that affect those who have the Spain DLC, but don’t buy the XP? Or would they have to have 2 separate Spain DLCs: one for those with the XP and one for those without it? Or would the changes to Spain’s UA be in the XP code and not the DLC code?

At first I thought there was no possible way they would include the DLCs in with the XP because it wouldn’t be fair to those of us that paid to download them. But then I got to thinking about how they said that some existing civs were going to get overhauls to their UAs. How would that work?

If they, hypothetically, change Spain’s UA to give a bonus to religion, how will that affect those who have the Spain DLC, but don’t buy the XP? Or would they have to have 2 separate Spain DLCs: one for those with the XP and one for those without it? Or would the changes to Spain’s UA be in the XP code and not the DLC code?

It could be that the change is only applied via the xp. I would say the change would be in the xp code. If thats the case maybe the DLCs will be completely updated via xp code, including scenarios. So you could buy the DLC and not the xp, and just play civ vanilla. Or you could buy a DLC and the xp, and the DLC would work with the xp of course. Firaxis I doubt would want to hurt revenues by restricting these DLC. They want people to buy them. And if people buy DLC to go along with the newly purchased xp. I would imagine they will make sure the DLCs work with it. For people that have not purchased the DLCs for whatever reason yet, they are not going to be free with the xp. The DLC are a money maker. DLCs are going to sell like hotcakes coming up once we get official word they will work via xp.

It could be that the change is only applied via the xp. I would say the change would be in the xp code. If thats the case maybe the DLCs will be completely updated via xp code, including scenarios. So you could buy the DLC and not the xp, and just play civ vanilla. Or you could buy a DLC and the xp, and the DLC would work with the xp of course. Firaxis I doubt would want to hurt revenues by restricting these DLC. They want people to buy them. And if people buy DLC to go along with the newly purchased xp. I would imagine they will make sure the DLCs work with it. For people that have not purchased the DLCs for whatever reason yet, they are not going to be free with the xp. The DLC are a money maker. DLCs are going to sell like hotcakes coming up once we get official word they will work via xp.

ah, I see. So the DLCs will retain their original Vanilla coding for those that don't purchase the XP. If the XP does make a change to one of the DLCs, that code will be in the XP and will overwrite its Vanilla coding when you start G&K (if you puchesed that particular DLC).

ah, I see. So the DLCs will retain their original Vanilla coding for those that don't purchase the XP. If the XP does make a change to one of the DLCs, that code will be in the XP and will overwrite its Vanilla coding when you start G&K (if you puchesed that particular DLC).

Thats certainly a solution to the problem, if its able to be done, which it should be. Whether they will do that though is anyone's guess.

Top Bottom