Will this graphics card do the trick?

Guys, when talking about graphics cards, please take a look at this thread at the 2K forums. It has a nice list of which card can run it and which not.

Sadly, their list confirms that my otherwise very capable computer needs a new graphics card or otherwise I will be running at barely above minimum spec.

Unfortunately it does not include the 5450, but based on the placement of 5570 I can guess I'll need an upgrade

Hey thanks for the help. For the record I was playing a huge multi-player map on a 60in dlp hd tv and I had the game cranked to 1080. Took back the 5670 and got a Ati 4870 so im all set now, sure no dx11 but its dx10.1 probably wont notice much difference.

Tessellation...the Radeon 5850 isn't incapable of it and tessellation is barely used.

Tessellation may be barely used so far, hoever it definitely is being used with variable settings from low to high in Civ V, and it will soon become just as common as pixel shaders, bump mapping and anisotropic filtering - I am completely sure that by the end of 2011, every new game will be using it.

I've used ATI cards for for over 5 years, and previously had a pair of 5770s. There was lots of testing and investigation being carried out for the DX11 and tessellation performance on the HD 5000 cards, and they foud quite simply that tessellation performance was very limited, and the same across the entire range - my 5770 crossfire would get exactly the same minimum FPS in tessellation benchmarks as rossfired 5870s or a 5970.

The HD 5000 range isnt incapable of tessellation, however its tessellation function is very limited. This is believed to have been due to ATI wanting to get the cards out asap to overtake Nvidia, while giving little thought to the tessellation engine. and Civ V definitely uses Tessellation.

Hey thanks for the help. For the record I was playing a huge multi-player map on a 60in dlp hd tv and I had the game cranked to 1080. Took back the 5670 and got a Ati 4870 so im all set now, sure no dx11 but its dx10.1 probably wont notice much difference.

IMO you should have gotten a 5770 really.

A useful comparison table of the various graphics cards:

[

Heres a better place to compare:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/180?vs=164

The GTX 460 isnt very far behind, and costs a lot less than a 5850 does. Now in Civ V, if you turn Tessellation up to full, the GTX 460 will easily catch up, and maybe even overtake the 5850s performance.

Hey everyone,

I really hope I'm not being too much of a pest here--I know there's probably been a lot of posts asking about system requirements. I checked the 2k forum thread and could not find my graphics card, so I was hoping someone could give me some quick feedback.

I have a laptop with a NVIDIA GT130M. I meet all other requirements at recommended. I basically just want to make sure that the game will run decently at minimum settings before I preorder it.

Thanks in advance.

Google-fu reveals that:
The performance of the GT 130M should be somewhere near the 9650M GS. Therfore high end games like GTA 4 and Crysis wont run in high settings, but less demanding games (like Lef 4 Dead) should run fluently in high settings.

[this video card is a] DirectX 10 graphics card for notebooks and technically a higher clocked GeForce 9650M GT

Compared to desktop graphics cards, the GT 130M is similar to the GeForce 9500GT

If you have DDR3 memory version of that card, it should probably run fine on minimum. It may even go above it a bit. If it's DDR2, I'm not sure at all. DDR2 in video cards is old tech.

Try seeing if the bolded graphics cards are on the systems requirements thread on 2k forums, or whatever the link was to earlier in this thread.

Try the demo out, see how it goes.

Hey everyone,

I really hope I'm not being too much of a pest here--I know there's probably been a lot of posts asking about system requirements. I checked the 2k forum thread and could not find my graphics card, so I was hoping someone could give me some quick feedback.

I have a laptop with a NVIDIA GT130M. I meet all other requirements at recommended. I basically just want to make sure that the game will run decently at minimum settings before I preorder it.

Thanks in advance.

Your Laptop has a Quad core @2.4GHz? :eek:
Yes, your GPU beats minimum spec

Top Bottom