[WIP] Indonesia Split (Community Project)

In the spirit of splitting Firaxis civs, I thought it'd be nice to split Indonesia. My hopes are for this to be a community project that everyone will enjoy taking part in.

The designs are a follows:

Mataram Sultanate (Agung)
UA: Kabupaten - Puppet Cities produce 25% less unhappiness
UU: Kris Swordsman (Longswordsman) - Same
UB: Rice Barn (Barracks) - +1 food from fresh water farms, Units trained in this city heal faster in enemy territory

Majapahit Empire (Gajah Mada)
UA: Spices of Maluku - The first three cities founded after the capital spawn 1-3 sources of Cloves, Nutmeg or Pepper
UU: Raden Wijaya's Warrior (Swordsman) - Bonus when flanking and/or against fortified units
UB: Candi (Garden) - Same

Srivijaya Empire (Dapunta Hyang)
UA: Thalassocracy - City-States join your empire if a naval trade route is maintained long enough
UU: Borubudur Ship (Cargo Ship) - Can form trade routes over oceans from start of game
UB: Entrepot (Lighthouse) - On top of normal lighthouse, Ships built in this city may cross ocean tiles

Medang Kingdom (Balitung)
UA: The Great Builder - Gain a small boost of faith whenever a religious buildng or wonder is built in the empire
UU: Khatriya (Warrior) - Gain a combat bonus based on the amount of faith produced
UB: Budur (Grand Temple) - Can be built 3 times. Each with a different ability

These are not final and suggestions/discussions are welcome. ANyone interested in joining the project just reply with how you wanna help.

As of now the team is (Question marks denote empty positions, any position can have more than one person in it):

Organizer: King William I

XML: King William I
Lua: ?
SQL: ?

Maps: King William I (Anyone who can do a better job, i.e. anyone is welcome to it)
Civ Icons: King William I
Leaderscrenes: ?
Unit art: ?
Various other arts: ?

Civiliopedia entries: ?
DOM Writers: ?

And of course, we'll need music so any suggestion is good.

I look forward to splitting Indonesia with you all!

I also had an Indonesia split in mind....

If I recall correctly, LITE was working on a Sirivjaya civ? Though I have no idea what stage of the process they're up to.

IIRC regalman stated they won't change Indonesia's name to Majaphit, so that's hardly a split.

Yeah, it does actually count as splitting...

Honestly the discussion of what constitutes as a split could go on forever. I'd much rather we focus on building the civs. I think I've come up with a balanced breakdown of Medang's UA

Gain a small faith boost when a religious building is built in the empire*

*2 faith from shrines
5 faith from temples
10 from religious wonders

Yeah... No offence, but I found those UAs boring and too simple...

Yeah... No offence, but I found those UAs boring and too simple...

I mean, sometimes UAs are best when they are simple.

But not in this case. You should have a damn good reason to replace a civ, escpially a civ like Indonesia(which is boring, but isn't quite a blob civ, like Germany).

You should have a damn good reason to replace a civ

If this was Firaxis and not modders, I'd agree with you, but given that it's just a mod (and therefore not forced on everyone) I disagree. I wouldn't complain even about splitting a civ like Brazil that's been pretty much united for its entire existence.

escpially a civ like Indonesia(which is boring, but isn't quite a blob civ, like Germany).

Indonesia may not be as much of a blob as the Celts or Polynesia, but it's still definitely a blob.

No, it really isn't. The UA, UU, and UB did belong to Gajah Mada's times. It simply should be renamed Majaphit...

No, it really isn't. The UA, UU, and UB did belong to Gajah Mada's times. It simply should be renamed Majaphit...

Okay, fair enough, but the concept of (premodern) "Indonesia" is itself a bit blobby*, since it was only intermittently united.

Anyway, I generally like simple-but-elegant UAs. I do think, though, that the choices of civs are a bit Western-Indonesia-centric - three Java-based civs and one Sumatra-based. Adding in some stuff from other islands would be nice for variety - has anyone messaged BenZL43 about this project?

*Not quite a "blob" in the usual sense but I can't think of another term for this.

Normally I don't have problems with simple UAs, but in this case I really think the UA is a bad idea due to the fact that it simply makes the buildings do what they already do in the first place, it doesn't really provide something different, just makes them provide what they already do a little bit faster. The bonus is too negligible to be worth it.

Okay, fair enough, but the concept of (premodern) "Indonesia" is itself a bit blobby*, since it was only intermittently united.

Anyway, I generally like simple-but-elegant UAs. I do think, though, that the choices of civs are a bit Western-Indonesia-centric - three Java-based civs and one Sumatra-based. Adding in some stuff from other islands would be nice for variety - has anyone messaged BenZL43 about this project?

*Not quite a "blob" in the usual sense but I can't think of another term for this.

I messaged BenZL43 about the possibility of an Indonesia split before this project started.
And where's king William?

Sorry College and a full time job can really take it outta you.

Ok I can see the boring UAs. I myself like simple abilities (They can be so subtly powerful) But any suggestion is a good one at this point.

As far as the choices being Java-centric. I apologize for that, I was looking more at time period than location.

For the UAs

Mataram - I definitely want something that makes holding on to lots of conquered cities easier. Maybe something that shortens resistance to go along with the unhappiness cut?

Majapahit - If possible I'd like it to stay as is. The spice resources are really powerful but they are kind of limited to archipelago maps, the main point of this was to change that.

Srivijaya - This one I like as is, and I think it synergizes well with the unit and building. But definitely need a turn time for the conversion. (Also might need a pop-up, so the flip is optional on the player's part.)

Medang - Could use some (a lot) of work. My thought was it would be like the event form P&P that granted faith from building buildings. If that concept could be kept, I'd prefer it.

I had a design for Majaphit, which contained a General UU and the resource thing... Its on my thread, under the design resources section of this subforum.

Hi! Nice to see there's another initiative to split Indonesia beside Natan's project :)
I can't mod Civ 5, but being Indonesian, I think I can help from supplying resources and details since unfortunately there's lot of interesting findings that are yet to be translated to English.

On the 4 civilization splits, great job! Yes, it is too Java-centric but it does accurately represent the Javanese civilization in its 3 phase : Hindu-Buddhist (Medang), Expansionist (Majapahit), and Islamic (Mataram).

Spoiler :
Another Javanese kingdom I think worth to be mentioned is Singhasari kingdom, a direct predecessor to Majapahit.
Prince Wijaya, son-in-law of Kertanegara, the last Singhasari king, then ascended the throne as Kertajasa Jayawardhana, the first king of the great Majapahit Empire, on 12 November 1293.
Spoiler Info on Singhasari :

but of course, adding this will make this split even more Javanese.

So here's from the Sulawesi island :
Spoiler :
A little background - there are 2 major civilization in southern Sulawesi, Buginese civilization and Makassan civilization; often goes into conflict with each other. The oldest and probably biggest Bugis kingdom is Luwu, from around 10th century. It is a major exporter of Iron to Majapahit as material for its Kris sword. Sulawesi's etymology itself come from Sula (Island) + Wesi (Iron); I think Old Javanese.

Sultanate of Gowa

On the other hand, Macassan tribe's biggest kingdom is the Sultanate of Gowa. Its timeline is around when European people start arriving in Indonesia, inspiring the King to unite his territory from confederation of loosely states into a single, united kingdom and start conquering other neighboring nation like the Buginese civilization I mentioned earlier. Sultan Hassanudin is the most famous leader of Gowa, also a national hero due to his bravery in war against Netherlands.

Makassan people are famous for its seafaring ability, religiousity, maritime trade and naval war. They are also the first foreign civilization in contact with Australian aboriginal. This civilization decline due to Dutch's East India Company meddling with its war against Buginese kingdom of Bone, that ends with treaty of Bongaya and Dutch monopoly of trade around what used to be Gowan land. Pinisi ship could be their UU.Interestingly, there's French and Deutsche wiki page for this but none in English.[/SIZE]

Spoiler :
Spoiler Map :

Spoiler Flag/Logo :

Spoiler Hasanuddin :

Spoiler Pinisi ship :

Top Bottom