Wonders that look worst on the map

Argive

Chieftain
I really like the CiV map. Cities feel alive, units feel alive, the ocean shines on the horizon... But...

But the wonders... Some of them, the coolest ones even, are a few tiny ugly dots. So much work to build them, and they look so... unsatisfactory.

Which ones?

My list, in ascending order of lameness:

- Notre Dame. It's a major boost to happiness, a wonderful structure, and so, so lame on the CiV map. And it gets so lost when the skyscrapers appear.
- CN Tower. It really looks like a needle. Not a pretty one.
- United Nations. It's actually represented, but man, it's so indistinct.
- Brandenburg Gate. What's up with the Victory statue on top?
- Cristo Redentor. It looks more like a cheap suburban nativity scene than a world wonder.

Cristo Redentor irl is like on top on a mountain right? Maybe it should have a "must be built within 2 tiles of a mountain from city" restriction.

- Notre Dame. It's a major boost to happiness, a wonderful structure, and so, so lame on the CiV map. And it gets so lost when the skyscrapers appear.
It should, it's a medieval wonder and not that tall compared to skyscrapers.
The Quadriga? It's supposed ot be there.
- Cristo Redentor. It looks more like a cheap suburban nativity scene than a world wonder.
Agreed, stick it on a mountain, or at least a nearby hill.
Add to the list:
Leaning Tower of Pisa. It looks repulsive, and to my eye it isn't even wonky. More effort on this one is needed.
Terracotta Army. I appreciate this one's kinda hard to do, but it still looks rediculous.
Petra. looks like a child has made a door out of putty, and with the AI building it in stupid locations, it rarely ends up on the desert that is required for it.

Petra is hit-or-miss. If it's located in a proper position, such as in a desert backed up against a hill or mountain, it looks ok. If it ends up in the sea or slapped up against city walls, it looks really, really stupid.

The great library looks really out of place for me. I still build it, but it just look so odd.

And I hate it when the thing sits there looking like it's still being built when it's clearly supposed to be finished.

The great library looks really out of place for me. I still build it, but it just look so odd.

And I hate it when the thing sits there looking like it's still being built when it's clearly supposed to be finished.

That's because they had to build a new wing to house all the technological advances you made after they finished it.

Seriously though, I've had that bug too, and it's annoying. It does seem to go away after a while.

Great Library looks weird, and any land-wonder that appears in the sea looks lame.

That's because they had to build a new wing to house all the technological advances you made after they finished it.

Seriously though, I've had that bug too, and it's annoying. It does seem to go away after a while.

:p I figure they might as well build a whole new complex.

I find that saving, quitting, and then reloading fixes the issue for any of these.

@Pibb
There are some wonders that look nice on the sea, like stonehenge and the oracle. Pyramids are iffy. Beyond that, I don't really know what would.

It should, it's a medieval wonder and not that tall compared to skyscrapers.
The Quadriga? It's supposed ot be there.
Agreed, stick it on a mountain, or at least a nearby hill.
Add to the list:
Leaning Tower of Pisa. It looks repulsive, and to my eye it isn't even wonky. More effort on this one is needed.
Terracotta Army. I appreciate this one's kinda hard to do, but it still looks rediculous.
Petra. looks like a child has made a door out of putty, and with the AI building it in stupid locations, it rarely ends up on the desert that is required for it.

Notre Dame just doesn't have to disappear among skyscrapers. There's a huge plaza around it, and it's the tallest structure in its neighborhood. Besides, even before skyscrapers it just doesn't look majestic enough.
I know that Victory is supposed to be there, perched on top of the gate. But the way it's rendered on the screen, it's really ugly.
Leaning Tower is too grey for me; otherwise I'm not that disturbed. But yeah, it's not slanting much.
I kinda like Terracotta Army. But it usually sticks out of the city walls. Great Library does that too, but for some reason TA bothers me more when it does.
Petra: Agreed, although if it's against a hill or something, it gets better.

Yeah, I wondered that too. I built one and it just looked weird sitting out in the middle of a farm field.
Cristo Redentor irl is like on top on a mountain right? Maybe it should have a "must be built within 2 tiles of a mountain from city" restriction.

I don't remember if it was Civ II or III, but Magellan's Voyage looked like a cheesy playground.

I really like the CiV map. Cities feel alive, units feel alive, the ocean shines on the horizon... But...

But the wonders... Some of them, the coolest ones even, are a few tiny ugly dots. So much work to build them, and they look so... unsatisfactory.

Which ones?

My list, in ascending order of lameness:

- CN Tower. It really looks like a needle. Not a pretty one.
- United Nations. It's actually represented, but man, it's so indistinct.

I think Great Wall that straddles the border between you and the sea tiles around 5-maximum tiles around the city that it's built in looks the worst. Why can't it just straddle the land borders of your empire?

Petra is hit-or-miss. If it's located in a proper position, such as in a desert backed up against a hill or mountain, it looks ok. If it ends up in the sea or slapped up against city walls, it looks really, really stupid.

What he said.

Generally I find wonder placements pretty lame. What I don't understand is why if you have Machu Pichu and build Neuschwanstein in the same city almost everytime it will put it 'on top' of Machu Pichu even if there are plenty of other mountains around.

The Mosque of Djienne looks awful. It looks like a halfway built Hagia Sofia when it's finished. I don't know how many times I've built it and then looked at the city and thought "wait, am I building Hagia Sofia in that city?"

For those who want a reminder of what the wonders look like on the map, there is a gallery here:

http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=39

I dislike:

The Great Firewall (since there is no graphic).

Notre Dame, CN Tower, Cristo Redentor, Statue of Liberty, Louvre, Big Ben, Leaning Tower, Kremlin, and Sistine Chapel are too small and easily get hidden by the city.

Pentagon, Terracotta Army, and Great Mosque are ugly.

What kind of graphic could they use for the Great Firewall? Maybe a translucent holographic "forcefield" around your city with lots of binary numbers streaming through it (like something from The Matrix)?

I need to pay more attention. I'm going to play a game on my good computer so I can turn graphics up to really look at these. I still liked the movies better... it would be cooler if you could get inside these virtual wonders. It would also probably be better if there were some urban sprawl here... let your city move to the extended circle with these things and have them out so they can be seen and enjoyed by all (without being destroyed by roving barbs and enemies).

Also... with current technology, they could make the great wall virtual and expand with your borders... I know that it doesn't make historical or logical sense, but it would be nice looking. Maybe it could stop expanding after gunpowder or whatever.

Top Bottom