World Athletics Championships

farting bob

ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.
Helsinki 2005 looks like it could be a pretty good event.
As a brit i'm looking forward to Radcliffe in the womans marathon and 10k, and the relay should be good with our olympic winning team.
Although some top athletes are out, and with it being a post-olympic year, standards often arent as high, so i dont know how many records will be broken, but im looking for some good close competitions.

Shabbaman said:
First gold ever for my country. Amazing. All thanks to the bad weather!
Thanks to the weather ? I'd rather thank the incredible luck... at 5.65 (I think) the bar jumped up 30cm but didn't fall, that's luck :p

Definately through the weather. His best performance this season was at the Golden League in Paris, where he got second in pouring rain. Considering that others with higher PB's failed on lower heights, I'd say that they failed through the weather (like they did in Paris). Thus, Blom won thanks to the weather.

That, and a blundering American (always nice ;) ). But polevaulters are experienced in "using" the bar. Last season they changed the bar holders and rules. It used to be legal to keep the bar in place with your hand. Nice eh... Geluk dwing je af.

Oh well, I'm happy for you guys anyway, luck or no luck. A first ever gold medal in athletics is very nice ... as long as we beat you guys in soccer next time our teams meet.

SonicX said:
No, you attempt to play it.

Well, our attempts at least got us a European Championship and some quite succesful club teams with a lot of European Cups.
If that's just attempting to play football, then I wonder what description you use for Belgian football? :p

Darkness said:
Well, our attempts at least got us a European Championship and some quite succesful club teams with a lot of European Cups.
If that's just attempting to play football, then I wonder what description you use for Belgian football? :p
We've had our deal of successes in the past :)
A world cup 4th place in 1986, a European Cup final, some European top teams in the 80's (Antwerp, Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Beveren and KV Mechelen) ...
And ofcouse we beat a self proclaimed world champion in 1994 in the group stage, we once kept the same self proclaimed world champions out of the world cup altogether :eek:

SonicX said:
We've had our deal of successes in the past :)
A world cup 4th place in 1986, a European Cup final, some European top teams in the 80's (Antwerp, Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Beveren and KV Mechelen) ...
And ofcouse we beat a self proclaimed world champion in 1994 in the group stage, we once kept the same self proclaimed world champions out of the world cup altogether :eek:

Seems like a series of "Almosts", "Maybes" and "Could have beens" to me... ;)
So, do you have any hardware to show for these successes? :p

Darkness said:
Seems like a series of "Almosts", "Maybes" and "Could have beens" to me... ;)
So, do you have any hardware to show for these successes? :p
Oh come on, A Dutchmen is the last person who should start to talk about "almosts" :lol:
If we oughta believe what y'all say, you'd have been world champions 10 times or so :lol:

Well, Thank god the Uk got some medals, for most of the time we were looking at only paula radcliffe in the marathion getting us a medal! 1 gold and 2 bronze (both relays) isnt a good tally at all.
We got more medals than holland, but estonia and the mighty sporting nation known as bahrain were ahead of us (although all of bahrains medals were brought from africa...)

SonicX said:
Oh come on, A Dutchmen is the last person who should start to talk about "almosts" :lol:

:confused:
Why?
At least we can differentiate between "almost" and "got it" from first-hand experience... ;)

farting bob said:
We got more medals than holland

That's not too big an achievement actually. Holland has won a grand total of 7 medals in our entire history at the World Championships... ;)

Top Bottom