Worst Famous Painting Ever

^ I think this was about the horrors of war or something of the sort.

Nope, its of Saturnus devouring his children. One of those children is Zeus, but his mother Rhea wrapped a rock in baby's clothes so that Saturnus ate the rock instead of him. When Zeus was grown up, he killed Saturnus and cut open his stomach, and released his brothers and sisters, who went on to defeat the Titans blah blah blah.

THEY DON'T USE IT LIKE IN VOICE OF FIRE! VOICE OF FIRE USES COMPLEMENTARY COLORS TO EXPLOIT THE AFTERIMAGE EFFECT A PERCEPTUAL EFFECT I'VE NEVER SEEN USED IN A PAINTING BEFORE.

SO PLEASE, CAN I HAVE THAT APOLOGY NOW?

No. Complimentary colors and the manipulation thereof are as basic as basic can get. Now it's not even a matter of "a child could do that," it's a matter of "the very concept is lame and uninspired."

I will apologize for saying it so rudely, though. I didn't mean to be so mean. :(

No. Complimentary colors and the manipulation thereof are as basic as basic can get. Now it's not even a matter of "a child could do that," it's a matter of "the very concept is lame and uninspired.
The idea of using the afterimage effect to intensify an image and to optimize it in the way he did is rather inspired in my view.

The piece seems designed exquisitely to produce such an effect.

Of course, I haven't seen it in real life, but from all available evidence it seems like it would be pretty cool to see.

The idea of using the afterimage effect to intensify an image and to optimize it in the way he did is rather inspired in my view.

The piece seems designed exquisitely to produce such an effect.

Of course, I haven't seen it in real life, but from all available evidence it seems like it would be pretty cool to see.

The concept is not foreign to any artist that knows anything about color, artists use this sort of trick all the time, as a supplement to a large variety of other techniques and tricks, all within the same painting. It may have been novel to the person that painted that piece and to you, but to the rest of us it's just basic stuff.

I was willing to try a new perspective on Pollock, but this is just depressing for me. I've spent my life gradually improving my artwork, practicing every day and tackling new challenges to further my skills, and you're asking me to respect a piece that sold for over $1 billion and I could have done in less than 15 seconds, and felt dirty afterward.

To be honest, it's more than a little insulting. I am perfectly aware of the effect used in that image, and I have toyed with it myself, and I have explored complimentary colors thoroughly and continue to look for better ways to implement my knowledge and skill.

But my point, really, is that he's capitalizing on something that has been capitalized on before, and better, and he's done it in such a galling way.

The concept is not foreign to any artist that knows anything about color, artists use this sort of trick all the time, as a supplement to a large variety of other techniques and tricks, all within the same painting. It may have been novel to the person that painted that piece and to you, but to the rest of us it's just basic stuff.
Interesting! Can you provide an example were the afterimage effect is used? Preferably pre-Voice Of Fire.

Interesting! Can you provide an example were the afterimage effect is used? Preferably pre-Voice Of Fire.

Give me a little time and I'll complimentary-color the hell out of you.

Word of warning though, I don't accept complementary colors and afterimages as the same phenomena, though related.

Yes, and I'm guessing without a painting that isolates the after-image effect and nothing else we'll be at an impasse, but it's worth a shot.

Paintings with a chiaroscuro effect going on tend to love this kind of contrast. A couple that I found on wikipedia:

Spoiler :

If you don't see it then I guess there's no helping it. In addition afterimages produced by staring at a certain point of an image for an extended period have been a popular element of optical illusions for centuries, all done better than VoF, so there's that.

Just because there is a lot of pretense about abstract art doesn't mean abstract art itself is nothing but pretense! The reason abstract art breeds pretense is because it is about the subjective experience one has when viewing it not how well it represents something (a much more objective criterion). That experience of course can be influenced by expectation and what others think.

This is not at all unique to abstract art, there are plenty of other subjective fields where this goes on, music, wine, literature, and food all have these same sorts of problems. Music, wine, literature, and food are all obviously good things that enrich our life despite the enormous amount pretense about them. I say the same thing is true about abstract art!

Abstract art is like free form Jazz, pretentious. Fashion is full of pretentious idiots too, but we expect more of art. Frankly excusing the morass of pretention that is the art world these days is inexcusable. Now a days you can do a few good paintings and then coast to the grave on garbage, that's not art that's artless.

No, you should read "stupid pants" as "pants that shouldn't be mandatory".

Please try and shoehorn this into as many posts as possible from now on. Especially where not appropriate.

I don't get that Campbell's soup picture.

Woulda been a better ad if it was a picture of Donovan McNabb stiff arming his mum, whilst in the heisman pose, and carrying a can of soup instead of the ball.

The soup can picture is deliberately so lifeless and talentless - the capitalist consumption it represents is equally talentless, lifeless and disgusting.

The soup can picture is deliberately so lifeless and talentless - the capitalist consumption it represents is equally talentless, lifeless and disgusting.

Well in that case the picture is worse now that I do understand it - elitist :mad:

Advertising executives are artists too you know.

Spoiler :

Ugh! Seeing those pieces of old art makes me so grateful for our modern artists!

Have you ever been to an old house? They're disgusting. A McDonald's, though not the best place to be, is much more refreshing and lively in terms of ambiance.

That's how I feel about art old and new.

Ugh! Seeing those pieces of old art makes me so grateful for our modern artists!

Have you ever been to an old house? They're disgusting. A McDonald's, though not the best place to be, is much more refreshing and lively in terms of ambiance.

That's how I feel about art old and new.
That's the exact opposite of how I view old art and old houses compared to new ones.

Top Bottom