Would you want to know more about Leoreth?

Tilea.

Well, that hardly counts as trolling. Gotta be a new continent in the middle of the Atlantic. And magitech units.

Pinkie Pie(Great Prophet) has been born in Greece.
Greece has completed the Church of Chocolate Rain.
Just noticed you have a profile pic. FMA:B, right?

:confused: The Porsche Tiger? That's Leopon from Girls und Panzer.
Man, the tank and the building behind it made me think of the tank at the place in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood where Greed fought Wrath.

Lets make a RFC mod based on Italy, because why the hell not

A new unique victory: Unite all Italy.

What is your favorite area of history? For example mine is ancient history, and early medieval Europe
Also as a moderator do you have the power to create subforums?
RFC Asia seems like a very complete and good RFC type mod, but it gets lost in the mod mod subforum.
Maybe it should have its own subforum alongside RFCE, SOI, RFCGW, RFCCW, and DOC.

Not sure about favourites honestly. Depends more on how a period is approached.

I can't create subforums, you would need to ask an admin. Is RFCA still in active development?

I dont think RCFA is in active development. Maybe I should just get an admin to pin it to the top of the modmods page. I think it is the only complete mod in that subforum.

I dont think RCFA is in active development. Maybe I should just get an admin to pin it to the top of the modmods page. I think it is the only complete mod in that subforum.
Oh my, I LOVE the way Asian nations play in DOC, especially with Merijn's added civs, playing in that area is just so much fun. If that's anywhere near as good as Asian play in DOC, I've gotta look into it.

RFCA is not really in active development. I still do some minor changes if people notify me. However, just this week I got a PM from baron03 that he wants to make some changes.

Sorry to necro yet another thread, but I found this again and was reading through it and realized that DoC has been going for ~10+ years; I've been playing it for 8 years and that's probably a larger fraction of my age than most people here (though looking back most of my early posting was very cringe and I'd erase everything before 2015 if I had the option), but anyways:

Since the mod has been going on for so long, how has the continuing development of DoC affected your life in the long term? Did you expect development to last this long and still be scaling up to this day? Do you have any other profound (or otherwise) thoughts about keeping a mod going for this long?

Obviously I didn't expect development of this mod to go this long, and I also didn't expect it to take this role as the effective successor to RFC proper. *back in the old days voice* Back in the old days, Rhye was still actively developing and releasing patches for RFC, and people making small self-contained modmods that just tweaked a few things according to their personal preference was very common. I had like a small set of pet issues for how I thought RFC could be better, mostly centered around very minor things like civ colours, and wanting to all have BtS civilisations playable in the mod. I made a couple of posts lobbying for them that were all completely ignored (Rhye's community interaction was... limited), so eventually I decided that it couldn't be that hard to do it myself.

It's important to know that at that time I had just started studying CS, never formally learned to code in school, and the idea that I could effectively modify something as complex as a video game seemed completely impossible to me. I still remember the feeling when I had successfully gotten a civ colour to change in the actual game. I had a very reverent attitude toward the code at that time, never daring to mess too much with basically anything that Rhye had written (not to mention the vanilla mechanics) for fear of breaking something I didn't understand, or causing unintended consequences somewhere. Which is a long way away from my current project or erasing every last trace of Rhye authored code. Also, tooling in the community was so much worse at the time. Setting up a compiler was a huge accomplishment (especially to me at the time). And adding a new civilisation was essentially an arcane process that had to be discovered and then gathered from multiple sources, before I took the time to refactor the code to a point where you could do it in less than an hour once you have the assets together. I remember spending days on getting the Byzantines in. Besides implementing my personal wishlist I also incorporated other smallish modmods that I liked, which kind of made DoC the default RFC + extra stuff mod and I think contributed a lot to its early popularity.

There's been this mutually beneficial relationship between this mod and my academic/professional carreer, where modding would often be a way of putting things I've learned into practice and help me grow my skills beyond the often theoretical context of university or the limited applications of what you're working on professionally, and of course my increasing professional experience fed back into what I am able to accomplish here and what my ambitions are. It definitely built my confidence in my own abilities in the beginning and I still usually put it in my CV in some capacity. There are also elements to this that go beyond programming, managing a very large project you are mostly responsible for yourself, planning and prioritisation, maintaining visibility and communication inside the community. And especially I found it very valuable to have a hobby that has such a hugely creative component. I am literally constantly thinking about what could be improved or what I'd like things to be and the ability to gradually make that a reality is very gratifying, and not something most people really have, especially with the direct feedback of people actually interacting with the thing you are making.

It definitely is still fun. Currently the issue is that I am stuck doing something that I wanted to do for a long time, but that isn't very rewarding in itself because it has very little visible change and is very tedious to do sometimes. I am sometimes frustrated that it takes so long to do and I cannot move on to other things. The list of bug reports piling up is only worrying. But that just motivates me more.

And clearly Picard (recent garbage not accounted for, obviously). But the real answer is Sisko.

necroing again, but did you move to Paris, what happened? and how is your life going in general since covid

I don't live in Paris, I have always coordinated my location with my avatar/title theme. It's just Anime Paris.

Things are going well for me. My job had me working from home even before the pandemic started, so I could basically carry on as usual. Friends and family all stayed safe throughout. I miss traveling though.

oh I see. I guessed you were working from home, so I suspected you actually moved to Paris like a digital nomad thing. And I didn't recognize the anime.

Leoreth, what anime is that on your profile pic?

It's called The Case Study of Vanitas.

I miss traveling though.
Nothing prevents you from traveling though, right? I went to Italy (and the Vatican and San Marino, technically speaking), Austria, Germany, and Luxembourg in the summer of 2020, to Greece, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Bulgaria in the summer of 2021, and I spent last November and December in Portugal (because why go into a lockdown in a cold and dark and grey country when you can be in the sun and socialness of a hostel down south?). I noticed that the lack of social interaction was really taking a toll on me, so, do go!

Top Bottom