Would you want to know more about Leoreth?

Not going to judge, but I am not going on an airplane right now.

It's called The Case Study of Vanitas.

That's why the profile picture was very familiar lol. Season 2 currently running and saw some clips of it.

Not going to judge, but I am not going on an airplane right now.
aren't there test requirements for flights in Germany? I had to use planes ~10 times since covid but I didn't get covid from them, these are just personal anecdotes but planes look safe to me tbh. but the omicron might have changed this idk

Nothing prevents you from traveling though, right? I went to Italy (and the Vatican and San Marino, technically speaking), Austria, Germany, and Luxembourg in the summer of 2020, to Greece, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Bulgaria in the summer of 2021, and I spent last November and December in Portugal (because why go into a lockdown in a cold and dark and grey country when you can be in the sun and socialness of a hostel down south?). I noticed that the lack of social interaction was really taking a toll on me, so, do go!

Damn. What do you do for a living?

Damn. What do you do for a living?
Data stuff. I do a lot of overtime in autumn/winter, which is all converted into holiday time for later use, and so I usually take two months of holiday in the summer (and a week for Christmas and the new year, and perhaps some random days here and there depending on how much overtime I accumulated exactly). And working with data means I only need a laptop to work, hence my trip to Portugal.

As a German, are you proud of the Hanoverian monarchs of the UK? Are most Germans proud of the fact that the UK had a German-born king for almost 50 years? How much about them is taught in German schools? As an Irish-American, I am definitely proud of the Irishmen who became powerful overseas (Patrice de MacMahon, Ricardo Wall, Bernardo O'Higgins)

I don't really like monarchs, especially not the house of Windsor, and I don't really care about national pride in general either.

My general impression is that the British monarchy is fairly popular in Germany because monarchism is inexplicably always popular and there is no local nobility to get excited about. However I don't think it's specifically about the German origins of that royal house, it's generally perceived as British even though most people are aware of that connection. The descendants of the Hanoverian branch of that lineage (titular prince of Hanover) are not very highly regarded due to being pretty much rich white trash, so that probably doesn't help.

Dynastic history wasn't really a focus of my history education. Who is descended from whom isn't really relevant for understanding history, for the most part.

I don't really like monarchs, especially not the house of Windsor, and I don't really care about national pride in general either.
What don't you like about the House of Windsor?
Personally my favorite British dynasty is the Stuarts. The Jacobites have the best music, for sure.

What don't you like about the House of Windsor?
Being the reigning house of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

As an Irish-American
This is the great cultural clash you are going to run into when talking with people not from the USA (and maybe Canada? I wouldn't know); this concept doesn't exist anywhere else.

I actually kept thinking about this. Why did I even have to explain hatred of the British royal family to someone of Irish identity.

I blame 20th century "American whiteness", wherein immigrants from places outside what was then the "American Canon" were shunned as being not part of "white America", the alienation resulting in many finding themselves relating more to the identity they were ostracized for than their identity as "Americans", resulting in distinct hybrid ethnicities, most notably Italian-Americans, Chinese-Americans, Jewish-Americans, Irish-Americans, and African-Americans, some of which have since been adopted into "American whiteness", while others still exist as an "other". Needless to say, over time, alienated from both their American and ethnic heritage, their cultures began to undergo conceptual drifts, some of which may at times seem odd, such as Irish-Americans taking pride in being able to claim continuity from their culture to a culture that held power within a notable monarchy, and thanks to cultural inertia, they may eventually forget why their cultures adopted these sources of pride in the first place, allowing for the co-option of these claims by the very "American whiteness" that birthed them. For example, Italian-Americans taking pride in Columbus being Italian, once a claim of "the USA wouldn't even exist without us, so why are we barred from being accepted as your fellow Americans" that has since been adopted by "American whiteness" as a form of oppression against Native Americans.

TL;DR It's caused by the USA being less of a melting pot and more of a cultural soup, where some cultures are allowed to melt into the broth, but others are forced to remain separate for extended periods of time, often absorbing some elements of the broth of "white America" while some of their cultural flavour gets appropriated by that very broth that denies it, eventually, some may finally melt into it, though with the status quo as it is, only insofar as their being allowed to melt serves the broth.

Last edited:
I’d like to know how Leoreth feels about luftballoons.

This is the great cultural clash you are going to run into when talking with people not from the USA (and maybe Canada? I wouldn't know); this concept doesn't exist anywhere else.
I am a citizen of both countries.
I actually kept thinking about this. Why did I even have to explain hatred of the British royal family to someone of Irish identity.
The British royals treated us much better than the British parliament did. King James VII & II was responsible for the first Irish parliament that was had a majority of indigenous Irish Catholics (instead of British Protestant settlers) in almost a century. Parliament replaced him with William of Orange and the Protestant Ascendancy that stripped us of political, economic and human rights for over a century. King George V threatened to add more peers to the House of Lords to get Irish Home Rule through. Queen Elizabeth II did a lot of good for Anglo-Irish relations when she visited. Bertrand Russell's grandfather (PM of the UK at the time) was far more responsible for the Great Famine than Queen Victoria was.
I also don't blame modern Britons for what their ancestors did to mine. I don't believe in hereditary guilt.

then why do you believe in hereditary right to power and privilege

Because the monarchy is a huge part of British culture/tradition
And hating it is a huge part of Irish culture/tradition
they bring in more money than they cost
No they don't.

Assets owned by the French monarchy still bring in revenue to France long after they lost their thrones and necks.
they don't have any real political power anymore
Yes they do.
and most Britons wish to keep the monarchy. If a majority of Britons wanted to scrap the monarchy, I would be fine with that.
Do you not have your own opinion on any subject that differs from the majority?

And hating it is a huge part of Irish culture/tradition
The hatred should be directed at the British parliament, though. It was the British parliament that replaced King James VII & II (who took major steps to bring Irish Catholics much closer to equality) with William of Orange (who ushered in generations of Protestant Ascendancy that turned the Irish into third-class citizens in our own homeland). It was Oliver Cromwell who committed a genocide on us, not the Stuart Kings on either side of his reign of terror. King George V was far more supportive of Irish Home Rule and Independence than the House of Lords was.
No they don't.

Assets owned by the French monarchy still bring in revenue to France long after they lost their thrones and necks.
Events like the Queen's Jubilee, the Coronation, those all bring in huge amounts of tourism money.
Yes they do.
The monarchy has de jure powers that it is not allowed to exercise de facto. The abdication of Edward VIII showed that it was Parliament, not the Monarch, that gets to call the shots.
Do you not have your own opinion on any subject that differs from the majority?
I have many, but I believe that nations should get to chose the form of government they want. The British people have chosen to maintain a constitutional monarchy. I don't support imposing a monarchy on Ireland or the USA, since neither of those countries wants a monarchy. You would know better than me, but I suspect that most in Germany do not want the Hohenzollerns back.

I also just feel that since the monarchy is a big part of Britain's cultural identity (the anthem being "God Save the King/Queen", being called the "United Kingdom", etc...) that since it's a big part of their cultural identity and most Britons wish to keep it, it should stay.

The first human recipient of a Neuralink brain implant has shared new details on his recovery and experience of living with the experimental assistive tech, which has allowed him a greater level of freedom and autonomy, including the ability to pull an all-nighter playing Sid Meier's Civilization 6. How does it make you feel, I wonder?

It makes me sick and tired of still encountering Musk friendly media puff pieces

Top Bottom