WTP 4.0.2 Published - Community Feedback

EDIT: Cant find where are the limitations of XP units get from combat? what XML have that? tks

The amount if XP granted when defeating something is set by iXPValueAttack in Assets\XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml.

For animals you will also have to change ANIMAL_MAX_XP_VALUE in Assets\XML\GlobalDefinesAlt.xml if you want to be able to get XP after reaching XP of 2.

If Kraken has strength 2 then that has to be a bug surely?

I think it is understood that ships are not necessarily realistic in all cases, but these decisions have been made for gameplay reasons. For example, in the last version most ships were redundant compared to galleons. Now there is reasons for other ships to exist, which is a step forward in gameplay terms.

If Kraken has strength 2 then that has to be a bug surely?

I think it is understood that ships are not necessarily realistic in all cases, but these decisions have been made for gameplay reasons. For example, in the last version most ships were redundant compared to galleons. Now there is reasons for other ships to exist, which is a step forward in gameplay terms.
yes thats what i have done with my ships. Also changing the promotion of naval trade to increase cargo while removing firepower makes all transport ships usefull. Change withhdraw chance, higger (30%) for small ships and lower (5%) for large bulk ships makes all viable. Change prices of ships to make a big difference from small to large, and remove the idiot restriction of making treasures only fit in galleons... all naval ships carry all cargo back in the day of sailing ages!

Tks Codiac!!!

Personally, I don't have a problem with the galleons only moving treasure. I understand why it has been introduced, but I also understand why you would want to change it. Whatever works for you.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the galleons only moving treasure. I understand why it has been introduced, but I also understand why you would want to change it. Whatever works for you.
Yes, and any other player tune it to their views. thats the beauty of modding single player games. Everyone wins!

Hi Guys,
Just registered on this forum to congratulate you all, and give thanks for the time and effort you put creating this mod.
It is a nice improvement from 3.0, although not as stable (random crashes occur once in a while).
Thanks very much 👍

Hi all.

I have been following you for some time..

Last week I stumbled accross this mod again, in it´s version 4.0.2.

My feedback is clear: You have created a masterpiece!

Thanks a lot for this beautiful piece of art.

although not as stable
Actually internal version (to be WTP 4.1) is very stable.
It is just not yet public.

------------------

Guys, it is normal that every new release is a bit more instable after a big feature release ... and WTP 4.0 was extremely big.
Then all the players play, people report bugs, modders fix bugs and it gets stable again ... until the next feature release.

It is just that magically people seem to forget which bugs we had directly after publishing WTP 2.8 or WTP 3.0 ...
But you cannot compare a situation fresh after release (before bugfixes) with a release that is already mature (having had bugfixes) ...

Is software development really that hard to understand ? :)
Major Feature Release --> You will have bugs ---> Bugs get reported and fixed --> Bugfix Releases get published --> It gets stable again --> Next Major Release ...

So if you really do not want to risk playing with bugs, then wait half a year after the major release until the bugs were fixed ...
That is e.g. the reason I personally also buy most of the major titles only about 2 years after release ... because then there are already patches and DLCs.

-------------------

So please, I am really a bit tired of hearing with every new release that it is more buggy than the previous.
That comparison is simply nonsense ... because it depends on the software lifecycle of the release (young release vs mature release).

Actually in WTP 4.0 we had fixed massive amounts of bugs that were reported over the years in WTP 3.0.
WTP 4.0.x is simply still a young release but WTP 4.1 (3 months later) will / should have made it much more mature already.

---------------------

So please relax a bit - it is unnecessary to repeat the obvious that a young feature release does have a few bugs ... :thumbsup:
Because basically community is complaining that we are actually doing software development and creating new content ...

It is like shouting at a cook when he brings you a freshly cooked soup out of the kitchen:
"It is HOT ! ... That old soup over there that is 15 minutes old is not as hot !"

--------------------

Maybe try to understand a bit how software development actually works. :)
In a young major release will always have more bugs than many months later in the bugfix releases ...

And please nobody tell me there were no bugs in WTP 3.0.1 ... I know how often people complained about CTD.
Or why did people otherwise always ask for bugfix DLLs from internal development for WTP 4.0 ? ;)

--------------------

Have some patience and wait until WTP 4.1. :thumbsup:
Or get the internal development builds - like half of community meanwhile does anyways ...

Being frustrated at us modders that a young major release is not as mature as an old bugfix release is a bit irrational.
That is the nature of software development and the reason why most non-hardcore-fans also wait for a few months before they buy a game.

Last edited:

------------------

Guys, it is normal that every new release is a bit more instable after a big feature release ... and WTP 4.0 was extremely big.
Then all the players play, people report bugs, modders fix bugs and it gets stable again ... until the next feature release.

It is just that magically people seem to forget which bugs we had directly after publishing WTP 2.8 or WTP 3.0 ...
But you cannot compare a situation fresh after release (before bugfixes) with a release that is already mature (having had bugfixes) ...

Major Feature Release --> You will have bugs ---> Bugs get reported and fixed --> Bugfix Releases get published --> It gets stable again --> Next Major Release ...

So if you really do not want to risk playing with bugs, then wait half a year after the major release until the bugs were fixed ...
That is e.g. the reason I personally also buy most of the major titles only about 2 years after release ... because then there are already patches and DLCs.

-------------------

So please, I am really a bit tired of hearing with every new release that it is more buggy than the previous.
That comparison is simply nonsense ... because it depends on the software lifecycle of the release (young release vs mature release).

Actually in WTP 4.0 we had fixed massive amounts of bugs that were reported over the years in WTP 3.0.
WTP 4.0.x is simply still a young release but WTP 4.1 (3 months later) will / should have made it much more mature already.

---------------------

So please relax a bit - it is unnecessary to repeat the obvious that a young feature release does have a few bugs ... :thumbsup:
Because basically community is complaining that we are actually doing software development and creating new content ...

It is like shouting at a cook when he brings you a freshly cooked soup out of the kitchen:
"It is HOT ! ... That old soup over there that is 15 minutes old is not as hot !"

--------------------

In a young major release will always have more bugs than many months later in the bugfix releases ...

And please nobody tell me there were no bugs in WTP 3.0.1 ... I know how often people complained about CTD.
Or why did people otherwise always ask for bugfix DLLs from internal development for WTP 4.0 ? ;)

--------------------

Or get the internal development builds - like half of community meanwhile does anyways ...

Being frustrated at us modders that a young major release is not as mature as an old bugfix release is a bit irrational.
That is the nature of software development and the reason why most non-hardcore-fans also wait for a few months before they buy a game.
Thats why developers should call those bugged versions as BETA!!! so players test the game and report bugs!

Im still digesting all the new professions added, and my first impressions is that its to much micromanagement, Glad you can pay to finish all building if lack materials!

Keep up the work! regards

Thats why developers should call those bugged versions as BETA!!!
Calling a public release a "beta" only makes sense if there is something like a "final release" planned - which is not how we see this project. ;)
Also let us please not overexagerate with "bugged versions" like the mod was not playable at release ...

The concept of betas may apply to commercial products, but seriously what is a beta supposed to be in a mod project where development is ongoing since 15 years ?
Can we please stop discussions in "consumer attitude" again before we get all the modders pissed and annoyed again ? :thumbsup:

---------------------

Should we call every major release "beta"?
And when do we stop calling it "beta" - in 10 years ... in 15 years ... or when ?

We simply still develop new content with every major release.
And when you do you may simply have bugs in it.

That is the nature of modding ... as it is just continous development ... for which we sometimes have releases so people can play without compiling a development branch themselves ...
Continously new stuff is being added and continously existing stuff is being improved or fixed ... until at some point modders run out of motivation ...

---------------------

Also as @Nightinggale said:

We had internally alpha and beta phases for a very long time ... during which however work continued of course.
But after 2 years we were and also still are simply a bit wasted ... and loyal fans were really asking for the release.

Half of community was already playing internal development branches since months ...
And feedback by our supporters and testers was really great ... and in fact it still is.

-----------------------

Still a public release of a spare time project still in development will never be bug free ... guys, we are NOT payed full time developers ... so could community stop acting like that was the case?
Also each version of the mod has until now always just been one step to get closer to the "vision" of what this mod could still become. This is not the "final version" of the mod.

Last edited:

------------------

-------------------

---------------------

--------------------

--------------------

Silence wont help this awesome mod get better! its just opinions, nothing personal.

Im still waiting for some help where can i confirme where the promotions for naval trade ships are choosen, since my naval trade units can only pick 5 promotions. maybe i changed any xml but cand figure out wich one. thanks.

Regards

Hey guys ... Thank you thank you than you I still play RaR all the time and was so excited when I saw on the steam forms this mod ... BUT ... the instructions for how to install the mod and where to install the mod don't seem to be there for a steam version ... please advise?

Calling a public release a "beta" only makes sense if there is something like a "final release" planned - which is not how we see this project. ;)
Also let us please not overexagerate with "bugged versions" like the mod was not playable at release ...

The concept of betas may apply to commercial products, but seriously what is a beta supposed to be in a mod project where development is ongoing since 15 years ?
Can we please stop discussions in "consumer attitude" again before we get all the modders pissed and annoyed again ? :thumbsup:

---------------------

Should we call every major release "beta"?
And when do we stop calling it "beta" - in 10 years ... in 15 years ... or when ?

We simply still develop new content with every major release.
And when you do you may simply have bugs in it.

That is the nature of modding ... as it is just continous development ... for which we sometimes have releases so people can play without compiling a development branch themselves ...
Continously new stuff is being added and continously existing stuff is being improved or fixed ... until at some point modders run out of motivation ...
What distincts a Beta from an Alpha, is that a Beta is feature complete but not bugfixed (completly), while an Alpha is open for adding features and not bugfixed at all...(bc its in its development phase)
Atleast thats my understanding of these terms, so calling it Beta wouldnt be right too :D
So technically the releases are more alphas in this terms, or Betas for a clearly given feature content (which is) but then a Beta is not released in normal circumstances, what you didnt do either (because you had it in fact tested before release)

So its a classic 0day-patch thingy, as you said :)

I also had one crash in >40 hrs 4.0.2 so it hardly matters for me....
And it is way better then before, alone the performance gain through the implemented dlls, very nice!!!

And it is way better then before, alone the performance gain through the implemented dlls, very nice!!!
There is no single point which grants the performance boost. It's the sum of many unrelated changes. Yes using tbb.dll to enable more CPU cores is indeed a significant boost. However the old fashioned approach to boosting performance is rewriting code to do the same as the old code, but using fewer CPU instructions. Since we have done both, it's not really possible to tell how much of the performance boost comes from each approach to improve performance. Luckily it really doesn't matter because what matters is the perceived performance.

We still have a bunch of ideas on how to improve performance further, but for the time being the main focus is fixing known bugs and make a new release. Performance boosting is nice, but it is a luxury, which must have lower priority than fixing known ways to crash the game. Yeah the main reason we aren't releasing right now is because there is a known crash, which needs fixing first.

After several years of R&R I started to play WTP 4.0.2. and here are some of my humble comments:
REF is greatly reduced(cca 30 line infantry and 13 MOW on hardest level) and does not present any kind of challenge.It does not get any bigger with my advancement?
So many new resources/goods/professions are kind of confusing, as it is hard to get an overview on city screen and colonipedia.Personally I think it is a bit too much, as it only increases micromanagement, but some of them(coal, powder) really makes sense.
FF with 25% higher prices is overpowered.
With timetable changed(years instead of QR) it is hard to tell how much time I have to declare independence.I think I saw on forum it should be months instead of years, but in my case that is not so.

Besides that WTP is really nice mod.
And speed improvement is visible.

Question on one of my social media posts about WTP..

1687058011527.png

Question on one of my social media posts about WTP..

View attachment 665073
Currently just +1 Health as City Location.
(So it is a bit better suited to settle on such a Plot.)

--------------

It was also implemented as "enabler" to potentially do more with it in the future.
I had more ideas for it, but none of them were high on the priority list.

e.g. the "Growth Mechanic Overhaul" could be influenced by it.
(Meaning Fresh water would positively affect growth.)

Quick question - am I just missing it as a tiny picture on some of the terrain, or is Yerba the scarcest resource in the game for some reason? I can never find it anywhere, even near local villages who offer expert yerba planters.

Top Bottom