WW2-Global

Serutan said:
I started a 2.0 "what if" game as Germany. What I did was make Germany "Alliance 3" by itself (making the Soviets unaligned), but with the same locked wars as the rest of the Axis. Using Romanian and Hungarian infantry, I built a fence around Italy, to keep their units out of my territory until I was ready to deal with them. I took out Denmark and the Low Countries, but stopped after capturing Paris. In the East, I took out Poland, then
Yugoslavia. On the AI turn after I captured Belgrade, the Russians demanded 60 gold. I refused, and they declared war. I spent most of 1940 plowing my way through the SU,
signing peace after conquering everyting up to a N/S line running through Irkutsk. I then turned my attention south,
and took out Persia, then the Arabian Peninsula and British India.

Serutan,

An interesting idea.

Using house rules it should be possible to make many special versions
of this scenario.

Rocoteh

Aloha,

Hi Rocoteh, seems like you have to work overtime to answer all these posts. :)

I was wondering, how to best preserve the trade abilities of certain cities. In one of my last games the trade with Marseille was still intact after taking the city and in my last the trade link was off despite displaying the harbour symbol (and having a Narvik with a second port).

So the best shot would be to save prior to the assault and retry if trade is off. What building is responsible for these trade-hubs, wonders, special structures?

Anyhow thanks for all the time you put into this!!! :goodjob:

Drushba

One of the problems I find with German AI is that they conscript infantry from about 5 cities every turn. Currently I am playing as Russia and ever since the beginning, Freiburg has had a population of 1 along with many other cities in that area. If you make a AI version it would be nice to see a German Infantry wonder.

Baldurslayer said:
Aloha,

Hi Rocoteh, seems like you have to work overtime to answer all these posts. :)

I was wondering, how to best preserve the trade abilities of certain cities. In one of my last games the trade with Marseille was still intact after taking the city and in my last the trade link was off despite displaying the harbour symbol (and having a Narvik with a second port).

So the best shot would be to save prior to the assault and retry if trade is off. What building is responsible for these trade-hubs, wonders, special structures?

Anyhow thanks for all the time you put into this!!! :goodjob:

Drushba

Drushba,

Thank you.

The trade-ability is linked to the wonder.
In most cases the wonder should not be destroyed when you occupy
the city.
However as you say it may be a good idea to save prior to attacking.

Rocoteh

Hubschrauber said:
One of the problems I find with German AI is that they conscript infantry from about 5 cities every turn. Currently I am playing as Russia and ever since the beginning, Freiburg has had a population of 1 along with many other cities in that area. If you make a AI version it would be nice to see a German Infantry wonder.

Hubschrauber,

I will consider that.

Its also possible that I remove conscription in the next regular version.

Rocoteh

Rocoteh, I found also some errors you might have overlooked in my reports:
1. The air trade wonders in Australia and North America doesn´t work any more, when they were taken!
2. The He 177 has no lethal sea bombardment.
3. I posted something about the range of planes. What do you think about it?
4. Strategic bombers should have also lethal land bombardment.
5. We should also think about new units. I know at least Katyusha, Nebelwerfer, Wespe, Maus, Dora rail gun, perhaps also Do 335, Ar 234, Ju 290, FW 200 Condor, Fokker D XXI and some more.
6. I think we also should devide the tanks and give some tanks a movement of 3, and all other stay at two. Now a Pz II is as fast as a Königstiger...
7. Delete the ability to build railroads from the workers or make them faster to build. Otherwise it is impossible to automate them. Or let only the combat engineers build them.

That's all I know at the moment.

Adler

I was also thinking about the King Tiger's movement for awhile. I thought reducing it to 1, but than doesn't make sense in some ways either. Making some tanks with movement of 3 and than having the King Tiger stay at 2 would make alot more sense. But that might complicate other things so it's up to you Rocoteh!

Adler: I think if there are new units added they shouldn't be all German. Also, I to think the US marines have a very high attack value. I would reduce it to 19 and remove the Blitz characteristic.

The Panzer II has an attack of 18 which I think should be reduced to 16, it just seems too high.

Welcome back Rocoteh!:D

Hi,
on creating new units,i'd would say yous should first concentrte on units for japan,germany,russia,usa and britain because this are the nations which are chose mostly and u see units of those nations more than units of small nations.I have some suggestions,i read of these 2:h-44 battleships for germany(improved hindenburg),and superyamato for japan, also modernited iowa would be worth to think about,also u should create units for the first techs,this would make this szenario more interesting:goodjob:

Aloha,

Morphling: h-44 battleships for germany
Those monsters were too big, there was no German port that could take them in.

Hubschrauber: Making some tanks with movement of 3 and than having the King Tiger stay at 2 would make alot more sense.
I think one of the US light tanks does already have a movement of three and that makes a huge difference since it can traverse forests and hills and still attack or move into an adjacent field. I have lost some radar towers and aircraft in airfields that way because I did not adjust my tactics accordingly.

Adler17: 1. The air trade wonders in Australia and North America doesn’t work any more, when they were taken!
I took a vanilla 2.2 and made Washington DC German through the editor. Once the game started the wonder was gone in DC thus no trade.

Adler17: 4. Strategic bombers should have also lethal land bombardment.
I think that was changed in 2.2

Some other comments:
What about some late war air-defence units? The Americans had their special AAA ammunition and the Germans had their AA-Rockets like the Wasserfall. This unit could be an upgraded regular AAA-unit that can be build by any nation if they reach a 1945 tech or linked to uranium.

:rolleyes: I'd love to see some French Foreign Legion units to give the French some flavour.

The Italians could use some defensive units like the Semovente (75mm and 105mm). Since the Semovente build with the Stug III in mind it could have similar stats.

The soviet BT series were very fast tanks, this should be considered with soviet tank units.

:mischief: Since I am fond of the advantages of standardisation I loved the chance to lead some E-series units into battle but that would be overkill :cry: since the King Tigers are already the most powerful units already.

Drushba

Originally Posted by Baldurslayer
I'd love to see some French Foreign Legion units to give the French some flavour.

I agree. Although aren't they more circa WWI?

Aloha,

Lord Malbeth: I agree. Although aren't they [French Foreign Legion] more circa WWI?
I am pretty certain the legion was fighting the Germans in Norway creating the awkward situation that Germans/Austrians were fighting German/Austrians since Germans made up a big chunk of the Legion prior to WW2.

Drushba

@ Hubschrauber: Sure not only German units should be added. As I said, they should have Katyusha and Fokker XXI also added. That were the units I just remembered. What units should be added should be discussed much more. My post was only a propose.

Adler

Adler17 said:
Rocoteh, I found also some errors you might have overlooked in my reports:
1. The air trade wonders in Australia and North America doesn´t work any more, when they were taken!
2. The He 177 has no lethal sea bombardment.
3. I posted something about the range of planes. What do you think about it?
4. Strategic bombers should have also lethal land bombardment.
5. We should also think about new units. I know at least Katyusha, Nebelwerfer, Wespe, Maus, Dora rail gun, perhaps also Do 335, Ar 234, Ju 290, FW 200 Condor, Fokker D XXI and some more.
6. I think we also should devide the tanks and give some tanks a movement of 3, and all other stay at two. Now a Pz II is as fast as a Königstiger...
7. Delete the ability to build railroads from the workers or make them faster to build. Otherwise it is impossible to automate them. Or let only the combat engineers build them.

That's all I know at the moment.

Adler

Adler,

1. OK I will check the problem.

2. Will be changed in version 2.3.

3. Thank you for posting the stats. They look very interesting.
I will have them in mind for the next version.

4. I will consider it.

5. Agree. New units should make the scenario more interesting.

6. I see a problem here. Armored units with move 3 will give the
human player a strong edge against AI. AI will be the great loser with
such a system.
Also: On this scale speed of the tanks become less important.
I mean for example, Riga fell on July 1 1941, just 9 days after the
launching of Barbarossa. This was due the fact that Blitzkrieg still
worked in the summer of 1941. The speed of the tanks was less important.
For sure Riga could have been captured within 9 days even with slow
King Tigers.

7. I will think over the current railroad-system again since there seems
to be problems with it.
Even in CIV 4 Firaxis did not introduce a system where a CIV can
move a certain number of units each turn.
Its hard to see why they abstained!

Rocoteh

Hubschrauber said:
I was also thinking about the King Tiger's movement for awhile. I thought reducing it to 1, but than doesn't make sense in some ways either. Making some tanks with movement of 3 and than having the King Tiger stay at 2 would make alot more sense. But that might complicate other things so it's up to you Rocoteh!

Adler: I think if there are new units added they shouldn't be all German. Also, I to think the US marines have a very high attack value. I would reduce it to 19 and remove the Blitz characteristic.

The Panzer II has an attack of 18 which I think should be reduced to 16, it just seems too high.

Welcome back Rocoteh!:D

Hubschrauber,

Thank you.

On the King Tiger:

Discussed in the previous post.

On US Marines:

These divisions were huge formations. Also they were elite infantry.

On Panzer II:

Yes given it was a tactical simulation.
However here the unit represent a whole Panzer division and with
regard to that I think the current stats are relevant.

Rocoteh

Morphling said:
Hi,
on creating new units,i'd would say yous should first concentrte on units for japan,germany,russia,usa and britain because this are the nations which are chose mostly and u see units of those nations more than units of small nations.I have some suggestions,i read of these 2:h-44 battleships for germany(improved hindenburg),and superyamato for japan, also modernited iowa would be worth to think about,also u should create units for the first techs,this would make this szenario more interesting:goodjob:

Morphling,

Notes have been taken.

You are right: The first techs should have some more units.

Rocoteh

Baldurslayer said:
Aloha,
Some other comments:
What about some late war air-defence units? The Americans had their special AAA ammunition and the Germans had their AA-Rockets like the Wasserfall. This unit could be an upgraded regular AAA-unit that can be build by any nation if they reach a 1945 tech or linked to uranium.

:rolleyes: I'd love to see some French Foreign Legion units to give the French some flavour.

The Italians could use some defensive units like the Semovente (75mm and 105mm). Since the Semovente build with the Stug III in mind it could have similar stats.

The soviet BT series were very fast tanks, this should be considered with soviet tank units.

Drushba

Drushba

Late war air-defence units:

Yes I think its a good idea. US had an incredible large number of
AA-units witin their pool-system.

French Foreign Legion:

Yes this unit will probably be included in 2.3. Should add flavour.

Semovente and Soviet BT:

Possible with the graphic update.

Rocoteh

Aloha,

I think if there is an expansion of units it should primarily be done with France and Italy.

France:
Some lend lease Spitfire MK V, slightly later than the UK
The “LeO-451” as a French JU-88 counterpart
Another tank unit, SOMUA or others for a decent offensive punch.
Oh and the Legion of course ;)

Italy:
As already mentioned the Semovente Assault gun or tank hunter
Macchi MC-202 in 1941
Macchi MC-205 in 1943

Drushba

Baldurslayer said:
Aloha,

I think if there is an expansion of units it should primarily be done with France and Italy.

France:
Some lend lease Spitfire MK V, slightly later than the UK
The “LeO-451” as a French JU-88 counterpart
Another tank unit, SOMUA or others for a decent offensive punch.
Oh and the Legion of course ;)

Italy:
As already mentioned the Semovente Assault gun or tank hunter
Macchi MC-202 in 1941
Macchi MC-205 in 1943

Drushba

Drushba,

Yes, France and Italy should have a good part of the new units.

When its time to make the graphic update I will check which units
that are free to use for people outside the SOE-project.

Its interesting to note that there were no playtest-reports on France the
first months after the release of WW2-Global.
Now its rather popular to play.

Rocoteh

Baldurslayer said:
Aloha,

Lord Malbeth: I agree. Although aren't they [French Foreign Legion] more circa WWI?
I am pretty certain the legion was fighting the Germans in Norway creating the awkward situation that Germans/Austrians were fighting German/Austrians since Germans made up a big chunk of the Legion prior to WW2.

Drushba

Oh! OK! Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Have not had as much time as I would like to play lately. Have been getting in as much as I could, but Japan takes a long time every turn; so many fronts! Plus lots of patrols needed at sea.

Well, have managed to take the two coastal Chinese cities,and the first 2 cities of C.China as well. The axis are at war with the soviets! Very interesting how it happened too; Sweden declared war on the soviets around week 1, and right after that, in the same turn soviets declared war on the Finns! ....which dragged everyone in, of course. Germany appears to be holding on for now. Their Infantry and Flak 88 seem to still be increasing, but the PzIIIe are fluctuating. I guess this happened so early that the Soviets don't have T34s yet, thankfully. I have done what I could; taken Vladivostok and Amgu, and sank their Pacific sub squadrons. I need for Germany not to be crippled though, I'm going to try and get peace as soon as possible. Since France still has 3 cities on the mainland Germany should avoid a two-front war. I'm a bit unhappy that Germany still hasn't attacked Denmark yet. I'd declare on them myself but I don't even have contact with them. :p

Being at war with soviets just cuts all my resouces on the mainland off, and vice-versa; what a pain! I'm still building up the infrastructure though. The allied navies have been attacking with abandon, but it seems to have quieted down some. Lots of ships sunk on all sides. Yamato and Musashi are in the battle now. I've pulled back my navy to guard the home Islands/mainland, with a major group working on the Soviets and one down at Hong Kong. The UK has had as many as TWENTY! :eek: Infantry in that bloody city, the siege just goes on and on. The SNLF are as good as advertised, but progress is slow.

Rocoteh, some suggestions:
Communist China needs some food bonus tiles. As it is, they just starve down to 1 and stay there. I'm sure that was not your intent, but when you went to the bigger map they just got crippled.

Considering what the U.S. marines have to face later in the game, as well as their composition and elite status as you mentioned, I don't think they need to be changed. Not up OR down.

I can understand why my China cities start out w/o any improvements, but weren't the Japanese in Manchuria for some time before this scenario begins? Korea as well, I think both those areas should have some improvements at the start, not necessarily all of them mind you.

I have actually come to like the Nagara class light cruisers Japan starts with, it would be nice to be able to build more of them. not sure why you had it set so you can't do it now.

About Adler's suggestions: Dora I think is useless, there just would not be enough of them to justify making a unit for that. Katyusha and nebelwerfers I already thought we had, aren't they the rocket artillery unit?

Top Bottom