Yahoo chess

Ur Mum

Warlord
i am up for a challange.

i am registered on yahoo games as "longbladeuk"

reply here if interested and we can arrange a time.

:cool:

If you are talking about more than 10 minute time controls I'm definately interested. I haven't had much luck finding people online interested in anything but their 1, 3 and 5 minute games. That to me is not chess, that is rapid mouse control skills.

the only time limit i use is a 10 min per move.

That's a very unusual time control. For a normal game of 40 moves you may use 10 min x 40 = 6+ hours each...

Seems to me 3 hours per game would be a much better time control. Not only is it shorter but also you may use the time where you really need to.

Unless you count on people not using all of their time in which case we're back to it beeing a badly chosen time control.

Or are there merits to it that I'm missing?

i am sorry. what i meant was a max of 10 min per move. it is what a most people on yahoo use.

Yes, I understood you the first time. And I still think it's a bad time control. I prefer to be able to decide for myself where to put the bulk of my time to use...

Let me put it like this: Would you be annoyed if you played someone that used 9 minutes and 55 seconds on each of their moves every move? Even if the move was forced or obvious?

yeah but after you play so many games of chess over the span of years there really isnt any need for a 3 hour game.

Then it makes no sense to me that you play a timecontrol that can easily make the game last that long. Let's say you use only 3 minutes per move and the game lasts for a moderate 30 moves. That's 3x30=90 minutes per side and 3 hours for the game.

I don't know how many games you have played or for how many years you have played. Personally I have played for 20 years and I do have a need for 3 hour games. Perhaps it's because I've played almost nothing but 5 and 10 minute games during those years. Now I've finally begun to play rated games and I find it to be fun. But it's a nightmare to find people willing to practice with anything over 10 minutes/game.

Although 10 minutes/move would be somewhat close to a longer game, I just don't see the point in not being able to decide for myself where to put the bulk of my time to use. But if it works for you, have fun with it.

I've played chess at yahoo. If you start a no time limit game then you're just taking that chance that someone could be an ass and take 9 minutes and 55 seconds per move. But if they take over 10 minutes you can force a resignation. I've had someone do that to me so now I almost only play timed games.

It would be interesting to try a lightning game by agreeing to be online at an agreed time and have the game completed whoever first passes the total time of 10 minutes (or whatever is agreed) losing just like a face-to-face match with a chess clock.

Top Bottom