Your Beaker is Overflowing

jarhead_leif

Civ2ToT Modder
Is there an overflow in science, and does it get added to your next research or it'd be best to put the slider to minimum for extra gold income?

For example your science is running +40:science: per turn and a certain tech needs 100 to fill.
turn1
40/100 100%:science: +0:gold:
turn2
80/100 100%:science: +0:gold:
turn3??
100/100 +2 overflow 100%:science: +0:gold: or
100/100 50%:science: +20:gold:

What is better?:confused:

Is there an overflow in science, and does it get added to your next research or it'd be best to put the slider to minimum for extra gold income?

For example your science is running +40:science: per turn and a certain tech needs 100 to fill.
turn1
40/100 100%:science: +0:gold:
turn2
80/100 100%:science: +0:gold:
turn3??
100/100 +2 overflow 100%:science: +0:gold: or
100/100 50%:science: +20:gold:

What is better?:confused:

:crazyeye: Some got bad memories of CivIII.
I clearly remembered how CivIII was a terrible micro monster where changing tech commitment makes losing all beakers on the previous, no OF, minimum of 4 turns and so on. :mad:

In CIV4, Overflowing exists on all forms.
Indeed, there is no better slider. But when it comes to modifiers (like libraries, pre-requisite techs enabled, civics, etc.), better to get to 100 % as many times as possible. With modifiers, nearer to 100%, bigger the lion's share of free beakers.

That is why people here talked about binary research (0% 100% science slider).

While we are on a research topic how does running research in your cities work? Good idea in spots, bad idea? Does the hammers diverter for research get the advantage of the modifers in the city?

While we are on a research topic how does running research in your cities work? Good idea in spots, bad idea? Does the hammers diverter for research get the advantage of the modifers in the city?

Building research will give you production modifiers like +50% for capital when running bureaucracy or +25% for having a forge. It will not give you sci modifiers like +25% from library etc. though.

Uhm, another question.

Which is better, building :science: or :gold:(+higher tech slider)?(I prefer building wealth.)
Is building :science: somehow your least priority, too?
What is good in building :science: besides pre-currency?

Chances are, by the time you can build sci/wealth you have at least one library up and no markets yet. Since you want the +25% to work on all of the 100% sci, building wealth is usually better.

Of course Alphabet, which allows you to build sci might be teched before you can build wealth (often the case for me on slower game speeds at least).
Also, if you have a surplus of gold already (at 100% slider) because you got a shrine/settled an early great merchant or great prophet/building wealth in some cities then building sci is the only option to up your research any further.

Which is better, building :science: or :gold:(+higher tech slider)?(I prefer building wealth.)

Build some military units instead and go and make someone's life miserable.

More seriously... we'll assume you're not already at 100% or 0% science because you need all the gold you can get / have a load of gold and want all the science you can get. If those circumstances do apply, the answer is obvious.

If not, then you want to build the one which is least efficiently constructed overall by city commerce. What do I mean? Libraries everywhere? Build Wealth, and get your beakers from the slider. Markets and Banks everywhere? Build Research, and get your gold from the slider.

Well, in my current attempt to beat immortal I was running research a bit to help me get along the line of: alphabet-archery (ran research here)-bulb math-construction=war elephants and cats to take out the Bzyantines who are expanding everywhere but lack both horses and ivory.

Justinian has 7 cities to my 5 but is falling behind in tech. He declared against a civ behind me, has moved stacks there and razed a city. Poor strategy. I might actually win one of these games if I can take him out. So running research in a city would be in my mind just for a spot like this.

I lost an immortal game wherein I got behind in tech and ran research in my cities in a vain attempt to catch up. Never did and was creamed by huge AI stacks late.

Its the little tips here that make a big difference in the learning curve.

Top Bottom