Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Impi

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Bowman

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Hadesspirit

Prince
Which one is your favourite unit in Civ 4?
Please explain your reason to choose.
Poll coming..Then you can vote.

War Chariot.

Only one tech away from the start. Strong and fast all-around unit, great for visiting your neighbours and equally good as barb repellent.

Samurai are one of my favorites. Unfortunately, I've tried and tried and still cannot manage to play an enjoyable game as Japan. Too many times my economy flounders (especially in arid starts); other games I'm so paranoid about my economy going under that I overemphasize it and end up losing good production for war. :(

But the samurai is still an awesome UU. Very good bonus on a very cool replacement to an already useful unit.

I use HC alot, and I love the Quecha early game so that's where I put my vote; not the strongest unit, but awesome for it's time. Redcoats used to be total monsters, though. Honorable Mention to the Impi; had a Shaka game and they were alot of fun.

Immortal. Rush your continent or at least 2-3 rivals with Immortals, then build your hughe empire by Cyrus or Darius, both great leaders.

Due to the way the AI plays, the ideal UU for single-player is very early (replaces Warrior, Archer for a civilization that starts with Hunting, Axeman for one that starts with Mining Chariot for one that starts with two of Agriculture/Hunting/Wheel, or Spearman for one that starts with Hunting+Mining), gets a big bonus against Archers, and has 2 movement points. Since there aren't actually any anti-Archer Archer, Axe, or Spear UUs, the biggest military advantage you can get is from Quechuas, Immortals, or War Chariots.

Quechua: 4.4 vs Archers, 1 move, no prerequisites
Immortal: 6 vs Archers, 2 move, prerequisites AH/Wheel/horse pasture/route
War Chariot: 5 vs Archers, immune to first strike, 2 move, prerequisites AH/horse pasture/route

Personally, I enjoy the latter two more. Play the Earth map, or put the max number of opponents on a high sea level Terra and pray for horses, and you'll get an insane rush. No waiting 2500 years for those Quechuas to walk to your rivals.

Immortals recieve defensive boni which both normal chariot and war chariot don't.

You'll probabely want to add axeman/spearman/swordsman-UUs as they come very early too and the rusher doesn't depend on having a copperless victim.

I voted Musketeer the assault unit for the glorious French.
Best unit of the game-gunpowder uu, two move- provides dynamic play
either rapid defense or assault. The others pale in comparison.

Quechuas since they give you a very strong advantage from the get go and remain a very efficient investment of hammers for a long time if you play your cards right.

In Civ4 Vanilla Phalanx is the best UU. It becomes available early and stays relevant and useful for the longest time of any unit. You don't need to replace it or upgrade until you get gunpowder. It's a defensive unit, so the players who like early offense don't rate it as high as they should.

My favorite is the Oromo warrior for its multi-colored wardrobe and truly useful and versatile musketeer unit.
Numidian cavalry is cool too

Oh - now you've opened pandora's box. You don't want to get me started on the greatness of the BTS phalanx. It's a discussion I've had on these boards many times in the past...

I miss the old phalanx, especially since Greece is my favorite civ, but the new one is dandy also. It's probably better, although the times I have to go up against horse archers and elephants, I really miss the old one.

Oh - now you've opened pandora's box. You don't want to get me started on the greatness of the BTS phalanx. It's a discussion I've had on these boards many times in the past...

I know the new one has fans, and I even agree it's more historically accurate. But as far as it's value as a UU, it's less. Because now it becomes obsolete with the introduction of the crossbow and mace. Where the old one did not become obsolete with the intro of the pikeman.

The old one saved you one seriously large amount of hammers and gold during it's useful lifespan.

I know the new one has fans, and I even agree it's more historically accurate. But as far as it's value as a UU, it's less. Because now it becomes obsolete with the introduction of the crossbow and mace. Where the old one did not become obsolete with the intro of the pikeman.

The old one saved you one seriously large amount of hammers and gold during it's useful lifespan.

It's funny, I would make the same arguement with the BTS phalanx... it saves you production cost that would normally be spent on having a balanced military stack. Each phalanx by itself represents a balanced military stack... thus, no need for those defensive spearmen and chariots to accompany the stack. This is a huge advantage in the early game when production is fairly limited.

its close between immortals and redcoats. My favourite strategy is getting to rifling way before anyone else and as the AI tend to build loads of mounted around that time its kick ass time. With redcoat even when they get to muskets and then rifling its still kick ass time as by them all your units are promoted to level 3-4.

Over all though that really early rush to wipe out an AI and get all the cities as darius can offrd to keep them just sets up the rest of the game. Won my first 2 monarch games as darius just started with elizabeth and we shall see...

This vote doesnt include BTS units, does it?

My vote would go to the Cataphract. A power 12 version of the knight leads to astonishing results, especially when you beeline to it. And it comes at a time that fits my playstyle.

There aren't many that I really like. I picked the Impi because I just adore the 2 movement.

Top Bottom