Resource icon

Civ 6 Modding Tools & Basics

I see many ppl struggling with trying to make a new civ (or alter something in an existent one). I was in the same situation 2 years ago. It sums to copy & paste but you must know where to put the code (or where to get it in the first place), so I throw this basic tutorial.

TOOLS

You need some handy tools for search (I use them all, and sorry I am a windows user, for mac/linux I believe there´s plenty of similar search/coding platforms):

Visual Studio Community (here you get the place of the game core folder as an existent website) or VSCODE (here you open a folder but save as workspace) – especially useful for direct copy & paste, having your mod in another side project in same solution/workspace

IMPORTANT NOTE: Visual Code is the most recommended since works in all systems, and I think a portable version can be found also. Nevertheless, use your preferred text editor.

AstroGrep (to find a needle in a haystack) - especially useful to find errors in logs.

My handy tool for search (to search in the database) – especially useful to know all props (columns) possible to use in your coding and to make a “macro” search by a value. Good for searching modifiers.

<ModBuddy>
Its the official tool for modding available with the game. With this tutorial I don't use Modbuddy!
In the end, I write only some considerations and in the future, I will add modbuddy migration section.

Paint.Net (for 2D art) - Foi making icons and leader screens. You can use Gimp for other platforms.

Before we start don’t forget to read the rules about modding:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-modiquette.621791/

PS: I will continue writing the tutorial in DISCUSSION

--------------------------------------------> Continue here
Author
raen
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

More resources from raen

Latest updates

1. Finished Tutorial

For the tutorial read Discussion first 7 pages. -------------------------------------------->...

Latest reviews

notice me,senpai . . .
raen
raen
Appreciate it. Although, I am always in the learning path like a kohai ;)
Excelent tut. Thanks, Raen!
raen
raen
Many Thanks! Appreciated :)
Top Bottom