Jon Shafer joins Stardock to work on elemental

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I kind of figured he had just moved on to other pastures, and wasn't forcefully expelled from Firaxis like everyone here suspects. Civ V has already proven to be an early financial success and was critically very successful, and there are even many core gamers who like it or are at least very positive about where the game is going.

I wish the guy luck in his new position.

I wish him luck. But I'm not sure he's the guy I'd hire since I think most of the design decisions in Civ V were wrong-headed. Some of the interface stuff (Strategic View!) is brilliant but a lot of the actual game changes like pop=science=trade, reduced yields, maritime states, etc are not something which demonstrates a really firm grasp of what makes a fun, balanced, challenging game.

He couldn't make Elemental any worse at least. I've got the $$$ collector's edition and I played it like three times right after it came out. Maybe in a year it will be patched enough I can go back.

I hope he does well stardock needs talent. Well after the fiasco of Elemental: War of Bugs their latest offering wont get any worse. :lol:

Rat

Another is that he wanted to work wth a company that that the freedom to make the kinds of games he wanted to make.
I find this line interesting. Is this saying that he didn't think he had a lot of creative control in Civ5? Or is it saying that he didn't like being constrained to the Civ franchise?

You know, I kind of figured he had just moved on to other pastures, and wasn't forcefully expelled from Firaxis like everyone here suspects.

You know that's not true, so why act like you're the only rational holdout around here? Do you think you're gaining credibility or respect by belittling everyone else?

And yes, I'm glad Jon's joining the Stardock team. That probably means he'll be moving into my neck of the woods sometime soon, seeing as how Stardock is located about 15 minutes away from me. Wonder if I'll see Jon out at the bar someday? :) I'd still love to have a beer with him sometime.

Anyone know if Elemental has a demo version? I might have to check this game out at some point.

Congrats, Jon! And welcome to Michigan - hope you brought your mittens! :lol:

You know that's not true, so why act like you're the only rational holdout around here? Do you think you're gaining credibility or respect by belittling everyone else?

Pardon me, "everyone" was meant as an exaggeration. I was thinking of the thread announcing his leaving where dozens of people gave a knee-jerk negative interpretation of his departure. I realize not LITERALLY everyone thought this, but many immediately jumped to that conclusion, and wasn't really meaning to paint myself as having any sort of exclusive view. But...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404189

Feel free to take a gander at the thread and tell me I'm reading the reaction of a large portion of the 655 responses incorrectly ;) Perhaps in a PM though.

I am NOT happy. Stardock is my "last bastion" after what happened with the latest civ iteration. Does this mean that we Stardockers will have to endure another "renewed vission" from this person, as we civvers had to?

Not happy. Not happy at all. Count me among the ones that see Shafer as the responsible for the weakest civ ever. I don't want to see that happen to GalCiv, or the new Elemental for that matter... now that they finally have something playable, fun and engaging after patch 1.1.

NOT happy.

I am NOT happy. Stardock is my "last bastion" after what happened with the latest civ iteration. Does this mean that we Stardockers will have to endure another "renewed vission" from this person, as we civvers had to?

Not happy. Not happy at all. Count me among the ones that see Shafer as the responsible for the weakest civ ever. I don't want to see that happen to GalCiv, or the new Elemental for that matter... now that they finally have something playable, fun and engaging after patch 1.1.

NOT happy.

This.

So, apparently Stardock hasn't yet hit their quota this year for hiring mediocre game designers. I thought Kael was an odd choice (not due to FFH not being AWESOME but just him being rather green). But Shafer? Are they to hire the creative Team for Darksiders next?

This. I bought Elemental to get away from Civ Vs crapfest only to have the lead designer of civ V come crap on that game too.

I did exactly the same. With this new, and the new only, my Elemental experience is already ruined... what can I expect from the guy that ruined a succesful franchise of 20 years?

FrogBoy, big mistake, man... I am one of your loyals since GalCiv1, as I was to civ since Civ1... and you bring the same destroyer aboard.

Bad move. BAD move. Did you not realize that many, MANY of us moved from civ5 to Elemental, even with the bad release reports, because of the guy you are now hiring???

BAD move.

I wonder what these peoples' reactions would have been if we were only looking at Shafer's pre-Civ5 resume.

I wonder what these peoples' reactions would have been if we were only looking at Shafer's pre-Civ5 resume.

Shafer did not exist before civ5. Now he exists, and he will be remembered as the guy who destroyed a succesful franchise. That is the only resume I see.

Time will tell, of course. But you will see.

"Who is Jon Shafer?" I'm pretty sure that would be most people's responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom