PolyCast Episode 130: "Not So Cut and Dry"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Dig deeper. The one-hundred-and-thirtieth episode of PolyCast, "Not So Cut and Dry", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and Lisa "qnl" Bang with returning guest co-host Kelly "KMadCandy"; it has a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m12s | Open Mic
Reacting to some responses to the most previous episode the show.
- 05m57s | Forum Talk
An argument to modify the movement and effect of Great Generals in Civilization V, dealing with quitters in Civ multiplayer, and using the cultural slider in CivIV.
- 32m10s | Senate
Stealing the Settlers and Workers of CivV Artificial Intelligence (AI) opponents and dissecting a 1190AD Conquest win on Deity in CivIV.
- 46m08s | Miscellaneous
Brainstorming ideas for a children's Civ-themed birthday party, and acknowledging the approach of the show's fifth birthday.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
A deprival as a gift, varying distractions, singing off and double-checking identities.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Have you discussed the tech tree and how some techs are in odd places or do not make sense?

I loved TMIT's opening joke.

I do use the culture slider though usally later in the game. Though I used to do a ratio of 3.5.2.

Now I do 100% science for long as possible.

I find it easier to just declare war and use units to take a city, though there are some times where there is a good opportunity to take a city with culture.

I don't think the AI or humans should meta-game with how we play the Civ game. Also in StarCraft Mafia they are now listing people who are known for certain behaviors such as quitting early and cheating.

Have you discussed the tech tree and how some techs are in odd places or do not make sense?
I presume you're referring to CivV's technology tree? We have discussed it previously in several respects, but not specifically on what you are asking. That said, when you say "do not make sense" as distinguished from "in odd places", what are you referring to in terms of their being nonsensical then? Why they're in the game generally speaking, what they allow you to build, combination thereof or otherwise?

On another front, was this the first time you've listened to the show or..? Regardless, hope you enjoyed it.

I loved TMIT's opening joke.
He made a joke? ;)

I do use the culture slider though usally later in the game. Though I used to do a ratio of 3.5.2.

Now I do 100% science for long as possible.

I find it easier to just declare war and use units to take a city, though there are some times where there is a good opportunity to take a city with culture.
I would describe the "times" to purposefully work to take a city with culture to be the exception rather than the rule, as was indeed noted by panelists such as myself all around.

I don't think the AI or humans should meta-game with how we play the Civ game.
Though I could see a 'specialized' form of play being developed (e.g. interlinked campaigns), generally speaking I concur this should be avoided. This is one of the rarer exceptions of the AI "having it right" and humans the considerable capacity to not. :lol:

ive listened to a few, but i mean:

what does pottery have to do with learning writing?
why does railroad come before combustion?

@Dan: Yes the exception was what I was trying to say, it wouldn't happen often but there have been a few times where flipping a city is good. I was also referring to TMIT's "Our close borders spark PASSION!"

As for the Tech Tree:

Pottery, it is not just about making pottery but also includes Granary and ability to make Cottages which can eventually become towns. It's about the consolidation of the population, thus the need for writing, or leading to writing.

Train's ran on steam before Combustion engines so yes Railroad would come before Combustion.

With Pottery, you have a light, cheap material to write on that can be stored or transported. At least that's how I always rationalized it.

I'm guessing combustion in the game refers to the internal combustion engine (I don't know the civilopedia entry off the top of my head), and the earlier trains ran on steam engines so that makes sense to me.

Ah 'k -- appreciate the clarification.

I was also referring to TMIT's "Our close borders spark PASSION!"
I know what you were referring to, but I can see how you got the impression that I didn't. It would have been more accurate to use ":p" than ";)" in my most previous reply here to you. :mischief:

Thanks also to you, Kevin, for you reply. At the risk of being somewhat presumptuous :D, hope you enjoyed the episode too.

Top Bottom