0% Science Chieftain (non-conquering victory) game discussion

tuga2112

Warlord
ive recently got back into playing this game after a few of the most recent posts re-sparked the interest.

this time i decided to give myself a different type of challenge compared to my usual approach of "play chieftan and try to beat my previous high score"

ive decided to go for a 0% science game from turn zero. and started off without any extra discoveries.

i found myself wasting close to 2000 years just trying to setup the first few cities up so they were ready to support scientists. Some techs were stolen from the AI by demanding them in order to give peace, and some where conquered by taking cities.

the biggest dificulty i had was the fact in despotism the food production in cities is pretty limited.
the approach i took to eventually be in a position to use scientists was to initially use some cities as settler only produces and trying to make other cities reach pop 5 as soon as possible using settlers.
given the very slow research, i decided to go for the construction tech (piramids) instead of republic as my first priority.
after converting the civ to democracy the food production in the cities finally allowed the population to support more scientists and eventually i reached a point where research was failry easy to come by

I have came across this same challenge in the forum in the past. but people who did it were playing in higher dificulties and using diplomats to keep up with the civs technologically.

id like to know if other people have tried similar challenge to this and how differently from my appraoch would they tackle the challenge?

im curious to see if there is mechanics in the game i am unfamiliar with that would have helped my playthrough

This is not documented in the manual, but I'm pretty sure that you get a number of lightbulbs as a bonus for each caravan delivery.

Trade and science are related to each other since in the beginning of the game it is very easy to see that your discovery frequency rises when you build roads or use a fish resource.
So the permanent trade bonus of a trade route will definitely increase your science speed.
Nice challenge btw.

The permanent bonus increases science only as a fraction of trade, so it won't help someone with 0 % science. The one-time bonus boosts gold and beakers directly.

Top Bottom