(6-08c) Acquire City Quest - Grant XP Within City Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingcheesepie

Chieftain
Counter-Proposal to: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/6-09-modify-city-capture-quest.685823/

For Capture a City City-State Quest:
Current value: 80 influence, 15-20 experience for all Units
Proposed value: 80 influence, 20-25 experience for all Units in the borders of the City that was conquered

Rationale: The current quest is a bit strong and also annoying because it often wakes Units that are garrisoned across your empire. It also makes little sense that Units far from the warfront are gaining experience as well. Instead, we should change it like the recent Patriotic War change where only Units in the borders of the conquered City are healed - though here they would gain experience. This removes the same weirdness where conquering a City across the map buffs Units everywhere, and also limits total experience granted. In comparison to the lump sum proposal for the capture quest, this decreases possible cheesiness, as well as removing the experience to Units far away strangeness.

Complex Proposal: DLL + UI + Database Changes

Last edited by a moderator:
In a range of 5-10 square even. Supply lines / healing units should be included IMO
True. Also units taking care about the territory arround. I think range of 5 around the city would be enough.

It often wakes Units that are garrisoned across your empire.
Very true. My turn lasted forever especially I had tight situation on other front in another war.

So far, the best proposal. You have my vote.

Counter-Proposal to: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/6-09-modify-city-capture-quest.685823/

For Capture a City City-State Quest:
Current value: 80 influence, 15-20 experience for all Units
Proposed value: 80 influence, 20-25 experience for all Units in the borders of the City that was conquered

Rationale: The current quest is a bit strong and also annoying because it often wakes Units that are garrisoned across your empire. It also makes little sense that Units far from the warfront are gaining experience as well. Instead, we should change it like the recent Patriotic War change where only Units in the borders of the conquered City are healed - though here they would gain experience. This removes the same weirdness where conquering a City across the map buffs Units everywhere, and also limits total experience granted. In comparison to the lump sum proposal for the capture quest, this decreases possible cheesiness, as well as removing the experience to Units far away strangeness.
This is a cool solution. Two thoughts:

1) If XP is awarded to units in city borders this breaks the hex conquer mod as it pushes in city borders as you advance, set distance from cities makes more sense like Dimmy suggested.

2) This will lead to cheese where you delay conquering a city at 0 HP to pack as many units as you can around it before taking it for max XP.

But I think it is better to prioritize units capturing the city, thus risking something than leveling up distant units doing nothing but staring at the sea.

I am open to changing it to 15-20 experience and making it a flat nerf. I do think that there will always be some fiddiliness, but the question is how much and from what. This has less compared to a global pool due to the global leveling, and again is equal to Patriotic War in terms of stacking units into City territory. If you really wanted to minimize fiddiliness you could counterpropose it to be only units that dealt damage to the City (this would not allow units that attacked a 0 HP city to gain the experience), but that seems like more work than it's worth.

I think this change would curb the issue somewhat, but it would hurt the AI much more than the human. When it has the most effect, at the beginning-middle of the game, there might only be 3 or 4 spots available for non-damage soaking units to get the bonus. The human makes sure that they would have their best ranged units there to give them the T4 promotions, whereas I could easily see the AI putting something like a lvl1 pikeman in one of those spots or nothing at all.

I think another option would be to do something similar to my Coup quest, where instead of giving an incalculable yield, it could give science like the discover a City quest. I don't recall the current science value there, but conquest could be 2x, as a mirror. That does allow warmongers to jump ahead a lot more though.

That's why I think using range instead of borders is safer and less exploitable by humans.

True. Also units taking care about the territory arround. I think range of 5 around the city would be enough.
this would work similar to the new Order (Patriotic War) proposal, which heals all units within 3 of a city when you conquer it.

I think this includes too much micro to get the units for which you want xp into the borders. I would rather get 3 UUs with bonus XP as a quest reward than xp for existing units.

Sponsored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom