A new Map generation Algorythmn - SimEarth alike.

Lazy sweeper

Warlord
At most recent events dipan, I've come to yet another map generation idea.
I'll try to make some Q&A in and out.
Have anyone played SimEarth?

SimEarth game start with Earth map generation at 4.5 billions years as a ball of fire,then evolves with water meteor strikes, vulcano eruptions, storms etc untill the first life form appear as the water world begins to cool down and the Sun rays get filtered by the atmosphere and white clouds.

I wish Civ VII could merge that philosophy and give us back that wonderful emotions of us being a kid trying desperately to get the hang on a DOS command line without father slapping you for increasing the electricity bill.

I wish that Joy could be recreated in two diffrent forms. One for kids of tomorrow, who just want to play an easy game, and would keep Sid Mayer legacy happy with lot of gold, and a pro version for the hardcore adults who just can't bare watching eradication of entire chapters of human evolution for the sake of portabilty.

A new map algorytmn is needed, one which employs verticality in a new way, a continuosly generative map from start to finish. My idea has in mind some feature generation hotspots, with a variable force, altitude, that can either be fixed at some points in the map, like ley lines do, or have a nomadic nature, as temperature or magnetism, wind direction, could move them dynamically. As do clouds.

Maps get generated with many different algorythmns, as far as I understand.
My understanding of the divers algorythms may vary.
Tectonic map generation has been one of the few map generation algorythms that get closest to
my ideal map generation al. in which we can find ring of fire, but not canyons, no high risk earthquakes regions, not squashed micro climate zones. It is based on a three layers design, each layers with different values.

Layer one is land, that can be also water or ocean, hills, mountains.
Layer two is features, like vulcanoes, rivers, wonders, ley lines.
Layer three is players, goody huts, start locations, etc.

Fractal map generation is bidimensional. Overimpose various fractal images to obtain different density.
add geometry afterwards, and cut the map into plates. Keep the base geometry intersection points. Those will be the Ley line pillars to the cente of the Earth. Add positive and negative expansion modifiers to add stretch movements to each plate. Plates will move based on their density around the ley lines which have an infinite density and can't be moved and form canyons, rifts, mountain ranges. Add Lava Hotspots, or LHS, to create islands while the plates move on top of them. Add Water hotspots or WHS to create constant erosion to landmass. ICE would carve canyons that would expand to the continetal plate limits. Water Meteors would add water after the initial fractal fire blob land formation. Each HS has a force, from -1K to 1K. Some are finite in nature, some other infinite. Water would be infinte for example, but metal would not.

Ley lines intersection hotspots should get a blob algo altogether. They would try to reconnect themselves if interrupted by a major strike impact, reversing the direction movements of plates due to their inifinite density that can't be diplaced due to geometry itself the triangle will always try to get to their original perfect shape.
Which I have no idea what that is but that is what this thread is about...

Making questions to which I do not have an answer and make it publicly av. :D

What is a hotspot* (*HS)? Can HS be negative and positive at the same time?
Can HS be a generator of Land, Water, Fire, Wood and Metal?

What is a Ley line? Are they nails or pillars? Are they magnetic and geometry only?
What are clouds? Can clouds be HS? Can clouds generate electricity?
Can Ley lines generate electricity? What is the role of electricty, magnetism and thunders, in map formation?

If we consider layers to be bidimensional X-Y value, could density be considered Z?

And many othe roughly visual things I am drawing and when time will come I should put online.

Last edited:
Minecraft civ would be fantastic, if just turn based and cool graphic. XYZ is all there.

Finding the resources for to build the Pyramid would be quite a feature, maybe this one is a little megalomaniac :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom