[BTS] A not-too-exciting Noble Unrestricted Leaders Archipelago game of mine - Huayna Capac of the Netherlands

R82

Chieftain
I'm still playing on Noble, and still only winning when I'm having a good day. So I thought I might post a few saves from my most recent game, just in case anyone is interested in commenting on it. It's the first game I've won on an archipelago map. I've only started trying out archipelagos recently, and I quite like it - the overseas exploration phase of the game is definitely more fun than on continents maps.

I had asked people for basic advice about archipelago maps, and I was told that I should try to built the Great Lighthouse, and that it might be a good idea to have an industrious leader for that. So I thought about unrestricted leaders options that would combine an industrious leader with a civilization well suited for watery maps, and eventually settled on Huayna Capac of the Netherlands. (An earlier game as Huayna Capac of the Vikings had worked out well until I hit the industrial age and realized that I had basically no city suitable for building levees. So I decided I preferred dikes to trading posts after all.)

This game was mostly peaceful, because I'm still trying to figure out how to work this kind of map.

A general note: recently my main strategy has been to get Machinery as soon as possible, preferably before everyone else, and then unleash crossbows on unsuspecting neighbors without crossbows. Usually, that should work well with archipelago maps, since Machinery is on the way to Optics, anyway. But this time, it didn't really work out that well. Also, I usually try to run a standard hybrid economy based on getting Caste System early (founding Confucianism in the process), but that didn't really work out this time, either.

Version: Beyond the Sword Mod: Buffy 3.19.005 Settings: Noble difficulty, huge map, archipelago (and archipelago rather than snaky continents or tiny islands), standard speed, standard start, other settings standard, too, unrestricted leaders

I must admit that I kind of cheated by using Map Finder to find myself a really good starting position:

Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

On to the saves:

4000 BC How it all began.

2000 BC Settling in.

1040 BC
Spoiler :
About to complete the Great Lighthouse. I got my first iron/copper units a lot later than I would have wanted to.

1 AD
Spoiler :
I would have preferred to have more cities up by then.

580 AD
Spoiler :
Slowly - more than I would have wanted it - but steadily I'm getting somewhere.

1020 AD
Spoiler :
Starting overseas exploration.

(To be continued in the next post...)

Attachments

• Huayna Capac AD-1020.CivBeyondSwordSave
    307.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Huayna Capac AD-0580.CivBeyondSwordSave
    266.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Huayna Capac AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    226 KB · Views: 2
  • Huayna Capac BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    145.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Huayna Capac BC-1040.CivBeyondSwordSave
    169.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Huayna Capac BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    81.7 KB · Views: 2
1505 AD
Spoiler :
Overseas exploration mostly done. I usually spend the early Renaissance trying to get Economics quickly.

1700 AD
Spoiler :
In the midst of my one and only war, trying to turn my one neighbor into a vassal. I could have turned the eastern island into a colony, but I didn't want to negotiate about access to oil and wine with them, and I wanted to keep my territory and population large for later when I had capitulated vassals.

1810 AD
Spoiler :
Racing to Railroad and Corporation so that my spare Great Engineer can found Mining Inc.

1900 AD
Spoiler :
With almost all the Wonders I wanted, and both of the Corporations I wanted, I'm starting to prepare for the space race.

1963 AD
Spoiler :
When I was about to start my spaceship. If you load this one, you have to manually call up the spaceship screen and launch.

1972 AD
Spoiler :
When I was about to win.

Attachments

• Huayna Capac AD-1505.CivBeyondSwordSave
    419.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Huayna Capac AD-1700.CivBeyondSwordSave
    531.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Huayna Capac AD-1810.CivBeyondSwordSave
    567.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Huayna Capac AD-1900.CivBeyondSwordSave
    641.9 KB · Views: 0