Abstain in Polls CoL

blackheart

unenlightened
I wanted to create this CoL in response to polls created with a strong bias that groups the no option with abstain

CoL - Abstain Vote Option in Polls

A. The option to "vote abstain" in polls shall not be used in conjunction with or in place of the "no vote" option.

B. All polls will have a form of the abstain option.

C. Abstain will be used to indicate disinterest, neutrality, or protest in the poll.

D. The abstain option shall not be grouped with any other options in a given poll.

E. If a poll should receive more abstain votes than all other options combined, the subject being polled must be repolled.

A is basically no more grouping abstain with any other options, like saying if you voted abstain you also voted no.

B is that all polls will have an abstain option in them, although it could be a variation of the word abstain (abstainia, etc.)

C is saying that abstain options mean you really don't care about the poll, have no inclinations towards the options, or protest public/private polls. It's there to guarantee people don't badmouth abstain voters.

E is so if (rarely) the abstain option gets more votes than the rest of the options in a poll, it must be repolled, since if you have abstain as the majority, this is not the WOTP.

Please feel free to suggest any changes or additions or removal of items from this.

When this will be polled, I will abstain, and recommend all to do the same.

As soon as we can guarantee that all polls are fair and present all options, including negative options, I could somewhat handle this.

That, however, will not happen. Human nature and all. Note the recent poll by ali that included three options without a negative choice, forcing those opposed to abstain. Under this proposal, this would ignore the will of the people!

Abstain is a valid option for demonstrating the will of the people. You may not like it, but the use of abstain is a valid, and needed, control upon power of leaders in posting polls. It's often the only way to protest the options presented by the leader. This restricts the rights to free speech enjoyed by citizens by discounting their voice.

-- Ravensfire

I think this has the correct objective (make polls more fair by restricting how abstain can be used) but the wording is too oblique for it to be successful. We need the same polling standards which were used in DG3, either as a law (polls which do not follow these standards are invalid) or as a commission which instructs pollsters on the correct procedure.

DaveShack said:
I think this has the correct objective (make polls more fair by restricting how abstain can be used) but the wording is too oblique for it to be successful. We need the same polling standards which were used in DG3, either as a law (polls which do not follow these standards are invalid) or as a commission which instructs pollsters on the correct procedure.

Could you enlighten me as to what they were in DG3 or perhaps draft up one without less oblique wording?

@Ravensfire - This was made to ensure that abstain isn't grouped with other options, and I had Ali's poll in mind when I made this.

I agree that Alis poll was flawed, and could be called null and valid. He could however have attached a rider to it. What will happen if it becomes abstain. In a sense, Abstain is nothing more than Status Quo, for practical purposes. I imagine you guys would discuss Abstain to the end of days of Japanatica.

Provolution said:
I agree that Alis poll was flawed, and could be called null and valid. He could however have attached a rider to it. What will happen if it becomes abstain. In a sense, Abstain is nothing more than Status Quo, for practical purposes. I imagine you guys would discuss Abstain to the end of days of Japanatica.

That's pretty much what I think abstian is too.

Well actually lemme rephrase myself before I dig a bigger hole, abstain is like saying "I neither agree nor disagree, I keep my neutrality on this." Which is like status quo, albeit not along the EXACT lines.

Top Bottom