I’m all for wall mounting, it’s the same as anything framed and looks cleaner and more deliberate. I never liked cabinet TVs, I don’t miss craning my neck and I don’t miss bad sound.

Speaking of bad sound it irks me when TVs, speakers, etc are placed poorly for audio. The worst is when a musician shows off their spacious basement studio and the computer and the speakers are in the corner, or even the long wall when the short wall is available.

I haven't had a tv in a long time, but if I got one, I'd want it wall-mounted. The only reason I would get a tv now is to build a kind of "in-home cinema", with as big a screen as I could afford and a solid sound system (which would have to include wireless headphones, since I live in an apartment building).

On my PC screens, I use a rotating 'carousel' of desktop backgrounds. I might try to do the same thing with a wall-mounted tv, if I got one. It'd be like having a framed picture that changes periodically (would have to see how much power that uses - even in some kind of "low power mode", it wouldn't be nothing). The difficult part might be in finding nice images of a sufficient size to look good. My PC screens are 2560x1440, and I sometimes struggle to find images I like that are big enough. I think a 4k tv is 3840x2160. I don't know how many of the images I find, just by browsing the web and not paying for them, are that big.

That aside, if I wanted to get a new tv, I think I'd have to spend a month just researching what I want. I don't know if you can simply go into a store and just buy a tv anymore. A friend of mine went into a store with his mother-in-law who wanted a new tv, and the customer service person had to take them on like a half-hour tour, just to lay out their options. I wouldn't even know where to start.

One TV I saw, in its idle mode, displays great works of art. I think if I owned that TV, I would just set it to its idle mode.

We have a monster of a tv by my standards. It perfectly fits in front of the fireplace. It’s not literally wall mounted but that’s because the fireplace provided kind of a framing that maybe even Amadeus would approve of.

It’s also centered in the short wall of the room, the sound is incredible, we don’t even use a bar or other speakers, just the built in ones.

If I had a perfect music room, I would probably have a giant wall mounted tv for the computer monitor. There’s many reasons, desk space is one. But another is to reduce sound blockers between the monitor speakers that should be placed a bit away from the wall, making an equilateral triangle between them and your head.

Am I the only one who hate noise ?

I'm suffering from a probably-pathological hatred for noise.
In particular, I loathe any noise that could be constrained by acting with a bit of civility (like loud music, dogs left barking, people shouting and laughing loudly in the middle of inhabited locations). Silence is golden is one saying I'm really taking to heart.

By the way, speaking of TVs, am I the only one who hates a TV being in every frickin' waiting room on Earth?

They can't hope to put it on a channel that is pleasing to everyone in the waiting room. They have to pick the most anodyne station that they can. So there it is blasting Bonanza or Fixer Upper to a group of people, none of whom want to watch Bonanza or Fixer Upper.

The reason I ask if I'm the only one who hates this is that the designer of every frickin' waiting room on Earth seems for some reason to have decided that people waiting in a waiting room will want to watch TV--because they've equipped every frickin' room on Earth with a TV.

Am I the only one who hates ear-buds?

no not that stupid movie about the dog playing basketball,
that was Air Bud, and I hate that too.

I mean the wireless speakers that people put in their ears. Are they listening to stuff all the time? Why does it seem like they're not paying attention to where they're going, relative to other people? I also can't imagine that being good for your ears having a speaker next to it and on all the time.

Also, the whole thing with like it being some kind of status symbol. Let me tell ya somethin': if I can afford it, it's not a status symbol. I'm not impressed.

By the way, speaking of TVs, am I the only one who hates a TV being in every frickin' waiting room on Earth?
I don't think there was ever a time in my life that I went to Valvoline for an oil change and didn't see Judge Judy on. Do they have some kind of secret cable link to the Judge Judy archives? And nobody wants to stay at Valvoline for a whole episode, you want to be in and out, so you're not going to see the judgments anyway. Now I will say that the smell of the waiting room is kind of comforting, and depending on which one you go to they have those soft naugahyde chairs that were reminiscent of Ricardo Montalban extolling the virtues of Corinthian leather, as if the Greeks are known for their wide open cattle ranches.

Should have been Euboean leather, now one thinks of it.

Nope. They stink. Sound quality is doo-doo. Real music fans wear proper headphones.

Airpod pros changed my life, y'all crazy.

I don’t like em because it’s another thing I have to charge up/replace batteries. Just give me the good old wired earbuds/headphones.

I am not a fan of wall-mounted TVs. "Hate" might be a bit too strong, but I don't see the advantages. Most wall-mounted TVs are mounted too high to be comfortable, unless you have a standing-room-only crowd. I don't want to be craning my neck while watching a two-hour movie. TVs on TV stands or cabinets are generally at a more correct elevation for watching TV from a nearby sofa or chair.

And I'm okay with the space being used that way. I can store things in my TV stand. An XBox, DVDs in one of the drawers, various PC accessories and cables in another, home cleaning supplies in a different cubby. Where would I store all that if my TV were wall-mounted? In a taller cabinet under the wall-mounted TV?

One of my friends has a new house, and also isn't a fan of wall-mounted TVs, though he had his TV wall-mounted at his old place. He likes the TVs higher up than me (maybe he's used to that now), and is looking for an unusually tall TV stand. I joked that maybe he should stack two of them, and he said he's thought of that. Will be interested to see what he comes up with.

I'm also not a big fan of earbuds. They don't seem to fit my ears properly. Usually, that amounts to them falling out of my ears, especially if I move while wearing them.

Instead, my all-time favorite highly portable headphone was the Sennheiser PX-100. A small, foldable design. Not the best at noise isolation, but easy to put in a backpack, much less bulky than traditional ones, and they never fell off my ear. Unfortunately, the cable couldn't hold up to repeated wear and tear, and wore out, and now they're discontinued. But with a sturdier cable, I'd probably still be using them.

All right, new one. Am I the only one who doesn't like wireless mice? Generally speaking, at least. There's actually one cheap Logitech wireless mouse that I like. But I've had very unimpressive results with them in general. Insufficiently reliable signals is the big one, making it impossible to be competitive at Unreal 2004 and sometimes annoying just to do basic productivity tasks like move around a spreadsheet. But also, not all of them have very good battery life. The cheap Logitech I have uses AA batteries and even when I was using the same model as my main work PC's mouse, it lasted the better part of a year. But some use too small of rechargeable batteries or aren't very power efficient, and charging them all the time (every fortnight or so, in practice) is less convenient than just having a wired mouse.

I still keep a wired mouse in my backpack for coffee shops, but now use a wired mouse when my laptop is docked at home.

@Quintillus coming from the ball-mouse generation (and beyond! I still remember my DOS commands :)) anything is better than that. I have a wireless mouse and I’ve never experienced anything but perfect reception, my hands being the culprit in all problems.

I remember having an entertainment center, which was going to replace the supposed ramshackle of the VCR and cable box on top of the TV for a world of glorious compartmentalized everything. What they don’t tell you is long after the euphoria has faded, nobody wants those things anymore, including the garbageman. Even the thrill of destroying it with an axe and throwing it away in pieces does not fill the hole left in my heart from the process of trying to rid myself of that wretched behemoth.

I’m surprised more shooters wouldn’t take them as places to put targets on. I lived enough in a country area where you could set it up for your tin cans and other assorted things that go ping.

I also hate adamantly wall mounted TV's, I might have been too aggressive on more than one occasion when people suggested wall mounted TV sets for my house. I am OK with handshakes although I don't deliberately go around shaking hands.
I hate ceramic floor tiles made to look like wood, just put real wood on the floor then, however I do like the vinyl tiles made to look like wood, I like their texture as well.

@Quintillus coming from the ball-mouse generation (and beyond! I still remember my DOS commands :)) anything is better than that. I have a wireless mouse and I’ve never experienced anything but perfect reception, my hands being the culprit in all problems.
Oh yes, I'm old enough to have used ball mice. Still have a working one, IBM, circa 1992. Every year or so I plug it in to the PS/2 port on my desktop and remind myself of what it was like, and optical mice are so nice. I think my Microsoft serial mouse still works too, but I have to dig out a vintage system to use it, much less convenient than my second-favorite port of 1987 (after VGA).

It's probably a factor that I live in an apartment, so there's a lot of congestion on the airwaves. And wired mice aren't flawless, I've had a few wear out because the tail wore through, moving against the back of the desk and losing microns of thickness every day. But on the whole, in my apartment life, wired has been much more reliable.

(When a wireless mouse doesn't work well, it moves visibly laggily across the screen. Instead of a pixel or two at a time, it'll update every half second... not great. I also once had a wireless keyboard that occasionally lost a letter, it got old fast writing things like "CivFaatics" because one of the letters didn't make it across the room. Now I just have a USB extension cable for the rare times I want to type on my desktop from across the room on the sofa)

I think that "no one wants it anymore, hard to get rid of" is why one of my friend's parents' still have a non-HD rear-projection DLP TV and entertainment center. Those things weigh hundreds of pounds, and while it's not modern and is lower-res, the picture is still a decent size, so it's probably going to be there until it quits working one day in 2045.

Is that one of those TVs you can only see the picture from if you’re basically right in front of it? The video rental store I went to in my town had one, and even by 1990 it was “meh” at best.

I remember having an entertainment center, which was going to replace the supposed ramshackle of the VCR and cable box on top of the TV for a world of glorious compartmentalized everything. What they don’t tell you is long after the euphoria has faded, nobody wants those things anymore, including the garbageman.
I have two old entertainment centers holding things in my garage: circular saw, shoe boxes of various size screws, etc.

But yes, I mostly hate them.

Am I the only one who hates technological "progress"? E.g. Huge screen TVs that initially make you think "hey, I got a huge TV" only to ultimately turn into a huge low-res TV that you can't give away and would have to strain to take away. Or huge Hi-res TVs that initially make you think "Hey, I got a huge hi-res TV" only to ultimately need wall-mounting at a non-optimal height. Or ear-buds that initially make you think "hey, no cumbersome headphone," only to need charging all the damn time?

I suspect I'm not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom