Ancient China: The Warring States (7 Civs)

Thanks!
Appoint Bai Qi as Commander
  • Player must be Qin
  • Must have researched Horseback Riding
  • Player is at war
  • Player has at least 2 Horse resources available
  • May only be enacted once per game
Costs:
  • 500 :c5gold: Gold
  • 1 Magistrate
Rewards:
  • Great General 'Bai Qi' appears outside the capital
  • Two Bai Qi's Cavalry appear outside the capital
  • All units gain +10% combat strength for the next 6 turns

Thoughts? In terms of both design and balance. Maybe there are better things to base a decision on that I've missed out?

I think that the general Bai Qi should also give units adjacent to it the "heavy charge" promotion (winged hussar promotion), but if that is too hard to code you can drop it.
It would make the decision much more worthwhile and fun, while also making it more historically accurate. :)

Oh, by the way, if you happen to have the full-sized image that you used to make the Bai Qi's Cavalry icon, I could use it as a reference to make a reskin for the unit.

Another Chino here.

I grow up reading lots and lots and lots of stories about the warring states. Here are some of my advice on your mod:

China has this concept of Zhong yuan, literally the Central plain, a fertile heartland where the royal family lives in and are protected by a ring of states from barbarians. But as the royal prestige decline, the power is decentralized to the states. This is basically how the warring states come to be.

In Civ 5 we have three ideologies: Autocracy, Order and Freedom. I am going to divide the 7 states into these category as follow.

Autocracy
Out of the 7 warring states, Chu and Qin sit on the periphery of the Central Plain. They are actually taken as "barbarians" by other states and are marginalized. They become a major power only after engulfing the riches of more wealthy, smaller states with the help of a strong army.

1. The state of Chu, led by Xiong Lü, He is famous for bullying neighboring "city states" and conquering them.
  2. The state of Qin, led by Ying Renhao, He is famous for conquering the barbarians in the West and made their land as Qin's backyard for grazing and farms.
  3. Potential candidate:The state of Zhao, led by Wuling. Your settings are pretty accurate. King Wuling is famous for inventing horseback riding and winning a number of campaigns.

Order
Since the Warring states period marks the end of Bronze age and the beginning of Iron age, my definition of the "Order" states are the states with more advanced smelting technology.
Out of all the states, 2 central plain states: Wei and Han possess the highest smelting technologies.
  1. The state of Han invents the crossbow and defends its weak and sparsely populated state with the crossbowman alone.
  2. The state of Wei is the first state to master iron smelting and replaces all the bronze armours with impenetrable iron gears.
These are definitely the two states that focus on "productivity" in gameplay terms.

Freedom
Some states are not very much into conquest but flourish in arts and culture.
  1. State of Qi, led by Xiaobai, works his way through clever diplomacy to turn a lot of smaller "city states" to side with him and become the first major power in the warring states period.
  2. State of Yan is the weakest state of all. Even at its greatest strength, led by King ZhaoXiang of Yan, was only powerful enough to fend off foreign invasions. Yet, because of this, Yan is heavily romanticized by the historian. Yan is famous for its music and it's struggle against powerful neighbors. When the country is at its gravest danger facing the encroaching Qin's army, Yan sent Jing Ke to assassinate Ying Zheng by pretending as a diplomat. Many poems and songs are written afterwards to applaud Jing Ke's bravery on this suicide mission.

China has been a secular country since its founding. I don't think any of the states should have a bonus on religion. There is enough going on here to inspire you how the UA should be IMO.

Top Bottom