Anyone tried Civ Rev on the DS?

My son is 6 but we already got him a Gameboy Advance for his birthday which isn't until November.

Can you really play Civ on wifi on the DS to far away people? It was my understanding that they had to be within 40 feet of you. I guess I should look into it.

Yup, there are two options. Play locally, and then Nintendo WiFi. However, I have never done this.

Anyone else know what the experience is like?

I did make a friend code, but I barely use it.

Theoretically you should be able to play a game over Nintendo WiFi with anyone anywhere, if you have their friend code. The mode that requires you to be within 40 feet is "Local Wireless" (under the DS Wireless Communications main menu option). Either option uses a lot of battery power and would probably require you to keep your DS plugged in to play a full game of Civ Rev.

Wow! Well, once my game comes in (hopefully today), I'll try that out.

Thanks so much for letting me know! I'm even more psyched now!!

Errol! - what's your friend code name?

Word of warning to anyone buying the DS version - expect pretty awful graphics. I bought a DS just to play Civ, and maybe my expectations were too high but when you build Wonders (or even buildings) you don't see anything, and the game just ends abruptly without any sort of graphic at all (not sure about the other versions). Even reading lots of reviews about crummy graphics, I was surprised - doesn't seem to have come too far from Civ II...

On the bright side, gameplay is great and you will keep playing "just one more turn"!

...expect pretty awful graphics. ... - doesn't seem to have come too far from Civ II...

Actually, Civ II was at least isometric. Civ DS is still top down. So it hasn't come far from CivNet. :D

If people really want to check it out, here are some google images:

http://images.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=CIV+Revolution+DS&btnG=Search+Images

You also don't get notified if an uncontacted civ builds a wonder. I'm still trying to remember which wonder does what. :D

Top Bottom