[BTS] Barb path finding?

Tobiyogi

King
I tried a Raging Barbs on Immortal on a fractal map, Charly was chosen for me.

So far so good, after a couple of fights (they enter borders around 3000 BC), I have my little chunk of land under control. Pacal not though, he is not fogbusting at all, so the barbs enter his capitol from the southwest. What happens now is that they pass through his territory, ignore an improvement (farmed dye) and beeline directly for my capitol. I could record those pictures only because the same thing keeps on happening since a couple of turns. They know only one path while they are already in his territory, very strange.

Spoiler Barb movements :

Picture 000 - they are in Pacals land
Picture 002 - they ignore the farm
Picture 003 - they attack in my land and die against my Woody II warrior

Unfortunately, I don't find the "full image" option this time....

Does somebody understand what's happening here? Noone has built TGW yet, btw.

Maybe it's due to his huge culture (Holy city + Stonehenge) that they cannot "see" his capitol tile and think there is nothing? Blind barbs? :eek2:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 93
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 91
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I've had barb units completely ignore fogbusters and units inside cities and just go straight for pillaging improvements. So annoying!

A good read about barbs: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/barbarians.324961/

Their choice to attack a unit or not is interesting, very low base value but high random multiplier, meaning they are very likely to attack but not guaranteed to do so.

About the pics in OP, it might have something to do with AreaAI. If I understand the article correctly they do have some kind of collective AI where all barb units in an area target the same city ("very often the capital of the human player" according to DanF). That sounds about like what happened in your game.

If I'm looking at your pics correctly, Aachen is has no unit stationed in it. So the Barb logic might be to head towards that juicy undefended target without noticing all the defenders a couple of tiles out.

I've had barb units completely ignore fogbusters and units inside cities and just go straight for pillaging improvements. So annoying!

That is understandable at least. If they feel they would lose anyway they rather climb up the gold mine or pasture and destroy it. Sometimes, the only goal in a barb's life is to survive "just one more turn". A warrior often not attacks the axeman directly but steps on a tile next to him where he will inevitably die as well, but only next turn :lol:

About the pics in OP, it might have something to do with AreaAI. If I understand the article correctly they do have some kind of collective AI where all barb units in an area target the same city ("very often the capital of the human player" according to DanF). That sounds about like what happened in your game.

Didn't know about that one. Seemed to me that they prefer the human capitol, maybe because there was no garisonned unit, maybe because Pacal was stacking several archers or simply because they had chosen a path which they could not leave no more. At least 5 barbs took exactly the same path.

I've have the opposite happen to me. I had small empire of four cities spanning in South to North direction. Four barb swordman spawned East from my terretory, headed for my lightly defended capital (Had 1 archer and whipped 2 more) and then walked right past to attack my neigbour on West ignoring my units and improvements.
I figured this was the barbarian horde event even if there was no message about it, but later they were followed by two warriors and single archer who all just ignored me to grind against axes of my neighbour.

That is understandable at least. If they feel they would lose anyway they rather climb up the gold mine or pasture and destroy it. Sometimes, the only goal in a barb's life is to survive "just one more turn". A warrior often not attacks the axeman directly but steps on a tile next to him where he will inevitably die as well, but only next turn :lol:

I used Warriors for fogbusting those times and his Archers just walked past my units, went inside my land and pillaged. So it didn't have to do with bad odds I think.

I've have the opposite happen to me. I had small empire of four cities spanning in South to North direction. Four barb swordman spawned East from my terretory, headed for my lightly defended capital (Had 1 archer and whipped 2 more) and then walked right past to attack my neigbour on West ignoring my units and improvements.
I figured this was the barbarian horde event even if there was no message about it, but later they were followed by two warriors and single archer who all just ignored me to grind against axes of my neighbour.

maybe your neighbour spawned the event and is the one who has to bear it? Anyway, it's nice to see that the human player doesn't always have to pull the chestnuts out of the fire :banana:

Top Bottom