[GS] Barb spawn algorithm changed?

EditorRex

Master of Allusion
I waited a few weeks to purchase GS (hoping the first patches would fix the worst bugs and balance issues), so I played my first game last night (3/2/2019). Playing on a Standard Continents Map, Prince level, Level 2 disasters, I'm located on the northern tip of a continent shaped like a fat letter "L." I have about six hexes between my capital and the Northern coast and the same to the Western coast. I wasn't surprised to find barbarians had spawned along these coasts as I began exploration, taking them our with my early military units. And I wasn't surprised when they respawned pretty quickly. And then they respawned again. And again. And again. I don't remember this happening before. It looks as though the algorithm is hard-wired to generate a barbarian camp within close range of my capital if there is a viable location and no camp currently exists. I have repeatedly witnessed it respawning at about three different locations within 1 or 2 turns of me destroying the previous one. This has been unintentionally exploitable, as I've gotten numerous historic events for taking out these camps, but it's frankly a nuisance. I know how to bust up the barbs by getting rid of fog of war and settling, etc. But my question is whether I'm right about this being a change in the algorithm, with much more aggressive spawning of camps near cities. Or is this just a geographic fluke that I never noticed before?

I waited a few weeks to purchase GS (hoping the first patches would fix the worst bugs and balance issues), so I played my first game last night (3/2/2019). Playing on a Standard Continents Map, Prince level, Level 2 disasters, I'm located on the northern tip of a continent shaped like a fat letter "L." I have about six hexes between my capital and the Northern coast and the same to the Western coast. I wasn't surprised to find barbarians had spawned along these coasts as I began exploration, taking them our with my early military units. And I wasn't surprised when they respawned pretty quickly. And then they respawned again. And again. And again. I don't remember this happening before. It looks as though the algorithm is hard-wired to generate a barbarian camp within close range of my capital if there is a viable location and no camp currently exists. I have repeatedly witnessed it respawning at about three different locations within 1 or 2 turns of me destroying the previous one. This has been unintentionally exploitable, as I've gotten numerous historic events for taking out these camps, but it's frankly a nuisance. I know how to bust up the barbs by getting rid of fog of war and settling, etc. But my question is whether I'm right about this being a change in the algorithm, with much more aggressive spawning of camps near cities. Or is this just a geographic fluke that I never noticed before?
At the moment, barbarians very often either spawn more frequently, or there are no barbarians at all, presumably depending on the continent. In all likelihood a bug that will hopefully get fixed in the next patch.

Guess I jumped the gun! But it's good to know I'm not the only who has noticed the Barb spawn issue.
I started a second game landed in a spot where two continents join. It's in 4-hex-wide river valley between mountain chains, so that I can see most of the hexes from my capital. If I go north to the one continent, there's tons of barb activity. If I go south, there's virtually none. As this is despite similar density of AI and CS in each region. So the idea that it's continent-dependent may make sense. Personally, you take the continent with Barbs and I'll take the iron.

After playing a game where I don't think I even saw a barbarian for the entire game, I'm now playing a game as Phoenicia where it's the complete opposite. Started on my own landmass/fairly big island together with a few citystates and yeah... this is one of the barbarian games. The're just popping up everywhere and all the scouts are just completely all over the place. :lol:

Also, I think it's been mentioned already in other threads but I don't think I've gotten a single "invasion force" since GS even though the Scouts make it back to camp.

Top Bottom