Best Defensive Units

DanaLea

Prince
Supporter
If the only reason to have any units at all is to keep other civs from declaring war, which are the best ones?

I never build siege weapons as I don't go to war. I usually make a slinger per city, then upgrade it to an archer. Then I build a cav unit as my second unit (per city).

Should I stick with a range and cav? or are there better options?

There's probably a case for building a large amount of ancient era units such as spearmen or archers, running Conscription, the 1 gold off maintenance costs policy, then you could present a large military strength number without it costing you money. Also if you did get invaded you could tech up and have them be really powerful as AT armies or whatever.

For pure defence you don't need siege weapons like catapults at all so don't build them.

Also walls, while they may not affect the diplomacy make a huge difference if the AI invades.

Far from an expert, but what's worked pretty well for me in defensive/turtle games vs AI is ~2/3rds ranged, with the rest primarily cavalry, with a couple infantry mixed in. I try to keep them getting XP via barb kills or enemy units, rather than idling in my heartland all game. I keep the infantry and some cav on good defensive terrain when possible to soak up damage, and massed ranged behind them do the bulk of the killing.

Kind of goes without saying as well, but I'm a big fan of ships (love me some frigates/battleships!) where applicable. They can harass incoming troops before they hit your defenses, and absolutely demolish city defenses, so your defensive army can jump out and grab some nearby cities from aggressive civs without needing to add seige weapons in. Of course that's dependent on water availability, but when it works, I find the boats to be pretty ideal support to my standard land defensive army.

Ranged units with cavalry IMO as the AI can be ahead, certainly barbs can be ahead. You need those flanking bonuses, speed to get to barbs and pursuit.
A well emplaned encampment is a godsend.
No walls encourages DOW
The red logistics card can really help in this situation.

Spearmen fortified in rough terrain tend to keep cavalry rushes at bay. Add an archer in the city and enemy have no chance.

as far as UU's go the immortals are pretty great. Also, India's Varu and the Chinese Unique unit

Top Bottom