1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to learn?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by zalym, Apr 13, 2008.

1. zalym

zalym Chieftain

I'm still new to CIV4 and its expansions, despite having the game for awhile. I've played enough to get the hang of using units/researching etc. but I just haven't played it enough to really take in the game itself. What in-game settings would you suggest as a way to really learn how to play -- not just how to make decisions but why to make those decisions? Is there a good choice of map/climate/difficulty etc. that would be best for this?

I played through my starting games on the easiest level as its suggested but that was about as exciting as watching paint dry and I don't think it helped with teaching me a proper strategy as I know the AI is put at disadvantages at that level. However I don't know if I'd learn too much of anything by getting killed before A.D. either :blush: but I'm certainly willing to try anything once. Thanks for any help you offer.

2. Merkill

Merkill Chieftain

Try starting at noble or even prince but that will hurt a bit :)
    You will learn more from loosing on a har level than winning on a too easy difficulty.

And use the civilopedia on everything new you find.

3. Trumbo

Trumbo Chieftain

Best way to learn is to play and get your nose bloodied a bit. Those are lessons you never forget. You should also take different approaches with each new game, adapting to the starting circumstances. And ramp up the difficulty level a bit. There is no one, overall strategy for winning Civ IV. And there are as many ways to lose as there are to win.

4. glaivemaster

glaivemaster Prince

There are two good ways to learn that I've seen. One of them is to start easy, work until you're winning/dominating every game with ease, and then move up to the next difficulty. This is the way I did it, starting at the difficulty below Warlord.

The good thing about this is the enjoyment from winning your games while you're still on low difficulty. The bad part is generally getting thrashed for a while when moving up, and the desire to just go back down to lower difficulty levels

The second option is start at Noble level. You'll lose a lot, which isn't much fun, but you'll learn a lot from it, and you're less likely to want to try lower difficulties as opposed to keep going at this one

5. Morgrad

Morgrad Attack Rodent

Go read Sisiutil's ALCs from the first one to the last. All by itself that's worth a two-difficulty level jump for a rookie.

His posts are entertaining and fun, but the discussions inbetween is where the real knowledge comes from.

6. zalym

zalym Chieftain

Thank you for the help. I think I'll bump up the difficulty and take my licks to see what works and what doesn't. Do you suggest a certain map type? I would assume continent or pangea would be the easiest to deal with on standard size?

*edit* I'll go read those as well thanks.

7. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

Different map types have very different feels, with different concerns. On Pangaea, you need to watch your back... but if you get an advantage you can often bag the game then and there. Archipelago maps might seem more challenging at first... but the AI is absolutely drawers at playing them.

Definitely try Noble... you are on about even footing with the computer opponents then, and I think that level best teaches you about the shortcomings of the AI... which will be invaluable once you tackle the higher ones.

Try to vary your gameplay a bit. If you usually collect the whole set of world wonders, try a game without wonders at all. If you usually remain content with a small and advanced empire, try expanding to the limit of your economy or conquer your home continent. Or vice versa.
    One wonderful thing about civ is the sheer number of valid playstyles; you will appreciate this most if you play on a level where you can't do everything at once but where you can still win even if your play is still a little shaky.

8. Kranden

Kranden War is the real diplomacy

try out warlord and play as Rome. Then spam swords with a few axes and crush any neighbors nearby.

9. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Start at Noble difficulty. Read some of the excellent strategy guides and take advantage of the War Academy. Save at various points, and come back to try different strategies.

Welcome to the Forums zalym. :beer:

10. zalym

zalym Chieftain

I'll be starting a game at Noble tonight, wish me luck, I'm quite interested to see how it goes. Thank you for all the advice, I'm sure I'll be back to search around for more...especially the War Academy.

Super49er, thanks for the welcome, thank you all for the help. :hatsoff:

11. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

Good luck... and be sure to come back and gloat :)