• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Bizzare starts on terra custom maps?

babypacman said:
I haven't played the start yet ( I still have the initial save), mainly because my computer doesn't handle large games well...random aside is there anything I can turn off in game options to make it run better? The sytem requirements are pretty ******ed for the type of game civ IV is.

Anyhow if I do play the start at some point, any suggestions? Should I build quechas and rush moscow/berlin when they hit pop 2 for free cities? Or does the too close proximity make them worthless.? I'm trying to think of ways to leverage being Incan and being so close to 2 rivals. Razing their cities on turns 3 and 15 and getting 8-10 gold out of it doesn't seem so great...

I have a 2.8G machine with 1G memory and despite me not having to do this with post-patch vanilla, I now have to do it with this faulty xp. Basically what I've done is tone down a number of unneccessary features and reduce the number of civs and in one huge marathon got deep enough into the game (up to future techs) that I believe it will worj in this manner throughout.

1. Turned off the resource balloons (but use them to check things occasionally).

2. Turned off hex borders (but use them to check things occasionally).

3. Still kept watching enemy movement.

4. Turned off zoom-in battles. I don't think this really makes any difference, as I can't recall the game ever crashing after one of these battles, but it might help in the long run.

5. Kept total civs to 9. I am playing a huge terra at the moment, and with either 8 or 9 civs I haven't had too much of a problem with close home city placement, nor much of any ridiculous over-concentration of resources. I've had room to make basically 6-7 cities without too much effort or war.

6. Reduced the graphical representation for some of the animal resources. If you got through graphics I believe there's stages where you can select specific graphical images at a lower grade.

7. Oh, a seemingly key thing. I used to play the panagea huge marathon and was having problems around the 1900's. I did change all of the above in some ways, but it seemed the most critical thing was that I zoomed in my overall play one level. IOW, I used to zoom it out as far as I could go and still play it, but now one level further in works very well.

I have had a start like that before but Mansa was 3 squares away from me. His starting city had stone and 3 food resources and he left it unguarded. So my warrior walks in and takes the city at 3900 bc. Mansa Munsa 0 Rofl.

To your starting pick, if you would happen to get some bronze or iron in your BFC you are set. GP farm and whipping city. Take over the german capital and go. 8 food sources (drool)!!!

Top Bottom